click the calculate button for calculating Electricity cost per day, per month , cost per year, Energy consumed per day, per month, per year(of microwave oven)
|microwave oven power consumption|
How does a microwave work?
There is an essential component called “magnetron” which produces the wave of electromagnetic energy in a microwave oven.This electromagnetic energy reaches to the water molecules and charged them to deliver the necessary heat. In All “microwave friendly” containers, these electromagnetic waves pass through the container and not heating them, they only heat the food kept in them.
Efficiency Comparison of microwave and gas stove
A microwave oven only heats the food, not the container and the surrounding air.The microwave takes very little time to warm the food in comparison to a gas stove.To compare the gas stove with the microwave oven, various methods of cooking by the American energy(http://energy.gov) efficiency has been tested and evaluated and they have certainly found some interesting facts, which are presented below.
- Heating capacity of Gas 40%
- Heating capacity of Microwave Oven 55%
- Heating capacity of Electric Heating 74%
- Heating capacity of Induction Cooking 84%
Microwave ovens are definitely better in using energy than gas stoves, but it is not as efficient as compared to electric heating or induction cooking. The component called “magnetron” which generates electromagnetic waves consumes more power than other devices, due to which microwave ovens are considered to be slightly less efficient than other devices.
The use of microwave ovens is a little expensive, but it can not take us away from the various benefits of this.There are definitely some myths about the use of microwave ovens, which we will try to clarify here:
1) Microwave oven destroys nutrients in the food: According to the research of Harvard Medical School (http://dwb4.unl.edu),Electromagnetic waves only warm the whole food, but they do not destroy nutrients in the food.
2) Standing near a microwave can be detrimental to health:
People feel that standing near the microwave can have adverse health effects. Such a belief is that microwave ovens produce harmful radiation.
The microwave body is metal, there is a metal trap on the microwave door to keep the radiation inside. According to the American FDA(https://www.health.harvard.edu), no accident-related documentary case has yet been exposed due to the microwave oven radiation.
Things to take into account in the use of microwave oven:
1) Only microwave-friendly containers should be used while using a microwave oven. Some plastic elements emit harmful chemicals after exposure to microwave radiation. Therefore it is always better to use a microwave-optimized container with a microwave oven.
2) Avoid using other metal containers in the microwave oven.under the influence of microwave radiation, an electric field can arise which can lead to occasional sparks. Because of this, it is better to avoid the use of metal containers in the microwave.
How much electricity does a microwave use?
microwave oven in the houses operates 2 hours a day, The average power consumption of the microwave between 300 to 2500 watts.
Let’s take an example and say your model uses 1200 watts
1200 watts X 2 hours = 2,400 watt-hours per day
2,400 watt-hours per day / 1000 = 2.4 kWh per day
2.4 kWh per day X 30 days = 72 kWh per month
72 kWh per month x 0.10 per kWh = $ 7.2 per month
How much electricity does a microwave use on standby?
A microwave in standby mode consumes around 3 watts, you can find exact power consumption on your microwave(generally bottom or below) or on device manual.
3 watts X 24 hours = 72 watt-hours per day
72 watt-hours per day / 1000 = .072 kWh per day
.072 kWh per day X 30 days = 2.16 kWh per month
2.16 kWh per month x 0.10 per kWh = $ .216 per month
Some tips for microwave oven energy savings
- To boil the vegetables in the oven, put them in a ceramic bowl. Mix two or three tablespoons of water in it and cover the ceramic plate over the bowl. Let it cook in steam for 3-4 minutes.
- It is better to add salt when cooking in the microwave oven, after making the meal, take out the bowl and put salt. Therefore, by applying salt before cooking, he absorbs moisture from the food.
- Use plastic wrap to cover food in the microwave oven. Also, after cooking, keep the microwave door open for a while so that the moisture should be out because the moisture can be damaged the oven by staying inside .
- The utensils that are used to make food in the oven must be microwave safe, first check whether the pot is microwave safe or not.
- A simple test can be done for this. Place an empty vessel in microwave. Now place another vessel inside the oven and fill a cup of water in it. Heat it by putting it in the oven for 1 minute.
- In the meantime, if the container is not hot,it is a microwave safe, but if it is too hot, then is not safe.
- Only oval or round shaped utensils should be used in the oven because food is prepared quickly in such vessels,it take short period of time for the cooking, but do not cook in the rectangular and square shaped utensils because these utensils take much time in cooking.
Using these technique you can save both energy consumption and money.
- Microwave helps a lot in cooking. Potatoes are fried in it, roasted eggplants for roasting,vegetables are softened. Papad is stranded without oil in 40 seconds.
- It is very easy to make rice in the microwave. take the cold milk from the fridge and microwave only 30 seconds in the bottle. Serve the cold vegetables kept in the fridge without heating any extra utensils immediately.
- household devices energy consumption
- electricity bill calculator of household
- tv/lcd/led power consumption
- ceiling fan power consumption
- washing machine power consumption
- electric iron power consumption
- clothes dryer power consumption
- crt monitor electricity consumption
- xbox power consumption
- electric kettle power consumption
- dishwasher power consumption
- microwave oven power consumption
- air conditioner power consumption
- water heater power consumption
- space heater power consumption