In this article, we will learn, How to select all records from one table that do not exist in another table using the SQL server or find out records in one table that have no matching records in another table.
Recently I’m working on a Windows Based Project in which I have to Select records from a table, which don’t exist in another table.
There are many different ways of doing this task, with varying efficiency, and the relative size of your two database tables.
Let’s take an example.
I have 2 tables Users and UserEducation in SQL DB. UserEducation has some of the records of the Users i.e educational information of uses.
Now I want is to select all the records from Users 1, which don’t exist in UserEducation i.e I want all users who don’t enter the education information for showing the popup on the website to “Complete their profile”.
SQL query to select record with ID not in another table
1.SQL QUERY Using LEFT JOIN
SELECT t1.Id, t1.name FROM Users t1 LEFT JOIN UserEducation t2 ON t2.UserId = t1.Id WHERE t2.UserId IS NULL Generic Query SELECT TABLE1.Id, TABLE1.Name, FROM TABLE1 LEFT JOIN TABLE2 ON TABLE1.Id = TABLE2.Id WHERE TABLE2.Id IS NULL
In the above SQL query, we select all rows from Users and for each row, we try to find a row in UserEducation with the same value for the Id column. If no row found, then we just leave the UserEducation portion of our result empty.
2.Using “Not In”, the shortest and quickest statement if your Table2 is very short
SELECT Id,name FROM Users WHERE Id NOT IN (SELECT UserId FROM UserEducation) Generic Query SELECT Id,name FROM TABLE1 WHERE Id NOT IN (SELECT Id FROM TABLE2)
3.Alternate solution with NOT EXISTS:
SELECT Id,name FROM Users WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM UserEducation WHERE UserEducation.UserId = Users.Id) Generic Query SELECT Id,name FROM TABLE1 WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM TABLE2 WHERE TABLE2.Id = TABLE1.Id)
4. Using EXCEPT
SELECT * FROM Users EXCEPT SELECT a.* FROM Users a JOIN UserEducation b ON a.ID = b.UserId Generic Query SELECT * FROM TABLE1 EXCEPT SELECT a.* FROM TABLE1 a JOIN TABLE2 b ON a.Id = b.Id
If you have any queries or doubt please comment.
The post [Solved]- find records from one table which don’t exist in another Sql appeared first on Software Development | Programming Tutorials.
Read More Articles
- Linq to SQL Group by and Sum in Select | Linq To SQL Group By and Sum
- How send an HTTP POST request to a server from Excel using VBA?
- What is Difference between where and having clauses in SQL server
- How to Use EXCEPT Operator with an example in Sql
- How to use merge statement in the SQL server
- How to write Re-runnable SQL server query
- How to create Cursor in sql server with example
- How to generate random data in sql server for performance testing
- How to write subquery in select statement in Sql
- How to Log record changes in SQL server in an audit table
- SQL query to remove some items based on condition
- How to capture data values to the power of ^ (...) in SQL Server?
- INFORMATION_SCHEMA vs sysobjects
- SQL Server: Is it worth placing BLOB/CLOB columns near the "end" of a table?
- SQL Server - CASE within a CASE checking for NULL
- Adjust data types automatically when importing
- Store representations in SQL rather than whole strings?
- Is there a way to force a trigger to run on an update statement with multiple rows?
- Select distinct columns sql server
- What is the best way to store DateTime in SQL Server to provide maximum search speed at large table?
- SQL Server : conditional concatenation
- Error in the return value of the stored procedure
- Creating a distinct list of names with dynamic columns
- Why is this UPDATE statement on varbinary(max) on SQL Server so slow?
- How to copy data from one database/table to another Remote one by it's Ip
- Sql - Row as column
- How can I get row's index from a table in SQL Server?
- "multi-part identifier could not be bound" error
- Dapper returns different column name
- ssms tools pack unauthorized access exception
- Best way to pass a huge xml parameter to stored procedure
- SQL Server - parse GPX file
- Deleting objects through foreign key relationship with T-SQL query
- SQL Server -replace repetitive words in a column with single word
- SQL Pivot String Data
- Unable to retrieve a row with highest value of a column using row number and group by
- Convert SQL cmd statement to stored procedure
- Hibernate SQL Server Connection
- Converting Varchar to Datetime on SQL Server
- multi condition on different rows
- Is there a way to import data from old MS Access database to New SQL Server?
- Get the previous amount of accounts?
- Pivot on column with multiple values for a group without aggregation, with all Combinations
- Dynamic pivot a 3 column table
- [ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SSL Security error (18)
- Sql Server - Insufficient result space to convert uniqueidentifier value to char
- Database backup SQL Server 2008
- Dropping tables using dynamic SQL
- How can I relate multiple ids to a single row in MS SQL Server?
- How to us a LIKE against an IN or list in SQL Server
- ASP.NET core Identity - by default why are the database primary key defined "nvarchar" and not "UniqueIdentifier"?
- SQL Server Clustering limit?
- Is there a "poor man's" alternative to RedGate for scripting out entire database schema?
- Convert DateTime.Parse() format to date and time in jqgrid
- What source control do you use for Report Builder 2.0?
- Why does using XML Path('') return a blue underlined data and how to remove it?
- Composite primary keys in N-M relation or not?
- Running Entity Code First Migrations on App_Start on SQL Azure
- The SELECT permission on table of user's own schema was denied
- Is there any performance gain from CommandBehavior.SequentialAccess?
- application has failed to start because the side by side configauration is incorrect
- EXCEPT returning unpredictable results
- multi part identifier could not be bound
- SSIS Can't Store Decimal Output Into Variable (Execute SQL Task)
- SQL: Showing column name of calculated result
- Bulk Insert using QueryCommand object
- SQL Server LIKE, WILDCARDS, AND, OR operator, braces
- Management Studio "Import CSV" vs sqlcmd many INSERTs
- Use data separated by delimiters in Sql Procedure
- SQL select row into a string variable without knowing columns
- SQL query to count number of rows with same value
- Issue in case statement
- how to insert datetime into time(0) field
- SQL Server 2012 Full Text Search on RTF
- SQL ERROR : Column already has a DEFAULT bound to it
- How to import several SSIS Packages to Data Tools Solution automatically?
- How can I group a set of similar results and add up values for one final result in SQL?
- Code to read and then write a file into a SQL Server BLOB column producing files with different bytes
- SQL select where column begins with Letters
- Is there an implementation of Tom Kyte's STRAGG function supporting SQL Server?
- How to create a Database user in Entity Framework
- Why does this OdbcConnection throw me a System.InvalidOperationException?
- Equivalent of Oracle export for SQL Server and/or db2
- How to perform left join in linq having multiple table joins
- converting varchar to datetime in tsql
- Compare and update two characters in a string
- Print an error message when there is the input parameter is null and terminate the procedure
- What are prepared statements? How are they different from dynamic sql?
- What does this SQL character mean? Difference between @ and @@
- Connecting to sql server using access vba
- EF insert in link table creates entries in one of the parent tables
- sql get duplicate column values grouped by another column
- Data design & efficiency: get members from all child groups (nested)
- How to use varchar variable in SQL?
- Populate schema_only table with some initial values
- Relatively complex Query in EntitySpaces returns different results than when executed for real
- How to rollup duplicated records to specific record in query results
- Clone a SQL Server Database w/ all new Primary Keys
- joining table causes exponential increase in query time
- How to reset Autoincremented Id when rollback occurs in sql
- Use Parameter In OPENROWSET Sql Server
- Delete Rows in table if condition is true
- Multi step table value function faster than inline table value function
- Exception handling in SSIS Package Dynamic Connection
- SELECT from multiple queries
- multiple group by for a table query
- SQL Get the row number of the inserted row
- SQL Variable that means the same as *
- How to force Entity Framework to generate separate WHERE clauses?
- SQL Argument data type int is invalid for argument 1 of charindex function
- SQL Server R service - query results as character instead of factor
- Difference between different string types in SQL Server?
- Displaying multiple images in one datalist template cell
- Stored procedure unexpected result not desired
- selecting all but the last X rows from a join in sql server
- SQL CLR Scalar Function cached results
- How to Get Sensitive Information Into SSIS Script Component in a Data Flow
- Calling SQL server 2008 Stored Procedure from Java
- Is string_split() injection safe?
- SMO.Restore.SqlRestore sometimes throws a timeout exception on deployed computers
- SQL "WHERE" with Division
- OR keyword in a CASE WHEN which is itself in a WHERE clause
- Unique Name for each UserID constraint in "Check Constraint Expression" window
- Handling unused disk space in sql server db
- SQL Query - format data from same table
- Need to delete three consecutive days excluding weekends and holidays in sql
- Connecting C# with SQL Server Database in a Local Area Network (LAN)
- Building a Query that breaks out spend by month. (turning one row into multiple rows)
- Couldn't install SSMS: A pending restart is blocking setup from completing
- Linq to Sql Count Include joins
- Convert SQL Server query to LINQ lambda query for two different cols from two different table that are related
- SQL- use an attribute to group activities and use the group as parameter
- Geometry error on one server but not the other with same data
- Help with cross join creating a week view calendar
- Migrating multiple tables data from SQL Server to Oracle
- Sql Datetime throw Error converting data type varchar to datetime
- how to connect to SQL server that works on computer that uses proxy
- Combine update with select statement
- How to fix 'Unable to Obtain Authentication Token' in Active Directory Authentication to Azure Analysis Server
- PDO Exception : Tried to bind parameter number 65536. SQL Server supports a maximum of 2100 parameters
- SQL Server: Stored Procedure trying to insert NULL?
- Advantages of SQLServer vs. MySQL for C#/.NET4 Cloud Applications
- Updating a column in SQL Server with difference in value of some column in another table
- SQL inner join multiple tables to one on similar key
- Return records that only have a certain status from a select query that includes multiple joins
- SQL moving columns to rows
- Renaming a column without breaking the scripts and stored procedures
- How to import from sql dump to MongoDB?
- String+Number Generator in c#
- ORM for SQL Server on Node.js
- update duplicate record
- Help with a sql search query using a comma delimitted parameter
- SQL Server 2017 - Bulk Insert SQLBIT type using format file and FORMAT = CSV parameter
- Concatenate the result of a SELECT Query into one NVARCHAR Variable
- Call stored procedure using ExecuteSqlCommand (expects parameters which was not supplied)
- How to know most used procedure in my database?
- Storing result set for later fetch
- simple Merge delete failing
- Split double character of middle initial using CASE expression in a SQL Server stored procedure
- T-SQL SELECT TOP Value and increment