In this post will discuss the SQL server EXCEPT Operator with a few examples. So what does except operator do? EXCEPT operator returns unique rows from the left query that are not in the right query results.
Let’s understand this with an example. We’ll be using these two tables, TblCustomerSource and TblCustomerTarget.
I’ve already created these tables and here is the SQL script to create them and populate them with test data.
Now let’s write a query that’s going to involve both these tables and the EXCEPT operator.when we execute the below query, what is the result that we expect.
What is this except operator going to do?
It’s going to return as the rows from the left query that are not there in the right query results. And if we look at these two tables, records, that is employee Colton and Jaxson, those two records are present in both the tables. So when we execute above except query, it should only return as the first two rows.
This operator is introduced in SQL Server 2005. The most important thing to keep in mind is that to work the EXCEPT operator ,number and the order of the columns must be the same in both the queries and the data types must also be either same or compatible.
What’s going to happen if the number and the order of the columns are not the same?
For example, let’s remove the gender column first query. So in this query, we only have two columns, whereas in the second query we have got three columns and if I execute the query we get an error.
Now, in this example, we have returned the results that are present in table A, but not in Table B. Now, what if you want the other way around?
I want the rows that are present in table B, but not in table A. If that’s the case, you can reverse queries.
So when we execute the query, we only get the rows that are present in table B but not in Table A.
Now here we have seen how to use the EXCEPT operator on two different tables. Is it possible to use it on a single table? Absolutely. You can use it on a single table and you can even have where clause.
So for the single table example will use table TblProfessor, again I have already created that in populated it with test data. And here is the SQL script to do that
So when we execute the below query, select * from [dbo].[TblProfessor] it’s going to give us all the employee rows
Right now what I want to do is where clause. Where salary is greater than or equal to 40000.
select * from [dbo].[TblProfessor] Where EmployeeSalary >= 40000
So what is this going to do? It’s going to give us all the professors who have a salary greater than or equal to 40000. Now I’m going to use EXCEPT operator.
when we execute the above query, we should only get those professors whose salary is between 40000 and 70000. So we’re using it on the same table
Now we can also use order By clause,but you have to use it after the right query. That is after the second query. You can’t use order by in the first query when using EXCEPT.
Read More Articles
- Linq to SQL Group by and Sum in Select | Linq To SQL Group By and Sum
- How send an HTTP POST request to a server from Excel using VBA?
- What is Difference between where and having clauses in SQL server
- How to Use EXCEPT Operator with an example in Sql
- How to use merge statement in the SQL server
- How to write Re-runnable SQL server query
- How to create Cursor in sql server with example
- How to generate random data in sql server for performance testing
- How to write subquery in select statement in Sql
- How to Log record changes in SQL server in an audit table
- SQL Query to return 24 hour, hourly count even when no values exist?
- How can I ensure that a BULK INSERT will insert my flat file's rows in order?
- SQL-Server: How do I insert multiple rows with data from a temp table + store the ID of the inserted rows in the temp table
- Update SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2008: Benefits please?
- How to get max date of previous year in a dataset with a window-function in SQL Server
- Degraded insert performance in SQL Server 2017 comparing with 2008 R2
- Keyboard shortcut to surround a column name with [ and ]
- Why does SSMS highlight the word UID as a keyword and what does it mean?
- SQL Server Maximum Row size Vs Varchar(Max) size
- How to copy a database from one computer to another?
- Create user script with variable domain user login
- Visual Studio 2008 doesn't connect to SQL Server 2008
- How to generate an unnested array in BigQuery using existing timestamp
- recursive sql query with sub running totals
- Management Studio Diffrent files after backup
- T-SQL (Azure) count the content of a 'cell'
- How to insert Huge dummy data to Sql server
- Looking for multiples substrings within a SQL string
- Retrieving failed jobs from a table with retry details (id and retry count)
- SQL Query With Nested Sum
- Is there meta data I can read from SQL Server to know the last changed row/table?
- SQL Server : trigger stops working
- SQL Server / Create view from stored procedure
- eExecuteDataSet for system.data.common.dbCommand?
- HL7 v2X and v3 data modeling
- query using data within and outside a filtered index
- SSIS get only Year of a derived column that is a datetime
- SQL: generate schedule table with different frequencies
- How to to make a bulk-insert from SQL Tables into Postgres using Powershell
- How do I force SqlCommand to not encode parameters as unicode/nvarchar?
- How to make XML values comma separated using XPath, XQuery in SQL Server
- Import CSV files using BCP to Azure SQL Server
- How to make a query with group_concat in sql server/powerpivot
- Why is Filtered Statistics being ignored
- Archive checked records in grid view (Change 0 to 1 in database)
- SQL Server + select row and its sub table contents
- How much does wrapping inserts in a transaction help performance on Sql Server?
- SQL Server CHOOSE() function behaving unexpectedly with RAND() function
- Connection problems with SQL Server in ASP.NET applications using out-of-process session state
- Get parent rows where multiple child rows meet different conditions
- Why Access don't update this?
- Looping through SQL Server table, running stored procedure for the row, and put results in to a table
- Replacing null values with 0 in visual basic and SQL Server
- Invalid cast exception while querying 'time' field with NHibernate
- FREETEXT not working with thesaurus file SQL Server 2012
- what is mssql exception code for "shutdown is in progress. login failed for user ''yyyx''. only administrators may connect at this time."
- Spring Boot - Connect to a SQL Server Database using Windows Authentication
- Concatenating two tables distributively
- SSIS - SharePoint - Network Path Not Found
- NULL Values on query condition
- How to search a value in all tables in a database in sql server
- Velocity caching and IS
- To find those values in column whose values are near by to 10,20,30...so on through sql query
- Web App occassionally returns wrong data set under moderate to heavy load. How do I fix?
- Passing parameters to Stored Procedures in Shared Datasets in SSRS
- SQL Server CASE With concatenating columns
- Is there any built-in function to calculate percentage in SQL Server
- SQLServer Order By IGNORE NULL values
- Run-time error in VBA when SQL table doesn't exist
- What happen if I made a Differential Backup without Full Backup in same drive?
- Insert trigger checking for specific column
- SQL Server - Existing Records on INSERT creating really high autonumber value
- Generate script from database in c#
- TSQL Define Temp Table (or table variable) Without Defining Schema?
- Is there any way to generate a cascade delete statement?
- Running 'SET' command in SQL, prior to SELECT
- How to Keep Modifier ID in System Versioned Temporal Tables?
- Is it possible to do a left outer join where something other than NULL fills the non-values?
- SQL server query running extremely slow
- Get most recent event using JOIN
- Do table statistics get updated during the creation of a clustered index?
- How can i add a extra column while importing excel into database?
- SQL Server replace function bug?
- How to run a SQL batch within an Azure runbook?
- SQL - Return records with highest version for each quotation ID
- SQL Query Dividing 1 column to 3 columns
- SQL query relation between tables
- How can I read and write PNG files to my database?
- Find % using LIKE
- How can I resolve the "Table 'dbo.Foo' already exists." error when the table does not exist?
- Return Array of Column Names if Index is True (SQL Server 2008)
- MS SQL Server - How to export all Stored procedures from my machine to my friends machine?
- SELECT inside INSERT query?
- SQL Server split a single column multiple times
- How to get all id's from inserted table
- Complex editing on a gridview in C#
- Getting Hibernate and SQL Server to play nice with VARCHAR and NVARCHAR
- Select specific result only from multiple results and combinations
- How to Search datetime in Sql server 2008R2
- Should multi tenant mean multiple instances?
- SQL Server 2012: Add a linked server to PostgreSQL
- SQL server - estimate execution time and get progress of alter table command
- how to use > = condition in sql case statement?
- No SQL Server Data Tools in VS 2013 ultimate installed
- How to get distinct on specific column w.r.t inserting order using sql server?
- Android studio how to access server files?
- What is the most efficient way to SELECT data from a second SQL Server instance?
- How to search a varbinary field in SQL Server?
- Joining multiple tables results in duplicate rows
- How do I use ROW_NUMBER()?
- Tricky SQL Query for rolling credits
- Cannot access SQL Server database using jtds
- Datetime field in XML gets an hour added for some reason when storing in database via SSIS
- SQL Server - Convert VarChar to Date in ALTER TABLE
- How to retrieve two different XML tags using "FROM OPENXML" in SQLServer
- Database timestamps returning intriguing values
- SQL Server Import and Export wizard gives invalid object error on stored procedure with temp table
- Allow application role to perform DBCC CHECKDB
- T-SQL question about manipulation on strings
- "INSERT EXEC statement cannot be nested" with dynamic query
- Scaling values in a column
- Reset Running Total in MS SQL Server based on condition
- Append Access query into SQL Server table using VBA
- How do I improve SQL Server query performance when doing a LIKE over many columns
- T-SQL variable counter not incrementing
- I want to select UserId that contains value and does not contain value
- Substitute interval 1 day to SQL server syntax
- View MDX query generated while browsing a cube in SSMS
- Best way to have 2 connections to sql server (one read one write)
- Sql Server - Query help (group by with having MAX)
- How to detect/disable Standard or Enterprise features in SQL Server Developer edition
- Function to add character between concatenation of strings
- SQL Server Date Range Problem When Using Data From Web Server Logs
- Splitting a VARCHAR column into multiple columns
- sum COALESCE 0 instead of null
- Duplicate log entries due to nested containers
- How to Insert Videos in Sql-Server using C#?
- Selecting all parents in the order of relation from hierarchical table SQL
- Sql geometry polygon direction and crossing the International Date Line (IDL)
- Dynamic grouping of data|| SQL query needed
- Get record from DB using reflection and generic type
- Replace newline in ntext
- SQL: Select distinct children ordered by property of related child
- Does inserting data into SQL Server lock the whole table?
- Table modification/recalculation with SQL (reduce with look ahead and look back)
- Common Record from 2 tables in SQL Server
- Which table are Aliases stored in?
- group by top two results based on order
- Is there unpivot or cross apply in ServiceStack ormlite?
- Is the 'WITH' clause only syntactic sugar?
- SQL: Clause LIKE work incorrect with variable
- SSIS Catalog environment variables
- tSQLt simple SELECT statement - what tests do I need? Best practice
- How to overwrite on an insert into a Sql Server table if primary key already exists?
- How I can avoid function USER_ID() in WHERE clause
- Return 4 separate counts for single column in SSRS DataSet
- CLR stored procedure deploy to multiple SQL Server clusters
- Query a "Mapping table" to return a specific set of results that contain a specific set of options in SQL
- How can I convert a float into int using the 'round' method in SQL Server?