i had similar situation and by googling for a while i found out that this is most likely because your central repository index might never have been updated. for this what you can do is
- go to window > show view > other > type maven in filter and select maven repositories.
- in maven repositories tab expand global repositories, right-click on central and update index.
also you can set up index to update on eclipse startup windows > preferences > maven and check "download repository index updates on startup".
hope this helps some one else.
i did "in maven repositories tab expand global repositories, right-click on central and update index", it did not work, then click left expand triangle, it ran, and wait for while. now it works
i had the same problem. i have done what yogi and erasmus77 said but after all the message "artifact id cannot be empty" remained. so i ignored the message and i wrote the dependency in the search bar and then results appeared!
thank you for this question!
in case it can help someone... i had the same problem, tried to fix it doing all the steps everyone is mentioning in the other answers and i couldn't fix it like that. in the end, the solution was to delete the content of the settings.xml file in my .m2 folder. for some reason, it was using a different global repository, not the default maven one. after that, i got the expected behaviour.
i recently had this same issue. i followed all of the suggestion above and the problem persisted. then i opened the "local repository", right click on the "local repository" sub link>rebuild index. that fixed the issue. so, if "rebuild index" on the "global repository/central" doesn't work, try "rebuild index" on the "local repository/local repository"
another gotcha is that it won't start searching until you've entered several characters
i had same problem! it is because you do not have sts (spring tool suite) installed. go to marketplace install it and it is gonna work!
i solved the same problem by going to window > show view > other > maven > maven repositories
expand global repositories right click central > rebuild index (wait for it) when it finishes expand local repositories and do the same for the local repository (rebuild index) if you encounter some error simply try again. it worked for the second time and now i can search maven repo.
very strange but now it worked using the following way:
- add some dependency directly in the pom.xml
- save the pom.xml to trigger the change. now the library added directly appears in the project.
- now i also got messages in the status bar like "indexing... " and "searching repository"
- i am now able to add an dependency using the method from the question. it now retrieves a list of artifacts of which i can choose.
maybe a bug as also the add dialog should trigger the first repository search/indexing.
the information: "artifact id cannot be empty" still appears and had nothing to do with the problem.
windows > preferences > maven and check "download repository index updates on startup".
restart and you're all fixed.
- Cannot search for artifact in Eclipse Kepler using m2e plugin
- Cannot search for artifact in Eclipse Kepler using m2e plugin - "Gives Artifact id empty"
- Maven for Eclipse 1.5.0 plugin cannot be installed under Kepler
- Cannot install QAML Builder Plugin for QAFE platform in eclipse kepler
- Cannot install Cobertura plugin for Eclipse
- Cannot complete installing Google Plugin for eclipse
- noClassDefFoundError using Scala Plugin for Eclipse
- Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration for maven-plugin-plugin in m2e 1.5.x / Eclipse Luna
- why does m2e plugin for eclipse insert optional attribute to src and what does it do
- Search for Folder Name Using Eclipse "Search in File"
- null pointer exception for new google appending using eclipse plugin
- Facing issues installing m2e maven plugin for Eclipse Juno
- Search for text inside decompiled classes using JD and Eclipse
- Creating a helloWorld plugin for Android using Cordova and Eclipse
- Maven project dependency error in eclipse using m2e plugin (for maven)
- How to install groovy plugin for eclipse without using the update site link
- Cannot install google plugin for eclipse 3.7
- Eclipse plugin for automatic help search of a selected text
- Using sqlitegen plugin in Eclipse for Android
- using EvoSuite plugin for eclipse on Windows 7 OS
- Cannot set __ANDROID__ Symbol with NDK Plugin for Eclipse
- Search for the references to a layout xml file in android code using eclipse IDE for android
- import error while adding TextEditor to eclipse plugin - Cannot find the class file for org.eclipse.jface.text.revisions.RevisionInformation
- The Eclipse plugin cannot communicate with the GlassFish server check for antivirus software blocking or monitoring this port
- Cannot delete outdated artifact from ivy cache with IvyDE plugin in Eclipse
- GAE and GWT - Using Maven instead of Google plugin for Eclipse
- Dart Plugin For Eclipse - Using a network Proxy
- Error using maven-gae and google plugin for eclipse (GPE)
- Android project using Eclipse gives error: Cannot switch on a value of type String for source level below 1.7
- Using playframework with the scala worksheet plugin for eclipse
More Query from same tag
- TOMCAT - HTTP Status 404
- Java - Scanner Error & printing error
- What are configurations in Gradle?
- Using JSON in Eclipse
- Can't install Eclipse plugin
- External jar configuration when debugging JSP in eclipse
- removing a hashmap entry and writing it to a file
- Fully decompile java6 web application
- Missing artifact "sun.jdk:jconsole:jar:jdk"
- Android .apk doubles size depending on dev box used to deploy since v17 tools
- Error on calling method inside AlertDialog
- How do I relative reference a library in Eclipse?
- Papyrus: Hide/remove base_Class property from stereotypes
- Android GCM Registration is failing
- Cannot get class-files from Java-package in eclipse
- How to generate Javadoc HTML in Android Studio?
- How do IDE's "know" when an object needs to be in a try/catch block?
- Maven dependency without cycling?
- Hyperlink to open File in Eclipse Editor
- intent is undefined tried a lot , nothing works
- How to Format Text in Eclipse with cfeclipse plug-in
- How to add a library into Processing from Eclipse platform?
- Where does Eclipse store the information regarding "Run Favorites" or "Debug Favorites"?
- Install previous version of GPE?
- Where can I find information about the Eclipse Architecture Standard?
- Installing a library in Eclipse?
- Eclipse Git - No "Add to Index" option
- Empty SRC folder after import from github
- Launching DroolsTest aka "Hello World" failure
- Why does one need the Eclipse Snippets View when editor templates already exist?