after the previous comments i was able to identify the root cause of this issue. while this is a bit specific to our use case, i share this with the community nonetheless.
this is basically caused by the timestamps of the files. my work directory is an nfs mount of another server. for some strange reason* the clock on that server is delayed. this means that if it's 9:00 and i change the jsp file, the file will be timestamped with 8:40.
there might have been a change in jetty from 6 to 8 regarding the strategy used for jsp file reloading - while jetty 6 does not seem to care about the file's timestamp and refreshes anyway, jetty 8 is more sensitive and does not reload the file.
so the "solution" here was simply to update the remote nfs server's clock.
*meaning the ntp deamon is running, i can ping the ntp servers, other machines on the same networks have the same ntp settings and yet this machine is still having its clock drift
mmalmeida, i've tested this scenario using the standard jetty-test-webapp. i put a jsp in src/main/webapp/jsp that forwards to another jsp in src/main/webapp/web-inf. starting the jetty maven plugin with mvn jetty:run, the forward happens correctly. if i leave the plugin running and modify the jsp in web-inf, and do a shift-reload on the browser, it picks up the changed page as expected.
note that you do not need to declare scantargets or anything else of that nature. the above behaviour (jsp reload) is a function of the jsp engine, which when running in development mode will check the timestamps on jsp files as it receives requests, and recompile on the fly as necessary.
i think you'll have to provide more details about your specific webapp - in particular how your setup is different to the test scenario i just described - in order to get any further with this.
there have been a host of improvements to the plugin since jetty-6 days to run a variety of different project configurations. take a look at the documentation page for the plugin, choose the scenario that best meets you needs and adapt the configuration as needed. i suspect your case is under 'running an unassembled webapp'.
i'll note that for jetty-9 we are finally bringing the plugin over to eclipse so it can live with the project which will change the groupid to org.eclipse.jetty, the jetty-maven-plugin for 9.0.0.m2 will be in central early next week (documentation to be updated for that as well still)
- What maven-jetty-plugin 8 configuration allows reloading of JSP files when they change?
- Use checkstyle configuration from plugin when generating eclipse files from maven
- Is Hot-Deploy of JSP files with Jetty Maven Plugin (from within Eclipse) using Maven's WAR-Overlays possible without restarting Jetty?
- What is the best free plugin for Eclipse that allows for formatting/indenting/cleanup of JSP code?
- Unable to see log output of Spring when starting Jetty from Maven plugin
- What are the gigantic *.CFS files all about in Eclipse workspace plugin folder?
- Where does Maven store the source and javadocs when downloaded via the Eclipse plugin
- How can I run a Maven webapp in Eclipse when I use profiles to populate properties files at build time?
- limit jetty scanning in maven plugin
- Eclipse Maven Plugin Configuration Problem
- Files in src/main/resources not copied when using maven and eclipse
- Maven does not add dependency jar files to project when importing to eclipse
- Adding license to new files when using Eclipse and the Copyright wizard plugin
- New line after every tag in eclipse when editing jsp files
- How to add specific configuration to a Maven plugin
- Installed MacVim, and now Eclipse is opening JSP files in it when i don't want it to
- Eclipse maven plugin getting HTTP 416 when retrieving jar
- GWT Maven - webapp files getting deleted when running in dev mode
- eclipse plugin modifying launch configuration files
- Maven webapp with Eclipse and WTP plugin deploy files in stranges ways in Tomcat
- Debugging with Jetty Maven Plugin in Eclipse on multi module project: Compilation unit not on the build path
- What are the common tricks in eclipse when working with jsp files?
- Maven Jetty plugin compatibility issue
- What is the 'Deployed Resources' folder when I create a maven project with WAR packaging?
- Configuration files when running java program in Eclipse IDE
- How to fix 'No plugin found for prefix 'archetype' error when creating a maven project
- External jar configuration when debugging JSP in eclipse
- Error with maven when creating a bukkit plugin
- When do files in the Android getCacheDir() get deleted? What is a better option for long term storage?
- Unable to update Maven configuration Could not calculate build plan: Plugin org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin:2.5
More Query from same tag
- Indenting single line comment code add spaces in Eclipse
- How do I make eclipse print out weird characters in unicode?
- Using Subclipse - merge
- How to insert and retrieve data from database with Web Service in java using JAX - RS and tomcat in eclipse
- Could not connect to New SQL Server in eclipse
- Ext Js 4 MVC with Spring and Hibernate "Remote Exception" thrown on application startup
- how to Capture https with fiddler, in java
- Exported plug-in is not loaded when starting Eclipse
- How can I add a constraint in Cplex (java) about an argmax o min?
- Adding Robotium for all test projects
- how to get the PreferenceStore in XText generated plugin
- how to add tooltip on the entries and NOT on the combo in JFace ComboViewer
- How to set Horizontal scroll enabled for SWT Scrolled Composite
- Java formatter in Eclipse - change java.lang.Object references to Object, add import statement as necessary
- How to call a paint class from another .jar file
- Google Plugin for Eclipse Mars: No option to "deploy to AppEngine"
- Integrating custom imageView class in fragment
- Eclipse run test one by one
- Beginner - using variables defined in one class in another class
- Java application hanging if network is modified
- Eclipse Indigo - Cannot install Android ADT Plugin
- Can't use GWTquery in GWT
- How to get Spring-roo org.springframework.roo.annotations artifact via Nexus
- Vim integration with Aptana / Eclipse that includes usage of .vimrc files?
- Eclipse m2e connector for JAX-WS org.codehaus.mojo
- Issue with deployment on Wildfly 17.0.1.Final
- Programming Java 8 in Eclipse
- SVN checkout doesn't create packages - java
- Android-sdk folder doesn't appear inside Program files