find/replace cannot be used as a view. here are two ways to find text without obstructing the search:
- use incremental search (ctrl+j)
- use the quick search plugin (ctrl+shift+l)
pros and cons
both approaches behave differently from the traditional find/replace and may require some getting used to.
it works out of the box, no need to install a plugin, but it (currently) does not support pasting nor searching for the current selection (but there is ctrl+k for the latter). you can use up and down or repeat ctrl+j or ctrl+shift+j to jump between matches.
this still opens a dialog, but one which integrates the search results rather than obscuring them. i suggest resizing it to have a good preview size.
the default shortcut shadows the "show key assist" original, but this can be changed. it is an extra install and afaik only supports case sensitive searches, but it supports searching for the selection and pasting.
it shows matches across files, starting with the top open editor (if you have more than one visible, e.g. side by side, it sometimes does not start with the one you were last on). you can move between matches with up and down and hit enter to go back to the editor on the selected match.
i suppose on osx you can replace ctrl with cmd in keyboard shortcuts above to achieve the same, but i could not test it. the shortcuts can be customized in preferences->general->keys
eclipse's find / replace dialog is a dialog, not a view, so you can't drag and drop it to one of the view areas.
here's a eclipse search plugin that might work for you. scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to get the software update link.
worst case, you could write your own eclipse plug-in that creates a view that does a find / replace.
- Eclipse - Find and Replace Dialog Always Opening Maximized
- How to show find replace dialog in SourceViewer(On Shortcut Ctrl+F)
- Cannot find "Package Explorer" view in Eclipse
- Eclipse Juno: Can't find fast view bar
- Using eclipse find and replace all to swap arguments
- eclipse - find and replace underscore character in variables names
- Find and Replace text in Eclipse
- eclipse on mac: replace dialog - shortcut for replace all action
- Android: How should I respond to "Hot Code Replace Failed" dialog in Eclipse?
- Eclipse regex find and replace
- In the activator class of an Eclipse plugin how can I find view instances?
- how to make "open resource" dialog in eclipse only find *.js files, not *.jsp?
- Move console and logcat view to bottom
- How to add an e4 eclipse part into Show View dialog
- Find Replace Hotkeys In Eclipse
- Eclipse change case in regex find and replace
- find id of currently selected view in Eclipse RCP application
- how to open the find type dialog programmatically in eclipse
- find and replace in eclipse "go to nth character position"
- Move Eclipse's Find/Replace dialog to a view?
- Keyboard shortcut for "Replace/Find" while doing a find and replace in Eclipse
- Eclipse find and replace
- How to find and replace System.out.println with log.info using reg expression in eclipse
- Find and replace any possible instances of "StringVar1 == StringVar2" with "String1.equals(String2)" in a large Java codebase with Eclipse
- Eclipse : Find a line of text and replace it with two lines of text
- RegEx for Find and replace all ArrayList<something> with ArrayList<> in eclipse
- Eclipse local Find Replace macro with predefined terms?
- How to find the preference key for a certain setting in the Preferences dialog
- How to find the size of a view in a Eclipse plugin?
- Java SWT/JFace TreeViewer move nodes by drag/drop in view
More Query from same tag
- Can I create a Neon distribution that has all the add-on and project information?
- Ignore errors in JNI C++ code, eclipse
- Photran says "At least one configuration should be available. Project cannot be created." when creating a fortran project in eclipse
- Trying to implement Moxtra to my Android application, its giving me an Heap Space error. Any Solutions?
- Install SVN connector offline
- "New Spring Starter Project" wizard in STS 3.8.4 shows "IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 403 for URL: http://start.spring.io"
- "Cannot be resolved as a type"
- try/catch to run facebook app
- displaying a dialog using an activity?
- Android TTS fails to speak large amount of text
- Maven native dependences in Eclipse
- Undo/Redo with Eclipse-Databinding and without EMF
- How to configure -D arguments in Eclipse
- Eclipse PDE - Plug-in, Feature, and Product Versioning
- can maven clean delete deleted dependency?
- Red Hat Developer Studio 12 Project Explorer Not Responding
- Eclipse Unhandled event loop exception with Birt
- How can I get Eclipse (or any IDE) to index .td files?
- Running web.xml from Eclipse results in HTTP Status 404
- java was started but returned exit code
- How to use eclipse JDT plugin
- How do I configure Eclipse to work on Qt-based applications in a subversion tree?
- Eclipse- How do you enable this class option from the File menu?
- mvn android:deploy -> Unfortunately App has stopped
- Eclipse Window Builder error under Java 10
- SOAP-Request with Vector, Cast-Error
- How can I change the background color of the Mylyn task view?
- Where do Eclipse sub-processes (launched with the "run" menu) show up?
- Show Google Map View Tab - Delay in Loading Markers from Geocoding?
- How to tell app what to do after an item is selected from a dialog?