i am not sure if you missed this documentation. i used to do remote debugging in my dev mode where my server is running in the vm. i can suggest you two solutions.
if you are using a version prior to gwt 2.5 you have to give the
noserver argument in launch configuration providing the url for the host page in the server (tomcat etc). i have extracted the steps from above documentation.
- configure your server however you need to; note the url which contains the host page for your gwt application.
- arrange all your static content files (such as the host html page, images, css, etc.) on the server however you like.
- edit your development mode execution script (such as your eclipse run configuration or the ant development build target generated by the gwt webappcreator) and add or update the following options: • add the -noserver command line argument. • change the url at the end of the argument list to match the url you recorded in step #1.
- compile your application once using the ant build target. ideally, you can use gwt's -war option to generate output files directly into your external server's static content folder. otherwise, you'll need to copy the the gwt output folder from war/ to your external server's static content.
if you are using 2.5 or above you can use super dev mode. in super dev mode you can debug using the browser so no need of eclipse plugin. i have tried this and worked fine. however i was unable to load the java sources using source maps. here is the documentation for superdevmode configuration.
it's really easy, just follow these steps:
get google plugin for eclipse
the in eclipse, right click on your project and choose debug as -> web application (running on external server)
enter url of your web app on tomcat (like
and eclipse will give you new one - it will add stuff like ?gwt.codesvr=127.0.0.1:9997 and that's it. just set up your breakpoints and debug!
also take a look on this
- Debug GWT app locally/remotely while running on Tomcat
- Can't Remotely Debug Tomcat Running on CentOS Virtual Machine from Eclipse on Host Windows 7
- How to debug Celery/Django tasks running locally in Eclipse
- How to modify Java code while running in debug mode?
- How do I get maven managed dependencies copied into war\web-inf\lib so I can run my GWT 2.0 app in debug mode within Eclipse?
- Drop to frame feature disabled in Eclipse Debug while running testcases using JUnit
- debug GWT on tomcat using eclipse
- Eclipse maven-enabled web app references workspace projects, but those are not deployed when running Tomcat server
- Debug an already running app without restarting it
- Running GWT on tomcat in eclipse
- Debug GWT Application with Tomcat (Eclipse)
- Request resource is not found 404 error while running maven project on tomcat in eclipse
- Deploying GWT app to tomcat in eclipse
- use eclipse to debug tomcat web app
- Eclipse hangs while opening workspace after upgrading to GWT 2.0/Google app engine 1.2.8
- 404 error when running Jersey web app on Tomcat 7 in Eclipse
- Running Maven Struts2 app on tomcat
- Running a SpringMVC app in tomcat 7.0 gives me error 500 as shown in StackTrace
- How to tell tomcat to use an external lib while running from within eclipse
- Spring MVC app on Eclipse Tomcat 8 server is outputting too many DEBUG messages
- Can't access Tomcat 7 Manager app when running from Eclipse
- 404 error in spring mvc app running on tomcat 7
- Console error while running the app
- Can i change things while debug mode is running in Eclipse?
- Eclipse java debug can't edit code while running
- is there any way to see content of an array in a java program while program is running in debug mode?
- Running Java Web App with HANA Database locally
- Tomcat 8 running on Linux with remote debug connection ESTABLISHED from Eclipse but breakpoint doesn't stop
- system restarts while running a java web application in eclipse with tomcat server
More Query from same tag
- Advice on a good Java build tool, well integrated with eclipse
- Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com, port: 587; nested exception is: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
- Eclipse 4 RCP - how to change what is showed in specific area?
- Spring-mvc setup issue
- Cannot find JRI native library. Please make sure that the JRI native library is in a directory listed in java.library.path
- WebService Client in Java with jax-rpc
- Akka conversion to dalvik fails
- Setting up a WxWidgets project on eclipse
- How to import GitHub and Bitbucket repositories into Eclipse Mars?
- Automatically format statement when I type a ; (semicolon) in Eclipse
- How can I get Eclipse work with Maven and SVN correctly?
- How to test specific method with maven-surefire-plugin in eclipse
- SRC folder in Eclipse is empty (MainActivity class not created) after creating a new android project using Eclipse
- IntelliJ is breaking my project when exporting to Eclipse - com.intellij cannot be resolved to a type
- How to transfer an Android application I have developed to another phone?
- which activity will be opened via external link?
- Access configuration resources in Scala IDE
- Retrieving arbitrary Eclipse preferences programmatically
- Cannot import Carrot2 to Eclipse
- How to add referenced library JAR files using relative path for eclipse Java project in vscode
- Trouble installing Eclipse: "A jre or jdk must be available"
- Display.show is not shopwing up sometimes post resuming backgrounding
- App crashes when intent a new activity
- Null Pointer Exception while taking pictures from camera android HTC
- Worklight 6.2 cannot find runtime when opening Worklight Console
- How do I use eclipse to build this application when it says you can use eclipse? sinch.com/tutorials/android-video-calling
- SVN/eclipse folder setup
- Java populating <option> dropdown list
- Unable to tap on Allow button from popup
- How do I install ActiveAndroid for use with Eclipse?