a quick and dirty way to force tomcat to recompile/reload your pages is to delete tomcat's working directory. in my limited testing it works fine but obviously, i wouldn't recommend this in production. :)
i believe myeclipse, if configured correctly, will let you update applications running in tomcat without restarting tomcat. it is unfortunately a commercial product though.
oracle jdeveloper had a copy of oc4j bundled and it was possible to make changes on-the-fly without restarting the container, again this may not be possible given your environment.
if i'm not mistaken you can just copy your client-side changes (.jsf, .html, .css, .js) to the webapps folder of your application, whilst it is running. the jboss j2ee version of eclipse i'm using allows hot replacement of some java code.
you can use some other container, not tomcat, which not needed to be restarted when you make some changes in you project. it's can be jboss. also if you will use some tools, for example jboss tools, you develop much faster and easy :-) as for me, when you make changes just in .css or .xhtml page, you shouldn't restart tomcat, you should just republish you application. in jboss tools you can make it using jboss tools server view.
you should use dynamic web projects and tell eclipse java ee to deploy to a suitable tomcat instance. this will allow eclipse to help all it can (but that is still not blazing speed though).
put this in your web.xml.
<context-param> <param-name>facelets.refresh_period</param-name> <param-value>1</param-value> </context-param>
this means : "how often will the app server recompile my jsp". the value is in seconds.
just in case you use maven to build your project, you can use this command line to test in tomcat:
mvn clean war:exploded tomcat:run
that will run a slim instance of tomcat (tomcat:run) taking the changes of your web files (.jsp, .html, .css, .js) directly from the source you're editing (war:exploded), so you'll just hit f5 in your browser
- Speeding up Eclipse and JSF+Tomcat development
- Android Development Tool 23.0.0 and Android L Update error in eclipse
- Mercurial ignore-file for Eclipse and Android development
- Difference between Android Studio and Eclipse for development and debugging
- How to load an IFile and modify the same in eclipse plug-in development
- Mixed Modular and Non-Modular Development in Eclipse using Java 11
- Google App Engine, Maven and Eclipse development setup
- Usuage Of Eclipse for BB and Android Development
- Eclipse e4 and plug-in development
- Sametime Plugin Development Using Eclipse 3.5 and ST 7.5
- Remote Development Workflow with Tomcat and Eclipse
- Eclipse Plugin Development - Drag and Drop UI components
- Is it possible to run java (jdk-windows) , Eclipse (indigo) and Android-sdk FOR android app development from external flash drive
- Java Agent Development Framework - Eclipse and Maven integration
- How to setup java development environment i.e. jdk and eclipse IDE on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion?
- Eclipse to play nice wtih SVN version control and WAMP development environment
- Eclipse plugin development - How to get the list of sub folders and keep navigating the folder?
- Understanding eclipse project natures and workflow for web development
- Eclipse and Android development - a few noob questions
- How to integrate maven the right way into Eclipse and into the software development process?
- Eclipse / Android Development Studio Guidelines for both Android and non-Android development
- Eclipse plugin development - drag and drop between components in multiple plugins
- Eclipse FileInputStream with local development and remote file
- What is the workflow for development using EJB3 with Eclipse Galileo and Glassfish v3?
- Eclipse shortkey for termination Application Server and GWT development mode
- How to use Subversive for team development and code management in Eclipse for Android project?
- Opened my Eclipse for Android development after getting new libraries and got 100s of errors
More Query from same tag
- Error creating bean with name "datasource" defined in servlet context resource [WEB-INF/applicationContext.xml]
- How to tell Eclipse java Formatter (Ctrl + shift+ F) to stop delete white spaces
- Eclipse CDT - Copy static resource file to bin_dir
- configuration of TabHost using getDrawable
- Java importing custom classes which are not public
- How to add a Library Project to a android project?
- Android How to create Intent Filter for custom file extension that does NOT make it part of a chooser for everything on the phone
- Logcat is running and collecting device data, however I cannot see it
- "Error: Could not find or load main class" after renaming all the packages
- How do I stop an Eclipse Editor from closing in an RCP
- what I need to do to use the ManagedBean library?
- How do I get eclipse to compile and copy only .java files during build?
- Overriding default delete action in eclipse navigator view
- how to change color of popup window in eclipse
- Reading a csv file into an array in Java (the add method not working)
- ADT (Eclipse) vs. Android Studio: How much APK file size difference is normal?
- Problems getting Eclipse/Cocos2d-x to output relevant info to the console
- How to implement getParent method of a ContentProvider
- How to use Eclipse to observe a CLion project in Git
- WebViewClient onKeyDown override errors
- Search entire project for includes in Eclipse CDT
- Print the sourcecode of a whole java project
- Syntax error, insert "EnumBody" to complete EnumDeclaration
- java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError in eclipse and tomcat however WAR is working in standalone tomcat
- Eclipse not finding main method when trying to export to runnable JAR
- Delete Chromedriver from Eclipse
- Debug some PhpUnit tests in Eclipse
- title: how can I find the correspondence between org.eclipse.jdt.core and eclipse releases?
- svn for eclipse on mac os lion
- Eclipse - should I clean the project before exporting an APK?