The answer from Csaba_H is right : there is no keyboard shortcut to switch from one editor area to the next. The most you can do through keyboard shortcuts is to switch to "another editor", whatever its area is (left, right, top, bottom... whatever you tiled the area into :p) through the usual shortcuts :
- next editor : ctrl + F6
- previous editor : ctrl + shift + F6
- quick switch editor : ctrl + E
I'll only mention that you can also take a look yourself to all available shortcuts in your Eclipse if you go to Window > preferences and go into the section General > Keys (a shortcut to get there is to use ctrl + shift + L twice).
I'm not sure if there is something in vanilla Eclipse, but you might want to check out "Emacs+" in the Eclipse Marketplace.
From http://www.mulgasoft.com/ :
"Other Window (Ctrl-X O): Navigate to the previous editor window"
It's not perfect, but it will achieve something close to what you want.
You can also split the window with shortcuts as well.
Quick Access Ctrl+3 has been very useful in Eclipse.
Otherwise, I know of two external programs that navigate by dividing the screen into smaller chunks, using only your keyboard.
If you're on Windows, you can use Mouser, which is coded in Autohotkey and based on keynav. If you find the source, remapping the keys is fairly straightforward.
If you're on Linux, keynav is your friend.
sudo apt-get install keynav
You'll have to change the configuration file to use arrow keys. (The default uses vim-like navigation.)
For focusing panels in Eclipse, I average between two-to-three keystrokes.
In all my eclipse usage I've never noticed such a shortcut and I would not expect one to exist. I skimmed though the link provided by Anthony and checked my own copy of eclipse, but none of it looked like what you're looking for.
You can also look through them yourself by going to: Window > Preferences > General > Keys
It's just Ctrl + Tab and Ctrl + Shift + Tab on my windows! try it.
Just found it!
Ctrl + Page Up and Ctrl + Page Down.
Personally I did not find such shortcut or option. However, there are some possibilities for switching editors from the keyboard (Ctrl + F6 and Ctrl + Shift + E as general ones, or my favourite "all-in-one" Ctrl + 3 :) ).
Also, if you work mostly two files 'for a long time' (one in left side and one on right side), you can also use the History operations (Alt + ←, Alt + →) for switching editors.
Eclipse allows for multiple editors to be open at any time, and those editors may be arranged as tabs (default behaviour) or split vertically or horizontally. The information above about available shortcut options is correct and provides the correct functionality in the case of two (only) open editors. Where there are greater than two open editors the shortcuts allow navigation to the 'next' or 'previous' editor. There is no concept of the logical left/right or top/bottom editor.
- Shortcut for "move to left editor" and "move to right editor" in Eclipse?
- How can I scroll left and right in Eclipse editor with the keyboard without moving the cursor?
- What is the eclipse shortcut for auto-generating a default and field constructor?
- Eclipse Shortcut Key for Color and Fonts -> Basic -> Text Font
- How can one disable the XML editor in Eclipse for .xsd and related files?
- Set common shortcut keys for Visual Studio, VS code and Eclipse
- Shortcut for running Android applications and JUnit test separately in Eclipse
- How to have a right to left editor plugin for Eclipse?
- java program for read an excel file using Apache POI and eclipse as editor
- Keyboard shortcut for "Replace/Find" while doing a find and replace in Eclipse
- Expand tree nodes with right and left arrow keys on Eclipse
- Eclipse JDT: Is there a keyboard shortcut for opening new editor panes?
- Is there a shortcut key to move a code selection left or right in eclipse?
- eclipse egit: Menu item and keyboard shortcut for Team -> Show in History
- Custom ISaveHandler and IWindowCloseHandler for Eclipse e4 text editor app
- Shortcut for "build and run" in Eclipse for Mac (OSX)
- Why does my Eclipse formatter move the condition and parenthesis to separate lines for my if statements and for loops?
- Issue Editor and Browser for SonarQube in Eclipse are Blank
- Coding the left and right function for RC car controlled by BT and arduino?
- Eclipse editor allows for lack of static and final keywords in interfaces
- Eclipse RCP: Command handler for view and editor
- Selecting image for imageview1 at left and imageview2 at right fixed
- Eclipse Workspaces: What for and why?
- Lightweight SQL editor for Eclipse
- What is the difference between Eclipse for Java (EE) Developers and Eclipse Classic?
- Key Shortcut for Eclipse Imports
- What is the Eclipse shortcut for "public static void main(String args)"?
- Eclipse text cursor has changed and editor behaves differently
- What is the keyboard shortcut for method suggestions in Eclipse on Mac OS X?
More Query from same tag
- Eclipse Juno No Debug Toolbar?
- Cannot get my Android Phone (2.1) to be recognized by Eclipse in MacOSX 10.6
- Android Licensing Error 561 -This application is not licensed. Please purchase it from Android Market
- Trouble running eclipse on Fedora 9, KDE 4.2 (Runs fine in Gnome)
- Java install conflict fedora
- what is dollar sign mean in the stack frames when debugging?
- How can I show Month View in smartgwt Calendar?
- FileNotFoundException in eclipse Plugin project
- Eclipse 4.2.0 / debugger very slow
- JavaFX - simple custom minimal window implementation
- Accessing Images in Eclipse
- Where should i store my texture files in Eclipse Project
- How do I return from a void method
- How to import Eclipse projects to IntelliJ IDEA?
- Eclipse Android is gone
- android webview displaying blank page
- Jenkins / Buildr running the eclipse compiler for 'javac' without changing system java
- Plugin product VS Feature product
- Placeholder for value/version/date replacement in xml using Ant build
- SWT Keylistener is not triggered
- Android: Image as answer in array
- Can't deploy websocket application in glassfish4 server
- Do i need to use embedded maven for m2e workspace resolution to work?
- Intellij test run history
- how to add my own templates to eclipse in play! framework editor
- How can I disable Quick Access TextField in Eclipse RCP Application
- FDT: An internal error occurred during debugging
- How to fix The method startActivity(Intent) is undefined for the type new View.OnClickListener() syntax error
- Why does kbhit() always return 0 when input is entered in the Eclipse console?
- RuntimeError for SDL2 after installing pySDL2