What version of eclipse are you using ?
It turns out the cause is one or more artifact repositories being lost from the list of known repositories.
The workaround is to remove the repository from the list and add it back again. This restores the missing artifact repository.
A possible workaround in eclipse 3.4.1:
- export the update site listing to
Software Updates->Manage sites->Export)
- stop eclipse
(Note, as mentioned by Fredrik in the comments, for Eclipse3.5+, this would be:
- start eclipse
- import the
Software Updates->Manage sites->Import) that was exported in step 1
As mentioned by mark (author of this question) in the comments of this answer, that workaround was a solution for his problem.
[...] the solution is always to append a trailing
'/'to all repository URLs in my P2 UI.
My feeling is that this error is caused by a failure to construct a viable URL to a repo resource. The code in question is not inspecting the URL string from the UI and is assuming a trailing '/' resulting in a 404
This last solution is confirmed working in Eclipse Indigo and Juno (below in the comments).
I had the same problem. After exporting and importing bookmarks, the problem did not get resolved. but I started getting error 'Connection refused'.
On further thoughts I found that my antivirus is not allowing eclipse to talk to internet. Disabling antivirus made it work.
I had a similar problem over the last couple months, but ignored it until I really needed PyDev to work on my laptop today.
I tried the solutions above to no avail and then I found something odd:
In (Window->Preferences->Install/Update->Available Software) I noticed that the box for 'PyDev Update Site' AND another one right below it with the location 'file:/updates' were both checked, causing a duplicate of most or all update URLs. After un-checking the box with the location 'file:/updates' I was able to update from (Help->Check for Updates) which then successfully installed the latest version of PyDev.
This solution might not be applicable to PyDev updates alone and could hopefully help others with similar issues.
I just had the same problem, I diabled my ZoneAlarm Firewall, and it connected OK!
Is there some kind of rule I need to add into my firewall to stop it blocking eclipse? It never used to do this, everything was working find until last week (Sept 25th (ish) 2012)
When I encountered a similar problem I add the following repository to my available update site. http://dist.springsource.com/release/TOOLS/update/e4.4/.
Make sure the slash in at the end of the URL.
There is a simple solution for this problem, that I tested, on https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/ibm-websphere-mq-explorer/login-warning, just install "Eclipse Tests, Examples, and Extras" -> "Eclipse 2.0 Style Plugin Support" from The Eclipse Project Updates repository
In my case the problem was caused by having two update sites for STS of which one one obsolote and not available any more. Both were present and checked in Install/Available Software Sites.
Solution was simple: unchecking the site that was not available. Available update sites for sts are listed here: https://spring.io/tools/sts/all.
I had the same problem (well similar as I was just trying to install subclipse). VonC's tip "Other advice" did it for me.
- Export sites to bookmarks.xml
- Edit this file and append a forward slash at the end of every URL where it is missing.
- Delete all sites
- Re-import edited bookmarks.xml
- Sigh with relief as it works.
The backslash thing in the exported bookmarks file fixed it for me.
I had the same problem with Eclipse Helios (3.6) on Ubuntu 64 bits.
from the "Available Software Sites" in Eclipse, and adding it again did the fix.
Though this question is answered a long back, wanted to share my experience thinking that it may save some one' day :)
Some times it could also be possible due to the incorrect proxy settings. In my case (Eclipse 3.6/Helios), Eclipse preference file
$ECLIPSE_HOME$/configuration/.settings/org.eclipse.core.net.prefs is having proxy details,
proxyData/HTTP/hasAuth=true systemProxiesEnabled=true proxyData/HTTP/host=proxy.domain.net org.eclipse.core.net.hasMigrated=true eclipse.preferences.version=1 proxiesEnabled=true proxyData/HTTP/port=9119 nonProxiedHosts=
When I deleted the file after closing the Eclipse, then onwards I m able to download the plugins
Yet another solution -
Instead exporting all managed sites and importing them back, click on 'edit' on each checked site and add '//' at the end
If you just add a '/' it says duplicate site therefore the '//'
How a small bug in a huge carefully architected application can be so hard to debug yet simple to solve
- Error when updating eclipse
- Eclipse ADT plugin update error occurred when updating from ADT 16 to ADT 17.
- Error when updating MySQL database using UPDATE - SET - WHERE method in Eclipse
- Error loading the SDK when Eclipse starts
- 'cannot open git-upload-pack' error in Eclipse when cloning or pushing git repository
- What is Eclipse doing when it says that it's updating indexes?
- Eclipse on Mac, getting "Specified VM install not found" error when trying to build
- "Could not find the main class" error when running jar exported by Eclipse
- "duplicate entry" error when exporting Java project to JAR with Eclipse
- "No source available for main()" error when debugging simple C++ in Eclipse with gdb
- Eclipse Axis error when creating web service
- HTTP Error 404 when running Tomcat from Eclipse
- Eclipse Mars: How to Stop Updating Error Reporting Database
- Eclipse error when using Subversive
- Annoying error dialog box when eclipse output-console scrolls. What's causing it?
- Eclipse console pop up automatically when it finds an error
- Avoid Permgen Space error when running Tomcat from Eclipse
- "Build path entry is missing" error when trying to create a new project in Eclipse
- Error when exporting archive file or file system with Eclipse (Android)
- "Invalid remote: origin" error when importing to Eclipse (m2eclipse, eGit)
- No such table error when running a django server from Eclipse
- Error shown when creating new Maven project in Eclipse
- Jar mismatch error when adding library in eclipse
- "Could not find main method from given launch configuration" error when exporting jar from Eclipse
- Eclipse launch error when trying to run an Android app
- When downloading Mojarra libraries for JSF it is showing error "zip file is empty" in Eclipse
- Error when installing plugin in Eclipse
- Unable to compile class for JSP error when I'm running my code in eclipse gwt project
- Updating Eclipse SDK Error
- How to ignore missing filter file error on pom.xml in Eclipse when using resource filtering?
More Query from same tag
- How to use Eclipse's Display View for Debug?
- Android application has stopped working -eclipse
- PyDev Perspective not showing after Install on Eclipse 3.8
- Eclipse not showing run as maven test when right click on maven project
- What is the best practice for logging debug and trace messages in Eclipse plugin?
- How can I set up Eclipse/Selenium to run scripts on other browsers on a Mac?
- How do I specify an old JDK compliance in an Eclipse project?
- No Jar found in /WEB-INF/lib after deploying maven project from eclipse to wildlfy9
- Errors adding external lib in eclipse
- After installing Blackberry Java plug-in in Eclipse cannot see the option for running the blackberry project
- Duplicate AndroidManifest.xml when built with Ant on CLI
- Import Maven project "YCSB" into Eclipse
- Detect splash screen exit on Unity Android/Eclipse project
- Antlr4 Parse Tree view stays empty
- After renaming workspace in Eclipse the full workspace path stays the same
- Java "import.java.util.Scanner" Error on Eclipse IDE
- Is there any way to create a key binding in eclipse RCP that works regardless the focus?
- How to automatically execute a script before each JUnit test execution?
- Eclipse JDT Core - Resolve generic return type for parameterised super method
- How to save/open files on server with GWT
- Most robust way to convert a CVS repository containing Eclipse projects to git?
- Error When Trying to Compile in Eclipse (MacOSX)
- How can I avoid name collisions when organizing imports or during autocomplete?
- Getting init parameter while accessing JSP file by filename
- Could not locate google-play-services_lib.jar, but is there
- Android - Library Project
- Use Xtext or XTend to build code generator for existing EMF Model
- Spring Tool can't create the java virtual machine
- LG G2 vs980 not recognized by ADB devices command (Win7 on virtualbox)
- Clone Git repository to the current eclipse workspace by using EGit