Well I found how to stop the tags auto-closing. For some reason it's under the Web | HTML Files preferences (even for a PHP file). I realise PHP is embedded in HTML but it seems odd the way the Editor options cross over like this. You need to restart Eclipse for this change to work.
I tried unchecking AutoActivation in ContentAssist for the Java Editor in hopes of disabling SmartInsert. But that failed. Best I could do was to go to Windows>Preferences>Java>Editor>Typing. Then uncheck both the Indentation boxes and Adjust Indentation in When pasting. That disabled the parts of SmartInsert that annoyed me the most. Should work the same for other editors. It is a shame there seems to be no way to disable it altogether.
Yes, code completion and it's family are VERY irritating and it's hard to find the right checkbox. Windows->Preferences. And then look at all the choices for editors. You will find the place. I'm using Flash Builder and encounter the same annoyance with the Actionscript editor.
There I had to empty the textboxes for:
- display proposals
- display contextual info
- insert proposal
Now it shows me suggestions, which is great, but no longer forces its favorite suggestion on me when it thinks it's appropriate. It was turning:
THISTORY? What on earth is THISTORY? I'm glad that annoyance is over.
To disable autoclosing for brackets and HTML tags you shall go: Preferences -> PHP / Web -> Editor -> Typing then unchek all you need :)
Same issue, a slightly different location : looks like this is to be unplugged for each different programming language we use.
For Java, I had to look in :
(window / preferences) Java > Editor > Content Assist, frame "Auto Activation", uncheck "Enable auto activation"
For Linux version of Eclipse Juno, find it in:
Window > Preferences > Java > Editor > Content Assist. then uncheck "Enable auto activation" from the "Auto Activation" Panel
Then Eclipse and I can work together...
Found it (it IS hard to find, I know). It's: Window > Preferences > Web > HTML Files > Editor > Typing (a LOT of steps, I know), then you can uncheck the boxes :).
You can find the HTML content assist in:
Window > Preferences > Web > HTML Files > Editor > Content Assist
and uncheck the "Automatically Make Suggestions" checkbox in the "Auto Activation" Panel
(used Linux Version of Eclipse Juno)
I don't know how to find the
Web | HTML Files Preferences section of cfeclipse configuration. The best I could find for this utterly infuriating so-called feature is this:
Go to Window -> Preferences -> CFEclipse -> Editor Then set
Insight Delay to 9999. This won't turn it off but as good as. (Thank you House of Fusion for confirming my action).
- disable eclipse auto completion
- Auto code completion on Eclipse
- Eclipse auto-formatter, disable auto line-wrapping of comment lines
- Disable statement completion on space in Eclipse Content Assist
- Disable Auto load of JBoss News Blogs info in Eclipse
- Eclipse Java 8 Auto completion for Lambda expressions
- How to use auto completion in Eclipse adding fully qualified name
- eclipse disable completion of xml comment
- no auto completion on Eclipse after upgrade to ubuntu 14.04
- Getting auto completion with Eclipse + PyDev for function arguments
- Aptana Eclipse Plugin and Dojo Auto Completion
- Eclipse Auto Code completion method selection not showing super class methods
- Make Eclipse auto completion behave like Visual Studio intellisense?
- Eclipse Disable Auto Correct
- Auto Code Completion on Eclipse Kepler for Omnifaces o:importConstants
- Eclipse extreme slow at auto completion
- Eclipse auto completion not working
- Eclipse: Disable auto completion but keep showing suggestions
- Using "TAB" instead "ENTER" for auto completion in PYDEV Eclipse
- Eclipse - Auto create setters returning the class and auto completion for methods
- auto completion on generated java code in eclipse
- eclipse maya cmds auto completion
- Disabling Eclipse **VARIABLES** auto completion
- Eclipse disable only auto angle brackets
- Eclipse auto completion irritation
- Eclipse Auto code completion
- How to disable breadcrumbs in Eclipse
- Disable XML validation in Eclipse
- Temporarily disable Eclipse plugin
- Disable building workspace process in Eclipse
More Query from same tag
- Transitioning from VS2010 to Eclipse IDE for Android/Java dev
- c++: Eclipse cannot resolve imports from local classes
- Having Trouble Installing Eclipse on Mac OS
- What is the easiest way to design Java Swing GUIs in Eclipse IDE?
- Open eclipse 3.x view in eclipse 4.x using Handlers
- Send output to program arguments in Java eclipse automatically
- Unable to run junits in eclipse for jhipster sample app gradle
- How do I display all pronouns in a sentence and their persons using antlr
- Is there any way to set eclipse up for both Python and Ruby?
- Unable to export any of my projects into a .jar file
- Why is Eclipse stepping into when I hit step over?
- Remove RunAs->Local C/C++ Application from Eclipse Product
- The "Run As -> Android Application" is no longer an option in my Eclipse Run Configuration
- How to share Eclipse configuration over different workspaces
- eclipse:clean eclipse:eclipse - maven command usage
- ESAPI Class Not Found Error on Glassfish
- Auto-complete not working for paintComponent(Graphics g) in Eclipse
- Eclipse DEPLOYMENTS IN ERROR
- phonegap/cordova filewriter and reader not working
- Debug uWsgi application in eclipse
- Eclipse removing errors from not compiling code
- The POM for ... is missing, no dependency information available
- Eclipse plugin development: Is plugin update or uninstall/install really clean?
- How to create a colour gradient without Javafx/AWT?
- Maven reference for springframework.org/tags form per spring source ide?
- Eclipse, shortcut to create new Java class
- Eclipse - Can not create a web application project
- Debugging Google Web Application projects with Google Cloud Endpoints in Eclipse
- Selenium 2 window switching: Java
- adding header files in Eclipse Kepler