score:63

Accepted answer

The solution: change the Java version used and increase the allocated memory.

Edit eclipse.ini - this file is located Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/eclipse.ini.

Change the following vars to use Java 1.6 and allocate more memory:

-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion = 1.6
-Xms128m
-Xmx1024m

(Found originally here: http://www.codeweblog.com/eclipse-adt-mac-version-tab-to-switch-slow-solution/)

score:2

Switching from the 64-bit to the 32-bit version of Eclipse made a big improvement to UI responsiveness for me. Try Eclipse Classic 4.2 32-bit from http://www.eclipse.org/downloads. I'm using the "Java 6 SE (System) 32-bit" JVM in OS X 10.8.1.

Tab switching, opening context menus, and opening java files went from sometimes over a second to nearly instant after this change.

I've tried a lot of suggestions over the past few months, including upgrading from 2 to 6 GB RAM, upgrading to an SSD, -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.6, setting various maximum heap sizes from 1 to 4 GB, various 64-bit JVM's - Apple's Java 6 SE, Java SE 7, Java SE 8, and none of these fixed the stalling problem.

score:2

I've been running Eclipse under a virtual machine. I've found VMWare to provide the best performance, but VirtualBox is the only one that consistently displays WebGL correctly in the browser (if that is important to you).

For the record, a virtual machine running Windows or Linux yields better Eclipse performance than running Eclipse on OSX. I've tried all of those settings and the tab switching speed is just too slow. I did some timings and it's just not something I can work with as it drives me absolutely crazy.

Configuration:

  • OSX 10.7.5
  • 4GB Ram
  • 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo

score:4

You can try some suggestions from this IBM developerWorks article

Search for the "Maximizing Eclipse performance on Mac OS X" section


Related Query

More Query from same tag