When you debug your app, open DDMS in Eclipse. On the toolbar there is a heap dump button that you can use to generate a heap dump to view in Eclipse memory analyzer. This is only supported I think with the 1.6+ or 2.0+ SDK.
If it helps, you can enable profiling over local areas of code by using the Debug API. In that way you have less verbosity when analysing the traces in for example traceview. See http://macgyverdev.blogspot.com/2011/07/profiling-android-application-tutorial.html for examples.
And some more detailed info on how to convert DDMS heap dumps so you can view them in Eclipse Memory Analyzer and find your leaking objects via the dominator tree tooling: http://macgyverdev.blogspot.com/2011/11/android-track-down-memory-leaks.html
The heap dump of the dalvik VM needs to be converted to regular hprof format using the hprof-conv.exe converter tool in the tools directory of the Android SDK. You can open this hprof with Eclipse MAT or other tools are: YourKit http://www.yourkit.com/ and JProbe http://www.quest.com/jprobe/
Beside DDMS you can also create the hprof from you app/code (only newer SDKs) via
Note that in DDMS you can see the heap that your app is using. It doesn't show the native heap that external resources such as bitmaps are allocating. Nevertheless, these resources also need to be taken into account when checking for memory leaks. When both native and app heap adds up to 16MB / resp. 24MB you will get an OOM error.
You can see the native heap that's been used (i.e. by bitmaps in your app) via
- Android ==> Memory Analysing ==> Eclipse memory analyzer?
- How to run Eclipse memory analyzer on Mac os?
- how to sum @retainedHeapSize with oql in the Eclipse Memory Analyzer Tool
- cannot access memory at address 0X1 after setting up gdb and eclipse to debug shared library from Android Application
- OQL in Eclipse memory analyzer - how to display array / ArrayList contents
- Eclipse Memory Analyzer - Leak Suspects Report doesn't point to MY classes - why?
- Memory Analyzer (MAT) plugin not opening heap prof in MAT Eclipse 4.1.2 automatically
- How to use Eclipse Memory Analyser Tool (MAT) for analysing a hashmap
- How can I use Eclipse Memory Analyzer Tool to dump the heap from a running process?
- eclipse memory analyzer doesn't open
- Eclipse Memory Analyzer Explanation
- android avd virtual memory setting in eclipse
- Eclipse Memory Analyzer (MAT): Shows no currently running processes
- Out of Memory Error in gridView Android Eclipse
- help with Eclipse Memory Analyzer [MAT]
- Eclipse Memory Analyzer source
- Eclipse memory analyzer - help in find leak
- eclipse memory analyzer showing garbage value
- Does NetBeans have an analog of the eclipse memory analyzer tool?
- Eclipse Java Memory Error: Heap. Developing in Android with Phonegap.
- analysing memory usage by a function in eclipse
- Android application is not copied to the device memory under Eclipse
- "Debug certificate expired" error in Eclipse Android plugins
- Update Eclipse with Android development tools v. 23
- Eclipse hangs at the Android SDK Content Loader
- Android Eclipse - Could not find *.apk
- NoClassDefFoundError - Eclipse and Android
- Eclipse Android and gitignore
- How to output messages to the Eclipse console when developing for Android
- Which Eclipse version should I use for an Android app?
More Query from same tag
- Exclipse with ant export jar file as a library for another project
- How to change the current branch to master in Egit?
- UmbrellaException caused by NullPointerException
- Android - Close activity on button click
- Java/Eclipse: Remove ArrayList element at specified index
- Android project won't build when editing a resource file
- Compiling a dll with mingw and eclipse
- Eclipse not recognizing Maven dependent Springframework JAR files
- Changing android:minSdkVersion Has No Effect
- AuthException not resolved to a type and multiple dex files - Build path
- Windows 7 can recognize only one Nexus 7 tablet. It can't see a new one
- Apply code format style to large Java project in Eclipse
- Formatting and Aligning output of PrintWriter
- Jaxb custom binding with eclipse
- Eclipse run my program well however JAR-file does not
- Sign a jar file exported from Eclipse 3.5?
- How to Disable eclipse hierarchy in editor
- How can i turn this chatter bot into an array that scans user input
- Eclipse Editor Plugin: Textmarker overwrites style information in the editor
- Eclipse - No project visible in explorer
- Eclipse change focused text color
- Getting resource 404 not available tomcat
- Eclipse to IntelliJ IDEA: Create 'Run As' Configurations
- How to stop Eclipse formatter from placing all enums on one line
- running an eclipse plugin without eclipse
- Working on a PHP web project from GitHub in Eclipse
- adb devices does not show my device every now and then
- How to initialize a structure containing array of union
- Eclipse Indigo running on Java 7 does not show ambiguous references to methods
- Increase size of menu/toolbar icons in Eclipse