i had a problem with a maven update process running for a while, every time i launch sts.
maven tried to connect to
as per the jira of sts, i changed it to
in window -> preferences -> install/update -> available software
and now the process is immediate.
couple of more ways to reduce the memory foot print on eclipse/sts
you can right click on project and choose to close unrelated projects
you can try creating working sets with related projects and select only the one you are working on, you can do this from top right corner(view menu) on the project explorer tab
youcan monitor heapsize, from preferences general you can check the "show heap status" to show the currently used heapspace , this will show a "recycle bin" icon beside the heap value, you can click this to force garbage collection
disable the startup window (called dashboard) which downloads rss feeds from the spring team upon program launch: http://tux2323.blogspot.se/2010/08/eclipse-tipp-reloaded-disable-sts.html. should you want see it you can use help->dashboard.
i would also suggest turning off automatic build feature. uncheck project -> build automatically. combined with michael's suggestions it made difference for me.
edit: automatic content assist feature was also slowing me down, so i turned it off. i just use it only when i need it by pressing ctrl + space. see here for details.
i had the same problem on a macbook pro i7. switching editors or views was painfully slow. solved it by turning off spring validators that i didn't need. go to:
springsource tool suite -> preferences -> spring -> project validators
specifically, i deselected all validators except for spring validator, beans validator and sts bean validator.
- Why is SpringSource Tool Suite (STS) so slow? And how can I fix it?
- Why is Eclipse trying to copy my .svn folders from src to bin, and how can I make it stop?
- IntelliJ vs STS (SpringSource Tool Suite), what am I missing by using one or the other and can I make them feature equivalent for comparsion?
- How to change order of source folders in Eclipse / SpringSource Tool Suite
- How can I fix encoding issues with MySql's JSON and Java?
- How to fix Groovy Grails Tool Suite 3 extreme memory usage
- How to clear the SpringSource Tool Suite cache?
- How can I disable Spring Tool Suite 3.6.2 dashboard in Eclipse Luna?
- Why does Eclipse store plugins in different folders and how to fix it?
- SpringBootApplication can not be resolved to a type error in Spring tool suite and maven
- How do I install the SpringSource Tool Suite (STS) without its "optional" dependencies?
- Android, ant, and Eclipse: it never reinstalls the APK on the emulator after rebuilding. How can I fix this?
- Xlib.h and Xutil.h not found in Eclipse, how can I fix this?
- In Spring Tool Suite how can I create another scheme for my own key bindings
- Can we use different JDK's for Spring tool Suite based on eclipse and eclipse luna
- Can I have Spring Tool Suite and Eclipse at the same time ?
- Please explain which Eclipse builders are actually needed and how to fix slow blocking builders
- My pydev templates are completely empty and the 'New' button is inoperative. How can I fix this?
- Why Eclipse Ide and Tool Suite won't compile/run my class, just that class which is the main, or a previous one
- Eclipse and Intellij showing wrong java method declaration. How can I fix it?
- Springsource Tool Suite 3.3 crashed and won't open anymore
- What causes imported Maven project in Eclipse to use Java 1.5 instead of Java 1.6 by default and how can I ensure it doesn't?
- ADB, Wifi and Eclipse: how I can configure?
- What is the difference between Eclipse with Spring IDE plugin and Spring Tool Suite alone?
- What does 'Unsupported major.minor version 52.0' mean, and how do I fix it?
- Why is Eclipse highlighting my code in red and how do I turn it off?
- How can I parse both Java and C++ in Eclipse?
- How to start with STS and Gradle
- How can I get checkstyle to skip equals() and hashcode() methods generated by eclipse?
- How can I customize Eclipse's getter and setter generation?
More Query from same tag
- How do I view variables values in nsight eclipse edition
- Eclipse - SQL Results view - Print SQLWarnings
- Which version of Eclipse support Java 8?
- Cannot emulate Android device in Eclipse
- Search in source attachment in Eclipse
- How to correctly build Jsoup.jar and export it to be used by Android APP
- How do file paths work in a Dynamic Web Application in Java and Eclipse?
- How to determine the classpath of an annotated element in an annotation processor?
- Eclipse Helios - files and directories missing from Working Set
- Importing my own classes into Android studio
- Google maps play service library add error
- Proguard error when -optimizationpasses is above 2
- How to update SVN source using subclipse
- Compilation error: method render in class list cannot be applied to given types;
- Play Framework display output in console Eclipse
- Diffing two versions in Hg
- Run windows command from eclipse
- Are there any issues when projects have different Java compiler versions?
- JRebel remote server as a Service
- Get the number/position of a button in a ListView
- Configuring eclipse to consider .sah extension as .js extension
- Eclipse JDK 1.8 not working
- I'm able to configure Eclipse but the frontend IDE is not shown
- Building workspace error while creating groovy class in Eclipse
- How can I change the layout of eclipse workspace selection dialog?
- How to initialize preference page fields using ISecurePreferences?
- Sharedpreferences gives me a null pointer
- Eclipse IDE with tycho builder. Duplicated projects in Project explorer view
- Robotium: How an .apk app can be re-signed in order to test it with Robotium?
- JBOSS Server stucks in starting state