There is only one file.
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Aug 8 2012 /usr/lib/eclipse/eclipse.ini -> /etc/eclipse.ini
According to https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse.ini
Eclipse startup is controlled by the options in $ECLIPSE_HOME/eclipse.ini. If $ECLIPSE_HOME is not defined, the default eclipse.ini in your Eclipse installation directory (or in the case of Mac, the Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS directory) is used.
The certain way to make sure is to run strace on eclipse. In the output you'll see where is eclipse actually trying to pull the file from.
I have Ubuntu 18 and eclipse installation is squashed in a file
which is mount on /snap/eclipse/40 as read only. Just run
mount | grep eclipse*.snap
This eclipse.ini file is really read only, that means, you cannot modify it, even with sudo. However, I also have a eclipse.ini.ignored file in HOME/.eclipse/some number/configuration. This is being by default ignored, but you can change the "launcher.ini" in the eclipse launcher command.
You probably have already found this out, chances are when you installed Eclipse the installation created (or you did manually) a file /usr/bin/eclipse which if you check it probably looks like the following:
#!/bin/sh export ECLIPSE_HOME="/opt/eclipse" $ECLIPSE_HOME/eclipse $*
especially if you followed instructions similar to the ones like these on If-not-true-then-false
On the other hand if you have installed from a package, I suspect you will find that eclipse ends up in /usr/bin, most likely a symbolic link to /usr/lib/eclipse/eclipse (or at least I found it on my Fedora system after using yum to install eclipse).
Here's how to determine which eclipse.ini file you should use (joomla.org):
- If you downloaded Eclipse IDE manually from internet the "eclipse.ini" file is just inside the unpacked folder
- If you installed Eclipse via terminal or software center the location of the file is "/etc/eclipse.ini"
- In some Linux versions the file can be found at "/usr/share/eclipse/eclipse.ini". Do not use this file if you found a config file at "/etc/eclipse.ini".
To be sure where your Eclipse folder is, check $ECLIPSE_HOME, and if not specified (these directions at least work for Juno):
- Open Eclipse as you normally do.
- Click Help -> About Eclipse SDK
- Click Installation Details
- Go to the Configuration tab
- Find "eclipse.home.location=file:PATH". PATH is where eclipse is installed.
- Where does Eclipse look for eclipse.ini under Linux
- Where does Eclipse default to look for the JDK/JRE to use?
- Where do I find gwt-dev-windows.jar ? It does not look like it was included in the GWT SDK for Eclipse
- Where does Eclipse store generated servlet files for Tomcat?
- where does Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory() look for the persistence unit?
- Where does eclipse search for a file if full path is not provided?
- Eclipse on Linux does not display options for C++ New Project
- Where does python look for files in a script?
- Where does exported eclipse plug-in search for icons?
- Where does Eclipse save files for projects not in workspace?
- What should my ini file for Eclipse look like?
- Eclipse: where does it look for executables?
- Why does eclipse look in the 'workspace' directory for sources instead of those in the ant script?
- Zend studio for eclipse - where does it store it's project files on a mac?
- Where does Eclipse store preferences?
- Maven for Eclipse 1.5.0 plugin cannot be installed under Kepler
- Graphical Layout tab does not appear for some layout files into Eclipse
- Where does Eclipse save the list of files to open on startup?
- Where is the location of 'plugins' directory for eclipse mars in mac OSX?
- Where does Eclipse deploy web applications using WTP?
- Why does Eclipse maven produce huge .cfs files for no reason?
- Lombok does not work for Eclipse Neon
- Where does Eclipse store the info about which workspace to start up with?
- what does Dead Code mean under Eclipse IDE Problems Section
- Where can I find the source code for the Android Development Tools (ADT) plugin for the Eclipse IDE?
- where does the yyy comment prefix in eclipse come from?
- Why does Eclipse consider that the app engine sdk jar is the directory where the app engine SDK is?
- Where does Eclipse find javac to compile a project?
- Where does Maven store the source and javadocs when downloaded via the Eclipse plugin
- Where does Eclipse store keyboard bindings?
More Query from same tag
- Android Eclipse Multiple Dex Files Error
- Android localization (invalid resource directory name)
- Plugin installed in eclipse does not appear in the target environment
- How can I set the jdk in an eclipse portable version?
- Subversive install in Eclipse not showing any option to commit or checkout
- Error while compiling thrift generated classes with Java 1.5
- android progress bar for android browser
- Exclude JS files from SonarLint
- how to add tomcat in eclipse luna
- Is Eclipse SSH Remote System Explorer broken on Windows?
- gdbserver doesn't step correctly ( arm cortex a9 ) in Eclipse
- How to set Node.js version in Eclipse (Windows OS)
- APDUtool create "Applet" fails
- JavaFx Image on an fxml file who have a variable url
- Emulator: ERROR: unexpected qemud char. channel close
- How do you run Android instrumentation tests from Eclipse?
- unable to debug errai-cdi quickstart
- Multiple definition of main without any .cpp file in project folder c++
- Password Style TextCellEditor showing original characters in TableViewer
- NoClassDefFoundError in nested jar (Android)
- eclipse error "android.jar" missing
- How to add project to Create Project Wizard in Eclipse
- JavaFx Eclipse deploy error applying icon in ant script
- How do you export a file SQLite db using Eclipse
- Android emulator Stuck with the step "Starting activity com.example.mum.MainActivity on device emulator-5554"
- Using make in Eclipse
- How to kill a JUnit test run in Eclipse that has entered an infinte loop
- how to upgrade version of m2e
- The FileNameExtensionFilter constructor is linted as undefined
- PropertyPage - Take control from Ok button