I setup Eclipse in
I keep all my open source packages (ANT, Maven, Apache, etc) in c:\software as well. Then I add the necessary directories to my
$PATH variable (c:\software\ant\bin).
I also keep the Eclipse workspace under
The big plus behind this setup is portability. I can simply move the entire folder to a new drive, re-setup my path, and boom everything works. No interference from registry settings at all. Makes it very easy to backup.
This approached worked for XP, Windows7 RC1 and Windows7 Professional without issue.
I have many different versions of Eclipse and related products installed. So I have them installed as
C:\Eclipse\... for Windows and
/Eclipse/... under Mac and Linux. Usually with the directory name as the base name of the zip - e.g.
eclipse-rcp-helios-SR2-macosx-cocoa-x86_64... Some products, like those from IBM, have their own ideas and can often not be changed...
As for the workspaces - yes, I have one for each customer - they are placed under
/Eclipse/Workspaces/... and friends.
And the target platforms are placed under
/Eclipse/TargetPlatforms/... and friends.
You could put it under your
User folder or
My Documents folder, so you don't have to worry about permissions. Then just add a link to your start menu / quick start / desktop and you will be good to go.
I usually install Eclipse to %LocalAppData%.
- Common install path used by Google Chrome, Python, GitHub Desktop, Discord, and f.lux
- Only installs Eclipse for the current user profile. (separate per-user settings)
- Does not require administrator privileges
- Accessible as a default Windows environment variable (
- Folder is designated specifically to hold application data
You can install (unzip) an eclipse:
- anywhere you want (meaning you don't have to install it on
c:\Program Files(I install it for instance on
c:\prog\java\eclipse, a directory tree I create
- with a workspace set anywhere you want (for me:
c:\prog\java\workspace, and I reference that workspace in my eclipse.ini.
This is important because the default location of a workspace (using user.home) is not always a good idea (see this SO question and its associated eclipse bug which will be solved only with the upcoming eclipse Helios 3.6)
- with plugins set anywhere you want through a Dropins folder (also referenced in the eclipse.ini, for me:
- with a JVM installed anywhere you want (also referenced in the eclipse.ini, for me:
c:\prog\java\jdks\jdk6u18, and I have installed several others jdks in
Eclipse shouldn't ever have to be in
c:\Program Files, and the setting describe above works perfectly with:
- Vista or Seven, UAC fully activated
- XP, with no Administrator rights.
- What folder should I install Eclipse to on Windows?
- Should I regularly delete the .metadata folder from the Eclipse workspace? What problems will it cause?
- Should renaming a project in Eclipse also rename project folder on file system?
- What is the .metadata folder in Eclipse workspace?
- What files should be committed to github for an eclipse project
- What Eclipse metadata files should be in the repository?
- What files should be added to SVN in an eclipse Java project?
- what names should I give as project name, package name, class name - (java - eclipse )
- What Eclipse should I download if I program in java?
- What are .recommenders and .metadata in Eclipse workspace and should they be in sync between devices?
- Eclipse Folder is transparent/grayed out. What does it mean?
- What is the yum command to install Eclipse Indigo for Java EE developers?
- How does this Color marker happen in eclipse IDE ,and what should I do to clear the Color marker
- What should be put into the project, folder and package
- How to install Qt-Jambi in Eclipse in windows 7?
- How to install Web Tools Platform (WTP) 3.9.5 on Eclipse Oxygen.3a (4.7.3a) on Windows 10, so I can use Tomcat 9 + Java 10?
- What eclipse plugin should I use for HTML5 and XML editing?
- Eclipse equivalent of "Open folder in windows explorer"
- What should be committed to the repository in the Eclipse workspace?
- What solution of Eclipse to Install for Python
- How to install Android SDK and eclipse in windows xp ?
- Should install Eclipse IDE for EE Developers OR plain IDE for Java Developers?
- How to install "JavaSpider" plug-in (by Eric Gamma) in the modern Eclipse environment or what to use instead of it?
- How to install TBB on Windows and get it work with Eclipse
- LuaSocket in Windows - How to install and use it in an Eclipse Project
- What should I do in order to be able to work with maven + eclipse + wicket + hibernate + spring in Mac OS?
- What linux distribution should I virtualize from windows host to run Eclipse?
- How do I find what the Eclipse Cross Settings Prefix should be?
- how can install eclipse sdk on windows 7
- Install folder hierarchy to eclipse
More Query from same tag
- How to specify line_comments in compass compile?
- Aptana error when committing to git repository
- How to properly change the package name in AndroidManifest.xml (e.g. in project zxing/barcodescanner)
- Eclipse string literal line wrapping
- Select with named parameter query which has between where qualifier
- 32/64 bit eclipse
- Error installing Google App Engine Plugin Eclipse Indigo
- How does autocompletion in IDEs work?
- Why Is Eclipse Indexing the Wrong Value Of a Nonexistent Preprocessor Macro?
- How to use Scala macro paradise in Eclipse via Ivy
- java.util.NoSuchElementException Netbeans
- Error in line (strRadius = input.readLine(); Have done everything i know to do, I'm a very new Java coder
- Spell word with images in Android
- MinGW compiling wrong
- What's the best way to set an Eclipse breakpoint on a EasyMock expect call?
- Why can't Eclipse auto-complete my added Android library?
- getResourceAsStream() works fine in eclipse but fails in jar
- Eclipse is not launching
- Updating Eclipse SDK Error
- The Activator X for bundle Y is invalid, caused by ClassNotFoundException: X
- Eclipse doesn't clean or build any projects
- How to avoid configuration issues working on the same project from different workstations
- Number guessing program bug?
- Can't open Eclipse after installing ADT Plugin
- How do I get Eclipse to show the entire javadoc for a class
- Java web service "HTTP status 404" - Eclipse, Apache, Tomcat
- java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: sun.reflect.ConstantPool while running cucumber features
- Upgrading to Mobile First 6.3 Server shows No runtime
- can Eclipse display multiple Variable windows at a time?