as the rcp tutorial details
plugins are the smallest deployable and installable software components of eclipse.
each plugin can define extension-points which define possibilities for functionality contributions (code and non-code) by other plugins. non-code functionality contributions can, for example, provide help content.
the basis for this architecture is the runtime environment equinox of eclipse which is the reference implementation of osgi. see osgi development - tutorial for details.
the plugin concept of eclipse is the same as the bundle concept of osgi. generally speaking a osgi bundle equals a plugin and vice-versa.
the feature tutorial mentions
a feature project is basically a list of plugins and other features which can be understood as a logical separate unit.
eclipse uses feature projects for the updates manager and for the build process. you can also supply a software license with a feature
finally, a product is a stand-alone program built with the eclipse platform. a product may optionally be packaged and delivered as one or more features, which are simply groupings of plug-ins that are managed as a single entity by the eclipse update mechanisms.
plugins can be grouped into features which can be packaged as one executable unit called product.
- What are the differences between plug-ins, features, and products in Eclipse RCP?
- What are the differences between android studio and the eclipse version bundled with android SDK
- Eclipse vs. Visual Studio: What are the features in Eclipse that are not present in Visual Studio and vice versa?
- What is the difference between Eclipse RCP and EMF Client Platform (ECP)?
- What is the difference between javac and the Eclipse compiler?
- What is the difference between the Eclipse Package Explorer and the Eclipse Project Explorer?
- What is the difference between Eclipse for Java (EE) Developers and Eclipse Classic?
- What is the difference between Eclipse 3.7 and Eclipse 4.1?
- What is the difference between rollback, backout and strip in the Mercurial Eclipse plugin?
- What are the shortcut keys to change to the next and previous tab in Eclipse on Mac OS X?
- What is the difference between Eclipse with Spring IDE plugin and Spring Tool Suite alone?
- What the difference between Eclipse 3.7, 3.8 and 4.2?
- What is the difference between Eclipse and Netbeans if I want to use only the Java in it?
- What is the difference between Eclipse "Import" and "Create project from existing source" for Android projects?
- What are .recommenders and .metadata in Eclipse workspace and should they be in sync between devices?
- What is the difference between Eclipse and Myeclipse
- What is the difference between "Java Build Path" and "Deployment assembly" in Eclipse dynamic web project IDE?
- What is the difference between "Project References" and "Paths and Symbols -> References" in Eclipse CDT?
- What are the new features in Eclipse Galileo?
- What is the difference between building a WSDL in Eclipse and using WCF?
- what is the difference between refresh and update project in eclipse
- What is the difference between console and eclipse maven
- Which JRE version to use while making new Java Project in Eclipse and what are the drawbacks?
- Eclipse Cpp - What is the difference between C Project, C/C++ Project and C++ Project?
- What is the difference between application context and workbench context in eclipse e4?
- What is the difference between Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developer and Eclipse for Mobile Developer?
- What is the relationship between Eclipse .classpath file and build.xml file?
- what is the difference between maven-archetype-webapp and eclipse dynamic web project
- The differences between Java project in Eclipse and Eclipse itself?
- What is the difference between local and remote SonarQube Eclipse Plugin analysis?
More Query from same tag
- How to fold comments in eclipse
- Android SDK content loader has encountered an error
- Where to draw in libGDX
- I Can't access Eclipse Marketplace
- Eclipse project export and CVS settings
- Why does the m2e plugin build to a WEB-INF/classes in the target folder for a maven jar project?
- Automatically generated makefile in Eclipse C/C++ gives compiling of only one module
- How can I increment up in Selenium POM?
- Back button android-sdk?
- Consuming WebServices using SOAP
- java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver found for jdbc:mariadb://localhost:3306/mydatabase
- Maven not copying .class files to target while in building though build runs fine in Unix,but the same works in eclipse
- NullPointer on an Android layout?
- Eclipse javadoc: The type package-info is already defined
- Google Analytics Android trackEvent arguments error
- Eclipse Formatter following Java code convention?
- Eclipse CDT: Loading debug symbols for an external shared libraries
- Run Tika source code from Eclipse
- Eclipse mvn project deploy to jboss
- How to let Eclipse manage .properties and .xml file
- Cannot create AVD - Eclipse, MAC OSX, Android 4.4.2
- Cannot insert a backquote in Eclipse
- I get this error when trying to run a test using Selenium: Launch configuration AWTConsole references non-existing project testProject
- Massive Eclipse AST Java Refactoring
- Egit pull and merge changes
- maven install command to deploy an artifact to maven repository
- gluLookAt() doesn't work as expected
- Androidplot line not showing
- Cannot insert object in Parse.com with parse4j API in JAVA
- In ecplipse RCP application automatically get Run option in menubar Want to remove it