what are you expecting? the default tomcat homepage? if so, you'll need to configure eclipse to take control over from tomcat.
doubleclick the tomcat server entry in the servers tab, you'll get the server configuration. at the left column, under server locations, select use tomcat installation. this way eclipse will take full control over tomcat, this way you'll also be able to access the default tomcat homepage with the tomcat manager when running from inside eclipse. i only don't see how that's useful while developing using eclipse.
note, when it is grayed out, read the section leading text! it literally says "server must be published with no modules present to make changes". in other words, make sure that you've removed all modules via rightclick server and add and remove... option, and then performed rightclick server and publish.
the port number is not the problem. you would otherwise have gotten an exception in tomcat's startup log, and the browser would show a browser-specific "connection timed out" error page and thus not a tomcat-specific error page which could impossibly be served when tomcat was not up and running.
i may be out fishing here, but doesn't tomcat by default open to port 8080? try http://localhost:8080 instead.
you can change the port number:
open the server tab in eclipse -> right click open click on open---->you can change the port number.
run the application with
http://localhost:8080/applicationname it will give output and also check
you need to start the apache tomcat services.
win+r --> sevices.msc
then, search for apache tomcat and right click on it and click on start. this will start the service and then you'll be able to see apache tomcat homepage on the
right-click on your project's name in eclipse's project explorer, then click run as followed by run on server. click the next button. make sure your project's name is listed in the configured: column on the right. if it is, then you should be able to access it with this url:
additionally, whenever you make new additions (such as new jsps, graphics or other resources) to your project, be sure to refresh the project by clicking on its name and then hitting f5. otherwise eclipse does not know that those new resources are available and will not make them available to tomcat to serve.
eclipse hooks dynamic web projects into tomcat and maintains it's own configuration but does not deploy the standard tomcat root.war. as http://localhost:8085/ link returns 404 does indeed show that tomcat is up and running, just can't find a web app deployed to root.
by default, any deployed dynamic web projects use their project name as context root, so you should see http://localhost:8085/yourprojectname working properly, but check the servers tab first to ensure that your web project has actually been deployed.
hope that helps.
- Tomcat started in Eclipse but unable to connect to http://localhost:8085/
- Tomcat started in Eclipse but unable to connect to http://localhost:8080
- Unable to reconnect to Derby from Tomcat server started via Eclipse
- Can ping MySQL from Eclipse but can't connect using JSP in Tomcat
- Cannot connect to instance of Tomcat 6 started in Eclipse
- Cannot connect to instance of Tomcat 6 started in Eclipse
- error with tomcat HTTP Status 404 The requested resource() is not available from eclipse but works from browser
- Can't start Eclipse - Java was started but returned exit code=13
- Eclipse returns error message "Java was started but returned exit code = 1"
- Eclipse gives “Java was started but returned exit code 13”
- HTTP Error 404 when running Tomcat from Eclipse
- Java was started but returned exit code=13 eclipse
- Unable to connect to the Eclipse Luna Market
- HTTP Status 404 - on Eclipse with Tomcat
- Eclipse is throwing error - Java was started but returned exit code= -805306369
- Tomcat ignores logging.properties when started from Eclipse
- Unable to Start Tomcat 7.0 in Eclipse Indigo
- Unable to deploy my spring web project to eclipse internal tomcat server.(java.lang.ClassNotFoundException on tomcat startup)
- Eclipse maven-enabled web app references workspace projects, but those are not deployed when running Tomcat server
- Eclipse unable to add apache tomcat 10
- Eclipse Error - Java was started but returned exit code=13
- Tomcat understands amq:broker but Eclipse marks errors in schema
- Remote Debugging with JPDA won't connect to Tomcat through eclipse when using Docker-Compose
- Unable to connect Sonar Eclipse Plugin to Sonar Server
- Eclipse returned error message “Java was started but returned exit code= 1”
- android - Unable to instantiate activity - ClassNotFound - Fails on one eclipse but not other
- Unable to connect to GitHub within Eclipse due to SunCertPathBuilderException: certificate not found
- Eclipse Crash "java was started but returned exit code = -805306369"
- Tomcat in Eclipse remains starting/synchronized but is actually running
- Eclipse ADT: Java was started but returned exit code=13
More Query from same tag
- Checkstyle is not working while building the project in eclipse
- Eclipse CDT doesn't clear errors from previous builds
- Using System.loadLibrary on jar library using windows
- Importing Multiple XSD Files into Eclipse's XML Catalog
- Android: Eclipse jar icons are white and can't access classes
- how to use a processing library in eclipse?
- Current SVN project - change hostname
- Swing Designer Eclipse exception
- Eclipse points to the wrong path in dependencies
- C++ Eclipse: Debugging with optirun/primusrun on Linux
- Structure and sending two arrays to the same receiving function
- Why some widgets do not get included in WindowBuilder?
- Android emulator closes app upon startup, LogCat gives multiple errors
- Eclipse : impossible to import a maven project
- webcam problems with raspberry pi (java): ClassNotFoundException
- Swagger can't start in jhipster when using Eclipse
- Scala Word count jar is not running in spark
- Pom.xml project build error
- Configuring NSight (Eclipse) and ld
- How can I import a library in ADT Project for Eclipse
- IBM Worklight application builder error
- when proxifier is running, eclipse says "Unable to establish loopback connection"
- how to get info using ast parser
- Trying to get a button to show for a test to learn, no red flag errors, just confusion?
- Working with hibernate with Intellij or Eclipse
- how to disable annoying eclipse tag descriptions on hover?
- osgi.configuration.area.readOnly=true gives NoClassDefFoundError
- Btld consuming resources after application stop?
- how to run eclipse project on galaxy trend plus gt s 7580
- Unable to start flight recorder via JMC 6 within eclipse oxygen (4.7)