and do not forget about the possibility to quickly execute any kind of java code snippets in a scrapbook (not exactly what you want, but it can come in handy at times)
newtopian adds (in the comments)
in fact templates become much more powerful by adding variables and tabstops within, so your example above would become
dbhandle ctrl+space. it would copy snippets from both parts and place your cursor right in the middle.
i have used snippets in some ides, like dreamweaver and homesite, an old coldfusion ide. i also use a lot of snippets in mysql workbench - where i type a lot of sql, very handy there.
i am now using eclipse java ee ide for web developers version indigo release and found the snippets panel in window|show view|other...|general|snippets. i was able to manipulate it and figure out how to add the code i wanted as snippets and how to use it efficiently.
use eclipse snipmatch (part of eclipse for java developers package).
- works very well for java code snippets but also works for any other language like html, ababp, php etc.
- you can convert any code fragment from your editor directly to a code template. highlight the code you'd like to convert to a snippet, context menu "create snippet", complete the form and done.
- snippets can be shared via git repositories with your team members
the question is old but the link of the answere is older ;)
here is a nice tutorial: http://www.dansshorts.com/post/creating-snippets-in-eclipse
i ran into the snip2code plugin recently. it did the job, and i can collect and search snippets in a quick way.
eclipse also offers something very similar to the templates feature described by vonc called (would you believe) snippets. window > show view > snippets.
to add a new snippet category: right click in the snippets window and click customize... click new > new category. enter a category name if necessary (e.g. "java"). click apply. with your chosen category selected, click new > new item. enter your snippet.
to use a snippet, put the cursor where you want to insert the snippet, then double click on a snippet in the snippets window.
- Storing code snippets in eclipse
- Generic code snippets or templates in Eclipse
- Format Eclipse code snippets for blog publishing?
- Code completion based on snippets in Eclipse
- How to invoke snippets for python code in Eclipse with Aptana plugin?
- Seeking useful Eclipse Java code templates
- How to turn off the Eclipse code formatter for certain sections of Java code?
- Keyboard shortcut to "untab" (move a block of code to the left) in eclipse / aptana?
- Eclipse returns error message "Java was started but returned exit code = 1"
- Auto code completion on Eclipse
- Eclipse count lines of code
- Eclipse keyboard shortcut to indent source code to the left?
- Format XML code in Eclipse
- Code assist (ctrl+space) doesn't work on Eclipse Kepler
- Clean Eclipse Index, it is out of sync with code
- Eclipse hang when copying / pasting code
- Eclipse Luna dark theme, code editor white
- Eclipse gives “Java was started but returned exit code 13”
- Eclipse plugin for code coverage
- Maximize code tab in eclipse shortcut
- How to add shortcut keys for java code in eclipse
- Eclipse shortcut for commenting jsp, xml code
- Aptana Plugin for Eclipse and jQuery code assist
- Best Eclipse Code Formatters?
- Android NDK debugging in Eclipse - how to stop segfaults/SIGILL that only occur when stepping in native code
- How to debug Java code when using ANT script in Eclipse
- Eclipse code birdview plugin
- Android Eclipse Import Existing Code
- is it possible to edit code while debugging in visual studio, like in eclipse (java)
- How to debug compiled Java code in Eclipse
More Query from same tag
- Android app not able to do a task after comparing a phone number
- GlassFish server fails to launch from Eclipse, it gets stuck at 69%
- Android Min SDK Version vs. Target SDK Version
- Wildfly - "Connector 'netty' not found on the main configuration file"
- How to search entire hard drive for a specific file (Java Eclipse)?
- Java - Oracle SQL - SQL comamnd not properly ended
- Reflecting changes from jsp, css, js, html onto browser without reloading the page
- Creating Eclipse Code Format XML From Java File (Reverse Engineering)
- create eclipse groovy-java project with maven
- Eclipse java refactoring to change private method to public method
- how to show marker in maps v2 with call coordinate in another class?
- How to launch ATG application from Eclipse?
- Get Error while installing TestNG
- GWT + OSX = SWT issues
- Loop handling in java
- Unable to run glassware on google glass in Eclipse
- About java default package(using Eclipse)
- how to see the call tree in eclipse when in debug mode?
- how to use html files present in system in contextual help eclipse?
- Where does Eclipse store keyboard bindings?
- Make Strobe Light from LED light on button click
- Red5 and Eclipse
- Is there a way to make Eclipse's code completion as good as XCode's?
- Eclipse project configuration when using m2e
- How can i sort my arraylist alphabetical
- how I can display Flash animations in Swing components?
- How can I get back to my latest commit after git reset --hard?
- Error message "The method withTagName(String) is undefined for type RelativeLocator" - Selenium 4 java
- Changing Java Version From Within Eclipse