If you can, use jvisualvm in the Sun Java 6 JDK (IBM too). It works out of the box and can answer many of the initial questions.
Note that on Windows you need to invoke jvisualvm with the same Java binary as the program you want to investigate for best results.
(visualvm is a stand-alone subset of the Netbeans profiler)
You can always dump call stacks (e.g. Ctrl-Break on command line). It is surprisingly very effective.
The Eclipse Memory Analyser has been helping me a lot recently.
If you are looking for a IBM JDK equivalent for visualvm, try the IBM Java Health Center: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/tools/healthcenter/. It has some decent profiling capabilities, and is rather fast.
I've also used the Netbeans profiler which is pretty good. It's pretty easy to set it up to profile your Eclipse project while it is running in Eclipse. You don't need to open the project in Netbeans.
I found JProfiler (commercial) to be really helpful. It has Eclipse integration, although it is not an Eclipse plugin per sa', so you can very easily invoke a profiler instead of a regular execution session. It had very good bottleneck analysis and you can find-tune the settings to lower the overheads of the profiler itself. Highly recommended.
In my experience, TPTP is something to run away from as fast as possible. It's a horribly overengineered mess, almost impossible to get to work, badly documented, and slow as molasses.
I'm not aware of any good and free profiling plugins for eclipse. But then, does it really have to be an eclipse plugin? VisualVM comes with the JDK since Java 6u7, is fast and easy to use. It may not be the most feature-rich of profilers, but has been sufficient for me.
- Profiling a Java Application in Eclipse? (plug-in)
- Determine if a java application is in debug mode in Eclipse
- How to deploy Java web application project from Eclipse to live Tomcat server?
- How to profile a Java web application servlet call in Eclipse EE Luna
- Run as java application option disabled in eclipse
- What is the shortcut for running java application in mac eclipse
- Java line-by-line Method/Function Profiling - Profiler &/or Eclipse Plugin
- Best way to debug Java web application packaged as a WAR using Eclipse and Maven?
- Eclipse - how can I determine the number of methods in a Java application
- Impact Analysis using Eclipse for Java application with framework code
- java application not working with java9 and eclipse
- Inside Eclipse Android project run Java classes with main(String args) as Java Application causes "Invalid layout of java.lang.String at value"
- Need a guide on Eclipse + Weblogic for developing Java EE web application
- Unable to execute dex because of java heap space in eclipse with a tiny android application
- Profiling for java in eclipse juno
- How Exclude some files from Eclipse Java EE Web Application project Deployment Assembly
- How to debug Groovy code via the remote Java application debugging in Eclipse
- Can't run Java Application with Maven from Eclipse but it works in Command line
- How can I create a Java EE 7 application using eclipse and gradle?
- Eclipse Debug as remote Java application break points not hit
- UTF-8 encoding not working with Eclipse java application
- How to create a Facebook Application With java and eclipse
- Unable to launch java application in eclipse after mercurial clone
- Displaying the execution script for a Java application in Eclipse
- Debugging a remote Java application with Eclipse as the server (Socket listen)
- Loading a VIEW from the Welcome Page by clicking in an image in Eclipse Java Desktop Application
- Being notified of caught exceptions in Eclipse / Java application
- How to increase heap memory of your java application in Eclipse
- Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Linux Developers CANNOT run my java application
- call a own eclipse plugin method from any java application
More Query from same tag
- Hindi Text in Eclipse on Android
- Python & Eclipse - Get curent filename error
- How to configure javadb in eclipse(part2)?
- Use Maven embedded in Eclipse to install dependencies
- Hadoop integration with Eclipse
- Android: App Not Previewing in AVD
- Button Down Event in Eclipse (Android)
- Eclipse Kepler XDebug to debug Web application. Breakpoints are being ignored
- How to configure Checkstyle in Eclipse for an maven project automatically
- Graphics not appearing for java game
- Java: Ask for continue
- How to configure a maven based java module project to run unit test in eclipse?
- Why am I getting "The import javax.servlet.http.HttpFilter cannot be resolved"?
- Display if statement setText in a JButton
- Exception with jbullet+lwjgl?
- How do I calculate the Average marks?
- What do I need for autocomplete and ctrl+click to work in eclipse after importing a project from Perforce and converting it to a maven project?
- Using Radio Buttons within a Dialog in Android app
- eclipse : Changing tabs to spaces in edited lines
- Eclipse Information Popup
- Installing Android plugin with Eclipse (Indigo SR 1)
- ChangeHandler not recognising a blank date
- java.lang.RuntimeException: could not find scala-library.jar
- no MainActivity in the debug window in eclipse where I have the breakpoints
- Minimize ssh windows when Eclipse retrieves info from svn repository
- Prevent Eclipse plugin installation on Windows XP/7
- Error in web.xml while creating a dynamic web project in eclipse
- Eclipse French support
- Derby DB installed, JAR included, where to locate DB for portability of project?
- Why am I getting an empty screen in Eclipse when emulating a simple Hello World program for Android?