I have used Aptana/RadRails in the past and thouroghly enjoyed it. I suggest giving it a try. There is a standalone Eclipse plugin available that supports non-Rails projects decently as well if that's what you're going for.
My only experience with Eclipse was through Aptana, however, so there may be other considerations.
Dynamic Languages Toolkit (DLTK) is the preferred. step-by-step installation in eclipse:
- Open eclipse
- Go to Help -> "Eclipse Marketplace..."
- Type DLTK on Find text box and click Go button
- Click Install button under Ruby (DLTK) section
- Follow the instruction in eclipse pop-up
Verification of installation after successful installation:
Go to Window -> Preferences and you would see "Dynamic Languages" and "Ruby" are enlisted on the left panel
I faced this problem after installing aptana studio plugin for Eclipse. So, I decided to try dynamic languages toolkit for eclipse.
If you want to uninstall the aptana plugin: Eclipse > Help > About Eclipse > Installation Details > Installed Software tab > Aptana plugin > Uninstall. This should do a clean, frustration free uninstall.
Now, lets install the DLTK plugin.
Go to link - http://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/ruby-dltk. Press the green down arrow. copy the link from popup.
Eclipse > help > install new software > work with = copied link.
Now you see a list of plugins. In that list,expand the Programming Languages > check the box: Dynamic languages toolkit - Ruby Development Tools > press button: next > obvious steps.
After this, install the RubyInstaller for windows at http://rubyinstaller.org/ Find the location of ruby.exe created by this installation. You will need this to set the ruby interpreter when you create your first eclipse ruby project.
Once you successfully create a Ruby project, eclipse asks you if you want to open the ruby perspective. Say ok. To test if it works, create ruby project, then create an empty ruby script inside this project. Then execute this command
puts "hello ruby" as a ruby script. Enjoy sparkling ruby !
Looks like the update site is here: http://download.eclipse.org/technology/dltk/updates/
I found it on www.eclipse.org/dltk/install.php
Good question. I've used Aptana/radrails, and that's definitely one to steer clear of.
It writes a database in whatever directory you happen to start Eclipse from, and generally takes over Eclipse, changing a lot of useful key bindings.
One of the most irritating things is that Ctrl-1 stops working in Java files, and that's a hotkey I use all the time.
I'm looking forward to hearing people's answers on this one, because I'd like to know of a good one.
- Preferred Ruby plugin for Eclipse?
- What is the preferred visual editor Eclipse plugin for Swing apps in 2011?
- Ruby + Eclipse + "Dynamic Languages Toolkit for Ruby" plugin
- How to install plugin for Eclipse from .zip
- Eclipse plugin for generating a class diagram
- Eclipse plugin for TypeScript?
- Eclipse plugin for code coverage
- Eclipse plugin for Objective-C?
- Aptana Plugin for Eclipse and jQuery code assist
- C# plugin for Eclipse
- How to remove trailing whitespace in PyDev plugin for Eclipse
- How do I delete an Eclipse perspective for a plugin I uninstalled?
- Maven for Eclipse 1.5.0 plugin cannot be installed under Kepler
- Looking for up-to-date eclipse plugin for C#
- Installing the ADT Plugin for Eclipse
- Installing ADT plugin in Eclipse for Android development
- How to use Eclipse for Ruby on Rails (RoR)
- Restore maven plugin for a project on eclipse
- Best Eclipse plugin for Maven 3
- Eclipse plugin for generating UML diagram from c++ code
- Cannot install Cobertura plugin for Eclipse
- Cannot search for artifact in Eclipse Kepler using m2e plugin
- How to use eclox, the doxygen plugin for Eclipse
- Eclipse plugin for HTML WYSIWYG editor
- Where can I find the source code for the Android Development Tools (ADT) plugin for the Eclipse IDE?
- Is the Qt Eclipse integration plugin still available for download?
- can't install eclipse plugin "m2e connector for build-helper-maven-plugin 0.15.0.201109290002"
- Eclipse Plugin and ADT modification for API Integration in Create Project menu
- Cannot complete installing Google Plugin for eclipse
More Query from same tag
- Tomcat 7.0 timeout error when try to run in debug mode in eclipse
- How to make eclipse auto fill android:text not android:text=""
- Java Build Path
- Eclipse Galileo, Plugin Install
- Related File Tree in Eclipse
- Setting up Clojure code in Eclipse for both REPL and application deployment
- Eclipse file template plugin doesn't use my template file
- Debugging Skip to a step in for loop
- make Eclipse equals() / hashCode() use getters
- Checking out a maven project from a git repository
- Maven generate-sources folder not being picked up by Eclipse
- Http post request inside a GPS Listener...initiated by a Service
- Can I chgrp a directory through Subclipse?
- IntelliJ like 'Extract Property' to extract maven artifact versions to properties in eclipse
- Genymotion in Eclipse
- Pulling info from edit text to another activity?
- Eclipse id cannot be resolved or is not a field
- How to include other Java Project when build Maven Java Project
- Read excel file and update adding a new row
- Exception "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
- Facing problem with android SDK while installing
- Inputting and Displaying data
- Debugging in JavaMe (Midlet or JAD)
- (Cocos2dx-v3) Android - How to solve "cocos2d.h: No such file or directory"?
- Maven cofiguration error in eclipse - git project
- Open to Close Bracket/Quotation mark/Tag selection IntelliJ
- Cannot run Android SDK manager. How to run SDKmanager.bat?
- How can I see the error log (logcat) for Android in Eclipse?
- Why doesnt eclipse data source explorer show h2 v2.1.210 tables?
- Textual UseCase Representaion and graph generation