source : renaming a workspace?
yes, you can just rename the workspace directory and/or move it. however, you then have to tell eclipse where the new workspace is. in 3.1, you can use 'switch workspace' to launch in a different location (under the file menu).
if you want to change it by hand, you can edit the appropriate entries in the files in the 'configuration' directory where eclipse is stored.
you can change the org.eclipse.ui.ide.prefs file to set show_workspace_selection_dialog=true if you want to be asked each time eclipse is run where the workspace is.
in eclipse 2020-12 (windows 10), the "workspace name (shown in window title)" preference mentioned in one answer is no longer there. now, renaming a workspace (ws) requires a copy and delete operation.
start by switch to another ws: file --> switch workspace --> select existing ws. then rename the ws folder to desired new name. switch to the new workspace folder and delete the old name:
- file --> switch workspace --> other...
- right-click old ws name --> remove from launcher selection
- click browse --> select new workspace folder --> click launch and voila!
as mentioned in prior posts, depending on your setup some resource links may be broken. delete the project without(!) removing it from disk, then import to new ws.
i just did a:
file --> import --> maven --> existing maven projects --> mention the new workspace location in "root directory" in the "import maven projects" window
and it worked! all projects were imported properly.
btw, i have eclipse-maven plugin "m2e" installed (http://wiki.eclipse.org/m2e_updatesite_and_gittags)
copying workspace to a new folder works. any reference eclipse itself needs is resolved using the relative workspace location. if you have added launchers, substitution variables, etc. that rely on the absolute workspace location, they will need to be reset.
john, i think in the original workspace you imported projects and that the projects depend on links not on being physically in the same location of the worspace (even thay are there already but the dependency is on links). if so you have to remove the projects from the new (copied) worspace and then re-import them again.
renaming workspace folder worked for me. close the eclipse, rename the workspace folder name, launch eclipse again. if you are using any project dependencies like user libraries,launchers etc, you have to relocate those to new location manually, from project build path.
for simple renaming, it is not necessary to switch workspaces, unless the workspace you want to rename is not the one currently active.
anyway, you can rename the current open workspace by choosing eclipse->preferences->general->workspace and changing the option "workspace name (shown in window title)" from the default's workspace folder name to whatever you want to call it. then, restart eclipse.
suppose your workspace's folder is "/foo/bar/workspace" and you never changed its name before; its name was then the default "workspace". after you renamed it to, say, "my_workspace" and restarted eclipse, the eclipse's window title should show: "my_workspace - (some stuff that varies) - /foo/bar/workspace".
note that this is not going to modify the workspace folder's name. you may have to create a new folder with the desired name, switch to that folder (whose workspace will have the same name, by default) and import existing projects into it, as some have suggested here.
- eclipse workspace: how to rename workspace
- How to Clone an Eclipse Workspace
- In Eclipse m2e, how to reference workspace project?
- Eclipse - How to know on which workspace I'm working without clicking/changing main view
- How to fix a workspace in eclipse that does not open anymore?
- how to refresh eclipse workspace programmatically?
- How can I close all projects in an Eclipse workspace while eclipse is closed?
- How to transfer Eclipse workspace and project from Windows to Linux and Mac
- how to create an eclipse workspace with command line without actually launching eclipse?
- How to launch eclipse from a command line on MacOS with a workspace pathname
- how to get Eclipse Workspace Location URI
- How to isolate Eclipse workspace from git local repository?
- GWT, Eclipse Plugin how to rename project along with .gwt.xml file? Am getting error when try to do so
- How to copy projects into workspace of eclipse after importing the project?
- How to keep an eclipse workspace synchronized among two machines?
- How to change workspace JRE in Eclipse
- How to associate an Eclipse Workspace with TFS workspace?
- Eclipse - how to rename project folder (on filesystem)
- How to synchronize Eclipse project workspace with Git-BitBucket?
- How can I copy Eclipse classpath variables from one workspace to a new workspace?
- How to SKIP a maven plugin execution from Eclipse Build Workspace
- How to achieve eclipse Progress bar with Details button like eclipse workspace job
- How can I set up Eclipse workspace mechanic to share settings?
- Eclipse & SVN: How to Rename Files to Uppercase?
- How to rename a package in Eclipse with Subversive correctly?
- How to make Maven use Eclipse workspace default JRE?
- Eclipse working sets -- how to rename them? Also, can the error-icon be disabled?
- How to rename a method/field from Eclipse when not declared
- How to organize Eclipse - Workspace VS Programming languages
- how to use eclipse workspace on different computers
More Query from same tag
- problem with importing a package in eclipse
- Eclipse/Maven: JUnit tests not compiled when running them
- Strange "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError" in Eclipse
- Call a Java function from C code in Android using Eclipse without calling Java
- How to use Eclipse for both PHP and Java?
- Challenges starting off with Gradle, Spring and DB2
- base64 encoding of png binary doesn't work JDK 11.0.3+7 Eclipse 4.11.0
- Runtime Exception unable to start MainActivity
- Android AVD never starts up
- iPhone/iPad export Eclipse Plug-ins
- Get the number of method calls between java files
- Unable to launch bluetooth chat sample app from developer.android.com on emulator
- SWT Layouts - Cannot vertically center Text widget within GridLayout
- class file size difference when running javac ant in eclipse and command line
- Grouping Files in Project Explorer in Eclipse
- Google TV walk-through appears to be incorrect. Third party Add-ons?
- How I can get current container and package for my custom eclipse wizard plugin?
- How can I copy an Eclipse installation (Yoxos distribution) to another computer?
- How to handle path to resource in maven project packed to jar
- Building single files in Eclipse
- Tabhost program cannot be run in android eclipse
- Can't see styling changes in POI Apache Excel .xls document
- How to include database into my app
- How to develop an algorithm for computing the month-by-month balance in savings accounts
- django development mode runserver --noreload hits 100 percent cpu usage
- eclipse shows only "open projects" in project explorer
- How to obtain Play! framework's Javadocs?
- OSX Eclipse: No Java virtual machine was found after searching the following locations
- log4j2 not working for JAR
- ldap authentication fails when running tomcat server in eclipse. Permission denied