They are actually quite similar in terms of the task they perform which is to compile the source and test paths of the project with javax.tools.JavaCompiler by default.
Does intellij call maven?
No it doesn't by default. Remember that this is just IntelliJ's built in Java compiler and some Java projects don't use maven.
Does both of them compile the sources to the same place?
Yes, they use the same source files to compile if that's what you are asking here.
Do they both copy resources files?
Yes they both copy the resource files to different locations though.
Why do we need both options?
We don't need both options. Maven compile command checks the source code against any syntactical errors which effectively covers the work done by IntelliJ's make option.
Does intellij download the dependencies automatically and we can just call project make, without using maven compile?
Intellij's compiler can be considered as syntax compiler which is why you need maven to handle your project's dependencies.
Let's think we have a Project A which is use Maven Project B.
If you had changed B project you have to update this project on A. Then you have to compile B in A.
But if you had changed only A you dont have to compile Maven.
No, IntelliJ doesn't call maven, but get all information from the pom.xml e.g. output directories libraries etc.
So don't worry, you can call make from IntelliJ for compiling and running your application. If you have some special goals in your maven build file you can run it from the maven window.
All maven dependencies will be downloaded from IntelliJ an stored in the maven local repository.
- Difference between intellij Project make and Maven Compile?
- Difference between Eclipse Build Project and Maven Compile command
- difference between building project using maven and eclipse export as Jar
- Difference between maven project and other projects in Eclipse
- What is the difference between the Eclipse Package Explorer and the Eclipse Project Explorer?
- Difference between static and dynamic web project in eclipse
- What is the difference between Project and Faceted Project in Eclipse?
- What is the difference between Eclipse "Import" and "Create project from existing source" for Android projects?
- What is difference between JPA Project and EJB Project in Eclipse?
- Creating a JSF project with Maven and IntelliJ
- What is the difference between Maven Dependencies and Referenced Libraries in Eclipse?
- What's the difference between Maven Jar Plugin and Maven Source Plugin?
- What is the difference between Web Fragment Project and Dynamic Web Project?
- What is the difference between "Java Build Path" and "Deployment assembly" in Eclipse dynamic web project IDE?
- Android Studio - Difference between Import project and Open project
- What is the difference between package and project in Eclipse?
- Difference between server clean and project clean
- what is the difference between refresh and update project in eclipse
- What is the difference between console and eclipse maven
- Difference between Android application project and Android Project
- What is the difference between Maven build and Maven build... in Eclipse?
- What is the difference between maven update and maven build?
- Whats the difference between an Enterprise Application Project and an EJB Project?
- Eclipse Cpp - What is the difference between C Project, C/C++ Project and C++ Project?
- what is the difference between projects and libraries in eclipse's build path for any java project
- Difference between dynamic web project and enterprise application project
- Difference between Sling Content Project and Sling Bundle Project
- what is the difference between maven-archetype-webapp and eclipse dynamic web project
- How to compile and run Java application within Maven project in Eclipse?
- Make Eclipse recognize the difference between normal source files and test source files
More Query from same tag
- How can I stop Eclipse from asking to install Subversive Connectors
- Eclipse with vrapper doesn't recognize file changes
- Generate java code in Eclipse?
- 0 returned getting id of a resource when using a Library project
- Eclipse Editor: How to change file format from Dos to Unix
- Unable to find explicit activity class even though it exists
- Running SWT GUI from jar file is different (and faulty) but works perfectly running from eclipse
- Turn off FreeMarker validation in Eclipse 3.5
- How to view closed windows in intellij?
- Getting documention to appear in intellitext window using eclispe and java
- Using jar file in another project
- Eclipse Unfortunately (App) has stopped
- Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no jzmq in java.library.path in Eclipse
- .class file from jython with pydev
- Cant add record to sqlite database using DialogFragment
- default eclips's android new activity crashes
- Hibernate exception hibernate.cfg.xml not found
- Gradle GWT multiproject, compileGwt not finding subproject classpath
- Java Gradle Eclipse - UTF-8 symbols showing before build in IDE but not after build
- Eclipse - Java - Parsing Data for android-23 failed
- How to access SQL server database from an phonegap android app?
- While function python
- Create Eclipse context sub-menus responsively
- What's wrong when I try to install ADT on Eclipse?
- Can eclipse prevent you from using particular classes?
- How does one configure Eclipse to compile using -std=c99?
- Using Java Jar Utility
- java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter
- In Eclipse Java EE servlet does not output to console
- Eclipse for RCP and RAP Developers: Juno Service Release 2