mylyn should be your answer here.
mylyn is a task-focused interface for eclipse that makes working with very large workspaces as easy as working with small ones.
mylyn extends eclipse with mechanisms for keeping track of the tasks that you work on.
mylyn monitors your work activity on those tasks to identify information relevant to the task-at-hand. mylyn monitors eclipse and captures your interaction in a task context.
system artifacts such as files, types, methods, and fields get assigned a degree-of-interest based on how recently and frequently you interact with them.
this results in uninteresting elements being filtered from view within eclipse, allowing you to focus in on what is important.
- activate the task to reopen all files and
- deactivate the task to close all the files.
i've edited this answer as per below comment (include essential parts of answer in this post).
yes, you can save off groups of tabs in eclipse by installing this session manager plug-in.
i've wanted this functionality in eclipse as well. i recently wrote a feature and have been successfully using it for a few months now. it is a new osgi type extension and works with eclipse neon and above.
here's how to install it.
- in eclipse, go to help → install new software
- click “add”, enter a name like “editor sessions” and the following url. http://spillikinaerospace.com/eclipseinstall/
- unckeck “group items by category” to see the feature.
- check the box that says “editor sessions manager” and click next.
- read and agree to the short license agreement.
- click the remaining install buttons.
- allow eclipse to restart.
full set of instructions are here: http://chrishull.com/projects/eclipse/
please give it a try and send comments. i've found it a very useful tool as i work with several eclipse projects at once and need to recall file groups.
hope you enjoy it;
in addition to all mentioned... did you try bookmarks? you can save multiple bookmarks into one set, there are bookmark sets management option and you can add descriptions with prefixes to group bookmarks on the same set. finally and more important: you can select multiple bookmarks, select goto and multiple editors will be opened at once.
the accepted answer tells us which tool could be used but does not provide a quick and dirty explanation on how to use it.
in my case, i hadn't finished researching a large code base but i needed to save my progress so i could return to it later hence the need to save all open tabs using mylyn.
if you already have mylyn installed, navigate to
window -> show view -> task listto view the list of tasks. if you've never used it before, the list will be empty.
right-click inside the
task listview then
new -> categoryto create a new category. right-click again
new -> taskto create a new task.
double-click on the task you just created then click on the
contexttab at the bottom left of the view.
now navigate to each tab which you would like mylyn to save by clicking on the tab name. notice how an entry for the source file for that tab is added in
contexttab of the
once you've cycled through all the tabs you'd like to save, you can confirm they were saved by closing each one and double-clicking the source file in the
task list to restore the tab.
eclipse provides multiple ways of structuring the ide desktop:
- perspectives: customization of the positions of open and closed views and editors. you can copy and rename existing perspectives like the java perspective and suit them to your needs by customizing them. see the window menu or right-click on the perspective icon in the upper right corner
- task management tools like mylyn: see answer by vonc
- multiple windows: you can open new windows and move them to your second monitor. select window > new window to open a new window. each window keeps track of its own open editors.
- multiple instances of eclipse: you can always use multiple workspaces and multiple instances of eclipse. however, this is only recommended when working on different projects, as both instances would overwrite each others files when rebuilding.
- hotkeys: by using shortcuts like
ctrl-qyou can quickly jump to previous locations where you have edited source files. this is a great help in navigating the open workspace.
- Can you save groups of tabs in Eclipse so you can open them later?
- Can i increase the number of visible open file tabs in Eclipse
- servlet on eclipse asks me "do you want to save this file or find a program online to open it" when run on server
- Can you control how long content assist window stays open in Eclipse
- Can you organize imports for an entire project in eclipse with a keystroke?
- Can you have 2 completely independent instances of Eclipse running at the same time?
- Where does Eclipse save the list of files to open on startup?
- How do you open an external Vim editor containing the active Eclipse editor file
- How do you open the Eclipse web browser?
- How can I get Eclipse to insert tabs instead of spaces for Java content assist?
- Can you define your own template variables in Eclipse
- Can you Disable DDMS in Eclipse
- When using Eclipse with FindBugs can you mark a bug as not a bug and have it removed from the bug list?
- Can I sort the tabs in Eclipse alphabetically?
- Eclipse load data from 2.3 to 4.4 every time you open an xml file
- Can you have #regions in Android / eclipse
- Get rid of that silly space eclipse generates when you open an EL expression
- Can I save Eclipse files from a gradle tasks?
- How do you attach JSdoc in Eclipse so that I can have autocomplete for a personal library
- Is there a limit on the number of lines of code you can put in an Eclipse java doument
- When you get a stack trace in Eclipse with SDK classes in the stack, how can you see the SDK sources?
- How can you set-up PHP + xDebug + (x)Unit + Eclipse to work with breakpoints in unit tests?
- Can you enable variable highlighting with Eclipse PDT?
- How do you make Eclipse recognize Java EE jar files so Servlets can compile?
- Can eclipse prevent you from using particular classes?
- How do you add a PHP framework to code completion/assist in Eclipse PDT and can the framework be added as default for all projects?
- Can you publish a .war directly from eclipse to a web server
- How can I get eclipse to run currently open source file?
- Can you add subfolder to layout in Eclipse Android project?
More Query from same tag
- How to disable positive and negative button if the checkbox is unchecked in java?
- Android Eclipse ADT Release building project does not remove debug fields
- Java: The import org.apache.commons.lang cannot be resolved [Eclipse]
- Dynamic loading java classes in terminal
- Java file compile using javac unable to refer to other files in the same directory
- gwt mvp contacts example project gives error when importing it in eclipse
- Eclipse and HotSpot VM: does it run / debug client or server by default?
- how to send double value through bundle
- Eclipse Code Assist inside method or type name
- illegal state exception could not find a method in Eclipse using ADT?
- AutoComplete for HTML tags in Eclipse
- Tomcat: Class not found exception
- Eclipse - Find Java references of a library without attached sources
- Eclipse code generation with papyrus
- Creating EPStatement in Esper by using Eclipse
- Regex for finding substrings using Grep Console in Eclipse
- How to solve java.lang.RuntimeException: The P3D renderer is not in the class path. while running Processing from Eclipse?
- How to use TortoiseSVN together with Eclipse
- how to take full page screenshot in chrome using selenium
- Connecting Eclipse JSP Page with MySQL DataSource
- Compile and run Eclipse Project from command prompt
- Error when running app through android phone via eclipse
- how to set default permissions for local files newly checked out of subversion via eclipse
- PrimeFaces login attempt (example) failure
- Restful service Request Source Not Available
- How can I find an Eclipse update site of a specific class/package
- How do I enable spell checking in Eclipse?
- Cannot deploy an application to Glassfish 4.1 in Eclipse
- Why Intel® Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager (Intel® HAXM) give me an error on install?
- Appending to a Textfile while keeping the stored data in the TextFile