If nothing works, then try uninstalling and then reinstalling Eclipse. This is how i just fixed this problem after trying everything suggested on this forum.
I got the same error when I was using Texas Instrument's Code Composer Studio which is built on eclipse. It happened when I changed my Workspace folder to be inside the Google Drive folder. Deleting files from YOUR_WORKSPACE/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/ did not work for me.
The following worked for me:
- Take backup of original Workspace folder
- Delete the original Workspace (from the Google Drive folder)
- Start Eclipse (works fine now)
- Restore the Workspace backup to a non Google Drive folder
However deleting and restoring the Workspace folder is not advisable since it can have other complications. But I was desperate.
I had 2 version of JDK installed - JDK 7 and JDK 8. Initially it worked even when both the versions were there and was able to use Git and Gradle and up the Spring Boot Application.
Then after system restart/sleep, workspace prompt did not come up.
Uninstalled JDK 7 and it prompts for workspace,now.
I have got the same error after removing
eclipse and installing it again.
.metadata directory and running
eclipse -clean does not work for me, but the following works for me:
sudo cp /usr/lib/jni/libswt-*3740.so ~/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/
if you have a 32 bits based system do:
sudo cp /usr/lib/jni/libswt-*3740.so ~/.swt/lib/linux/x86/
In my case I didn't want to remove eclipse because in corporate world we can't control everything. Also deleting some files from workspace
.matadata could not help. So below hack that I found with trial and error worked for me perfectly :
Go to this path:
Start eclipse again and woilaa.. it will run normally.
[In my case, I use eclipse luna. I once abruptly closed the PC when eclipse was open. Then eclipse was not able to start on the next system restart. So keep in mind to close eclipse properly.
My OS architecture is 64-bit so downloaded Eclipse Oxygen 64-bit version and got this error. Tried various solutions posted here but didn't help. Then downloaded Eclipse Oxygen 32-bit version and it works well.
For me the problem was that I installed Java sdk 1.9 before installing eclipse. deleting it and installing Java sdk 1.8 instead fixed it. Also, if you are using mac, try
your should get something like
For STS on MacOS, i followed the following steps:
Go to the STS directory from terminal:
STS started, but all my imported projects were removed.
The reason may be that you are trying to use
old version of Eclipse for new version of Java. I've downloaded the latest Eclipse (which is Oxygen) and it worked for me.
It worked for me when I went to
WorkSpace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.e4.workbench and then remove the *.xmi files.
Deleting metadata folder might not work in this case. Or eclipse -clean command. Or reinstall eclipse might not solve this.
Instead try deleting other java versions you might have in your machine.
Check what you have right now using this:
Delete other java versions which you don't want, following below command:
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/java-version.jdk
This should resolve your issue.
The issue is due to the availability of more than one eclipse versions. I tried removing both installations and started with a clean install and it worked. Also, make sure after the install point to a new workspace.
In my case, error was due to Java 14 , which is not an LTS, downgraded it to java 8 and it worked.
It happened to me after I rename the file folder. I Try to delete my workspace or .metadata or .manager folder, and not work. Then I download the program again and I choose the complete download. It is 337.511 KB and in zip File. But I place it in Flashdisk. I open the zipfile then I run eclipse.exe. It work. Then I import all my work file. It work back again show in Project Explorer. I close eclipse. Then I click eclipse icon in desktop ( I didn't delete the program). Now It work fine.
This instruction works 100% for me:
- Rename the Eclipse workspace name
- Start Eclipse (it will start successfully with empty workspace)
- Exit it and change workspace name to previous state(if ask to replace some files, press no)
- Start Eclipse again and Re import projects in current workspace
Sounds simple but just delete/uninstall eclipse and install it again.
I was getting the same error while opening the eclipse. to solve that I checked the log file inside the metadata folder. where I found that there is version mismatch of Java. so I have changed the VM inside my eclipse ini file.
Hope this will also help to solve your problem.
None of the current answers worked for me. On CentOS, I had to delete the .eclipse folder from home directory. Then eclipse launched just fine!
For me it was down to a locking/permissions bug on
(path to Eclipse IDE)\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi.manager.fileTableLock
Spring Tool Suite 4 (64 bit for Windows Server 2016)
Version: 4.2.2.RELEASE Build Id: 201905232009
based on Eclipse
Version: 2.2.500.v20190307-0500 Build id: I20190307-0500
wouldn't launch and a pop up dialog appeared saying:
launch error has occurred see log file null
(This became apparent from the latest text log file in the folder (path to Eclipse IDE)\configuration)
!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2019-06-19 18:41:10.408 !MESSAGE Error reading configuration: C:\opt\sts-4.2.2.RELEASE\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\.manager\.fileTableLock (Access is denied) !STACK 0 java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\opt\sts-4.2.2.RELEASE\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\.manager\.fileTableLock (Access is denied) ...
I had to go and tweak the permissions via File Explorer (Full access).
It appeared as if the IDE was doing nothing for a while.
The splash screen for Spring Tool Suite (based on Eclipse) eventually disappeared and the IDE started up again.
Now everything is back working correctly again.
i found the solution. i have installed 2 versions of jre sdk 1.3 and jre7 so i uninstall the older version sdk1.3 then it works.
Then change the working project directory to something different. It should work after that.
The best way is to delete all the
*.snap files from
Here's what I did to solve this:
- I removed
- run eclipse as an administrator.
In my case my JAVA_HOME was pointed to jdk9 after pointing JAVA_HOME to jdk8 resolved my issue. Hope it helps someone.
I deleted the entire
.metadata folder, and it worked for me.
In my mac machine, I checked whether I installed two java versions or not. I got this error. Because i installed two java at a time.
User -> Library -> Java -> JavaVirtualMachines -> version 1.8.0 and version 11.0.1 has been installed.
I removed version 11.0.1. Now its working fine.
Delete the .metadata folder from workspace and start the eclipse and now again import all project in same workspace, this worked for me.
- Quit eclipse
- GO to your workspace and delete .metadata folder
- Now open eclipse with same Workspace path ( You will see as a new workspace )
- Now right click import > General > Existing Projects into Workspace > next > Select root directory -> browse to your current workspace and press OK.
- Now you will all see your all projects and then hit OK again.
- Voila, same projects with same workspace no migration or reference problem.
After trying everything else, this solves my issue.
Try deleting following file from workspace.
Or try launching it from console.
- An error has occured. Please see log file - eclipse juno
- An error has occured. Please see log file - eclipse
- Eclipse Juno doesn't start - An error has occurred. See the log file [\.metadata\.log.]
- Android Eclipse won't start. An error has occurred. see the log file
- Java 11 and E(fx)clipse JavaFX plugin on Eclipse 4.9: An error has occurred - see the log file
- With java 9 ea, Eclipse fails to install and show error "An error has occurred, see the log file null"
- Eclipse - An error has occured. See the log file null
- Android Eclipse with ADT: An error has occurred. see the log file
- Eclipse installation error : an error has occurred. See the log file
- Eclipse Juno Startup error log file
- Error message displayed when opening Eclipse: "An error has occurred. See the log file null"
- Eclipse - Error occurred at launch / see log file
- [Eclipse not starting]:An error has occured. See the log file null
- Eclipse crashes : "An error has occurred. See the log file"
- Eclipse An Error has occurred.See the log File (Windows x64)
- An error has occurred See the log file /Users/georgethornton/workspace/.metadata/.log
- How can I fix the error "An error has occurred. See the log file null" in ubuntu 16.10?
- An error occured while opening STS . msg: see the log file at C:\STS\sts-bundle\sts-3.7.3.RELEASE\configuration\1481178515487.log
- Eclipse does not start. An error has occured. See the log file. C:\path_to_eclipse\configuration\1429818588469.log
- Eclipse: An error has occurred. See the log file
- Error "A JNI error has occurred. Please check your installation and try again in Eclipse x86 Windows 8.1"
- Gradle eclipse plugin : Could not find method jcenter() for arguments  on repository container. See error log for details
- Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again in Maven Project in Eclipse EE
- JavaEE6 Web profile installation error 'The configuration has failed. Please see the output below'
- Log file error in opening eclipse
- android Compilation error "An error has occurred. See error log for more details. com.android.ddmlib.IDevice.getName()Ljava/lang/String;"
- Eclipse - class file is generated automatically even though java file has compilation error
- Internal error occured in parsing hprof file in eclipse
- Attempting to execute JavaFX program Jar file yeilds "Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again"
- An error has occured. See the log file, eclipse-workspace/.metadata/.log
More Query from same tag
- Exporting executable/runnable jar in eclipse
- How to stop my XML file from being truncated when I try and parse the file
- Infinite rebuild loop in Eclipse CDT
- How to stop logcat messages
- Bundle Exception while running OSGI framework
- Creating an eclipse plugin without gui: what am I missing?
- Android AVD the "ok" button is disabled
- The service definition selected is invalid when use https
- EclipsePDT: how to add a Drupal project?
- Eclipse Device Chooser cant find my Dell Streak
- Display Google Maps on second screen of Android application
- Logcat randomly not logging: Eclipse 4.2.0 and android-sdk_r20.0.3-macosx
- Eclipse as thin client for web app
- Error on creating a BPMN diagram with BPMN2 and Graphiti
- Eclipse C++ Header and Files Issues
- failed to load the JNI shared library "C:\Windows\system32\..\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll\" ECLIPSE
- <f:propertyActionListener> tag not found
- Using Eclipse as an Editor (like Coda or Vim)
- Getting error while installing SonarQube plugin in eclipse 4.2.2
- How to completely disable the default Cursor.TEXT for a TextArea object
- Resources not found... can run in eclipse but not from jar
- Eclipse word wrap line number mismatching
- Eclipse: Programmatically manipulate class
- How do I deploy from Eclipse (Windows) to Azure Web Apps for Linux, with automatic uploading of Linux-environment specific files?
- Eclipse: "Replace with branch, tag or version" does not work as expected
- Problems with Android Development
- Adding context to my view and binding key to this context
- How to externalize strings to multiple files in Eclipse
- Already connected: but no output
- See app changes in real time on real device