update july 2017:
from adt plugin page, the question must be unasked:
the eclipse adt plugin is no longer supported, as per this announcement in june 2015.
the eclipse adt plugin has many known bugs and potential security bugs that will not be fixed.
you should immediately switch to use android studio, the official ide for android. for help transitioning your projects, read migrate to android studio.
the adt plug-in is yet not compatible with 3.6
i have been using eclipse 3.6 with adt for the past three months for developing applications on android. i haven't faced any issues so far. it really good and working fine.
the best option is to use the free community version of intellij idea 11+. the adt eclipse plugin is always having problems.
you can use the eclipse indigo ee version for android development. it is quite good, and i haven't faced any issues so far.
i would recommend at least eclipse indigo (v 3.7) for android development because even though a minimum of helios (v 3.6) is required for adt 22.0.1 as explained here...
... indigo is required for android ndk development using cdt, as explained here:
get the full android-sdk plus the dependencies at http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html.
do have java installed :)
if you are just getting into android, you would be well served by using android studio rather than using any version of eclipse. android studio was released in 2013 and provides a nice integrated development environment for developing for android.
android studio is based on intellij, which is a great java devlopment environment. it also has these specific android features:
- gradle-based build support.
- android-specific refactoring and quick fixes.
- lint tools to catch performance, usability, version compatibility and other problems.
- proguard and app-signing capabilities.
- template-based wizards to create common android designs and components.
- a rich layout editor that allows you to drag-and-drop ui components, preview layouts on multiple screen configurations, and much more.
you can download it here.
eclipse 3.5 for java developer is the best option for you and 3.6 version is good but not at all because of compatibility issues.
as of 10/2011 ... classic is fine for android development.
see compare eclipse packages for a nice chart.
**june 2012 **
google recommends eclipse helios, eclipse classic or eclipse rcp. for details, read the below post.
look under adt 18.0.0 (april 2012).
eclipse helios (version 3.6.2) or higher is required for adt 18.0.0.
look under installing the adt plugin.
if you need to install or update eclipse, you can download it from http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/. the "eclipse classic" version is recommended. otherwise, a java or rcp version of eclipse is recommended.
april 2014 updated
eclipse indigo (version 3.7.2) or higher is required. i'll suggest you to use eclipse kepler.
adt 22.6.0 (march 2014)
i literally did this 1 hour ago.
- sdk r7
- get java - if you don't have (its the first image link jdk)
- get eclipse - it's the first on the list with the most downloads
- android plugin
download the appropriate files for your os. the android sdk needs java in order to install. once you get the android sdk installed go get eclipse and install that. basically download the file and unzip then in a directory. the android install is the same but it will install a lot more files. (5) finally open eclipse and go to help > install new software >> and add the url to the plugin - i used this one https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/
released in june 2012, eclipse for mobile developers is an awesome starting point for developers looking to focus on android development. i've used it for several projects since august and haven't been disappointed.
the easiest solution is to download the android sdk bundle:
the adt bundle provides everything you need to start developing apps, including a version of the eclipse ide with built-in adt (android developer tools) to streamline your android app development.
- Which Eclipse version should I use for an Android app?
- which version of Eclipse I should use for Android Development
- Which Eclipse wtp version should I use for maven?
- Which version of Eclipse to use with Android
- Which Eclipse IDE to use for android development?
- How do I create custom GUI controls in Eclipse for use in Android app layouts?
- Which eclipse version to install for developing in Android (Aug 2012)
- which version of eclipse to use with app engine java?
- Which Eclipse Version for Android that Runs on Embedded
- Which Eclipse to use for Android Development
- Which install of eclipse should I use for python development?
- Which Eclipse package should I download for PyDev?
- How to convert an Eclipse Android project to use Ant for build?
- how do I get eclipse to use a different compiler version for Java?
- How to use Gradle to generate Eclipse and Intellij project files for Android projects
- How can I check/upgrade Proguard version when using it in Eclipse for Android development?
- Which version of Eclipse should I be downloading?
- What version of Eclipse is included with the SDK ADT bundle for Android Dev?
- Which version of Eclipse should I run on OSX? 32bit or 64bit?
- I have just created small android project in Eclipse, which files I should add to version control?
- How to use Linked Files in Eclipse for PhoneGap project with Android
- What Version of Eclipse do I use for Android?
- Which Eclipse version should I download?
- How to import android studio project in eclipse which use library?
- Which Eclipse for Android only?
- How to use Eclipse for remote debugging of a Google App Engine (GAE) application
- Which editor to use for rich text formatting (WYSIWYG) in an Eclipse RCP project?
- Eclipse to Android show app icons for each class when deployed
- Version of Eclipse for Android Development
- Which eclipse version to use on a Mac? (Carbon or Cocoa)
More Query from same tag
- How to view design of JSP In eclipse
- Eclipse Glassfish launch configuration - VM arguments are ignored
- How can I add submenus for pop up menu programatically?
- How to get .xhtml code assist for IceFaces 4?
- - Syntax error on token ".", @ expected after this token
- How to send image in JDA
- The constructor BitmapDrawable() is deprecated fix
- Eclipse Internal Browser doesn't apply HTML tags
- Indentation in Eclipse
- Why the new version of EGIT(3.3.x) has errors on my system and eclipse?
- Eclipse fails to create JVM after defining --launcher.XXMaxPermSize in eclipse.ini
- How do I use external resources in xtext generated plugins?
- eclipse dynamic web project default start page
- If i have a list of pairs ex. (String, int) how to add every int in strings are the same to one single pair
- Creating bowling game. Ball shape is modified when chaging X-axis
- how to calculate time used in one activity on eclipse?
- Can't debug a Pyramid project in Eclipse/Pydev with Waitress
- How do I increase the capacity of the Eclipse output console?
- Will rascal supports MAC M1 - Monterey OS?
- using eclipse for other languages than java?
- Refactoring: Move Xtend class to another package
- Blackberry with Eclipse - How can I get rid of multiple Debug Servers?
- How to cleanly shutdown Eclipse from Linux command line?
- Setting up an existing Eclipse IDE with JDK 1.6
- Wildfly 10 Not using database but getting a jpa error
- HTTP Status 500 - An exception occurred processing JSP page /index.jsp at line 9
- Wildfly + Eclipse Deployment Scanners
- Using IAnnotationTransformer outside testng.xml
- App cannot be installed after bad uninstall
- DDMS (Android debug monitor) doesn't list processes on Galaxy S II