it syncs the eclipse project settings with that of the pom. if you for example change important plugin settings, such as the output java version, you will find that eclipse will ask you to update the project and afterwards the configured java runtime in the project will have changed to reflect what your maven pom indicates.
that is an important thing to keep in mind: the maven pom is the lead in this kind of project setup. if you want settings to change, try to do that through the pom and not through eclipse project settings directly or doing a project update might revert what you have changed. there are usually some things i have to correct myself anyway though, such as build path exclusions that m2eclipse likes to put in and strange deployment assembly configurations.
i could not dig out the documentaiton, but i was able to dig out the code. to complement @gimby answer - you can go into details and look into what the function does in here:
look for : updateprojectconfiguration0 function.
to add on to what @gimby said - update project also provides more options such as
force update of snapshots / releases which is extremely helpful when you have dependencies that are looking for the latest. (e.g.:
[1.0) will find 1.0.* - whatever's the latest.)
updating project is synonymous with ivy's resolve. it will make sure that all referenced dependencies are there, as well as clean the project to make sure that they are included correctly.
- What does Maven Update Project do in Eclipse?
- What exactly does Maven Update Project do in Eclipse?
- mvn verify downloads jars from artifactory but Eclipse Maven -> Update project does not work
- What causes imported Maven project in Eclipse to use Java 1.5 instead of Java 1.6 by default and how can I ensure it doesn't?
- Why does Eclipse take so long to update Maven dependencies?
- Maven does not add classpath to Eclipse project
- what does Maven -> Update Project... exactly?
- Maven does not add dependency jar files to project when importing to eclipse
- Eclipse + Maven + Groovy: src/test/groovy directory gets removed after update project configuration
- what is the difference between refresh and update project in eclipse
- Maven Hides Web.xml from Eclipse and JBossAS Tools after Update Project Configuration
- Maven (m2e) does not update the JRE in Eclipse
- on update maven project it removes the attribute name="org.eclipse.jst.component.dependency" in eclipse in .classpath file
- Maven Project on Eclipse revert java compiler version (from 1.8 to 1.5) after update (alt f5)
- What does this icon mean in Eclipse Project Explorer (a number with an up-arrow)?
- eclipse nullpointer exception for modulare maven project update
- What do I need for autocomplete and ctrl+click to work in eclipse after importing a project from Perforce and converting it to a maven project?
- Eclipse maven jboss project - what do I need to add to the pom.xml so maven can compile?
- What does this eclipse error mean: "path for project must have only one segment"?
- Eclipse -> Maven -> Update Project Configuration and Maven Standard Directory Layout
- Why does eclipse not find the beans.xml files in a spring based Maven project
- Eclipse: Maven -> Update Project leads to Eclipse -> Tomcat 7 starting issue
- Eclipse Juno and Maven plugin fails with project update
- Why does eclipse not recognize Java nature of a multimodule maven project if name template is added to it?
- Why does Eclipse New Maven Project not list Spring Boot Starters?
- Does Project->Build Project in Eclipse with m2e include any Maven goal by default?
- Update Maven Project to Java 17 in Eclipse 2022-03 is not working
- Unable to update Maven Project from Eclipse
- Eclipse - Maven does not add dependencies to project automatically
- What is the adviseable Git repository structure for a Maven Project to be used from Eclipse IDE
More Query from same tag
- Gnatbench runs Ada program before compile
- Eclipse Workspace problems over Microsoft OneDrive
- SDL init failure, reason is: No available video device in ubuntu 12.04 LTS
- Why is Eclipse asking to declare strictfp inside enum
- How to get lombok generated source to be visible in eclipse/maven?
- Increase the maximum number of javadoc warnings when compiling with Ant
- eclipse, pydev, easy_install-ed eggs problem
- SVN error on connecting with eclipse
- No Java virtual machine was found after searching the following locations:
- passing Xmx argument to ant script from eclipse
- Associate a project in eclipse to sonar shows only master branch
- Which eclipse is the best fit for Android development ?
- Eclipse - black background in javadoc popup
- Get an FLabel or image to move with keyboard
- Eclipse Neon: How to change color of selected line?
- How to load a spring context from external library's spring files
- how to access the java web project that is hosted on a server through url from anywhere in the world
- Eclipse CDT C++ error
- Runtime error due to random variable
- Subversion: Tag and commit modified files at once
- How do I use an SWT Control to render the content of an SWT/JFace table?
- Decoding sub-events from Eclipse Event Service
- Java started but returned exit code =1
- Java remote debugging, eclipse can't stay connected
- Eclipse reported "Failed to load JNI shared library"
- FileNotFoundException when loading freemarker template in java
- Server Tomcat v7.0 at localhost failed to start
- unresolved external symbol in eclipse cdt
- How can i start my Tomcat 8 in Debug mode which is Installed in "C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.0\"
- Not able to install Apache Tomcat6 to eclipse 3.5 on ubuntu 10.10