in visual studio and most other half decent ides you can simply do shift+tab. it does the opposite of just tab.
i would think and hope that the ides you mention support this as well.
you can also change the shortcut. use the command+k command+s shortcuts to open the keyboard shortcut menu and search for the "tab" then find the "outdent" on the list.
don't know if anyone is still looking here, but you can do this by going to window menu > preferences, then open the general list, choose keys. scroll down the list of keys until you see "shift left". click that. below that you'll see some boxes, one of which lets you bind a key. it won't accept shift-tab, so i bound it to shift-`. apply-and-close and you're all set.
shift-tab does that in flex builder (based on eclipse) - so it hopefully should work in regular eclipse :)
in pycharm just use shift+tab to move a block of code left.
this workaround works most of the time. it uses eclipse's 'smart insert' features instead:
- control x to erase the selected block of text, and keep it for pasting.
- control+shift enter, to open a new line for editing above the one you are at.
- you might want to adjust the tabbing position at this point. this is where tabbing will start, unless you are at the beginning of the line.
- control v to paste back the buffer.
hope this helps until shift+tab is implemented in eclipse.
shift-tab doesn't seem to work on multi-lines in aptana. it also doesn't work on single lines with a single preceding space. any workarounds? i use shift-tab (outdent) to fix badly formatted code all the time.
i miss netbeans ...
update: it works on multi-newlines, if the multi-lines have the same level of indentation. it should just continue outdenting the other lines that haven't reached the beginning of the new line yet. is there an option to change this i wonder?
in general shift + tab works for any environment.
here is a general answer for untab :-
in python idle :- ctrl + [
in elipse :- shitft + tab
in visual studio :- shift+ tab
shift-tab outdents again :)
here's where the standard shortcut keys are covered:
you'll find many of the more esoteric ones here:
- Keyboard shortcut to "untab" (move a block of code to the left) in eclipse / aptana?
- Eclipse keyboard shortcut to indent source code to the left?
- Is there a keyboard shortcut in Eclipse to move to the next closing parenthesis?
- What is the keyboard shortcut to go to a file in Eclipse on Mac OS X?
- Is there a keyboard shortcut in Eclipse to fold the current method/block?
- What is the keyboard shortcut for method suggestions in Eclipse on Mac OS X?
- what's the keyboard shortcut to toggle breakpoint in pydev using eclipse
- How do I compile my code in Eclipse using keyboard shortcut key
- Can't breakpoint the last statement of a code block in Eclipse
- How to add a keyboard shortcut to the Team->Add command in eclipse
- How can I scroll left and right in Eclipse editor with the keyboard without moving the cursor?
- Can I make an Eclipse keyboard shortcut to toggle the view of the Console?
- What's the Eclipse keyboard shortcut to select the variable name / to expand the selection?
- Is there a shortcut key to move a code selection left or right in eclipse?
- What's the Eclipse run code shortcut on Mac?
- Is there an Eclipse keyboard shortcut to open the SVN Console?
- How can I run code in Eclipse IDE using keyboard shortcut keys
- How to left-justify lines of code to the left edge of the window in eclipse
- Is there a way to copy the contents of a String in Eclipse using a keyboard shortcut or menu item?
- Eclipse keyboard shortcut conflicts. How to associate a key binding with the plugin that added it?
- Installing jboss jsf 3.3 tools (no others) for Eclipse 3.7 breaks my block comment shortcut ctrl+shift+L in the jsf 2 xhtml file
- How to turn off the Eclipse code formatter for certain sections of Java code?
- Eclipse copy/paste entire line keyboard shortcut
- How to modify the keyboard shortcuts in Eclipse IDE?
- Is there a shortcut in Eclipse to Re-run the most recently launched program?
- What is the Eclipse shortcut for "public static void main(String args)"?
- shortcut : how to get eclipse to go to the ONLY implementation of an interface's method
- What is the eclipse shortcut for auto-generating a default and field constructor?
- what's the shortcut of switching between different perspectives in eclipse
- Maximize code tab in eclipse shortcut
More Query from same tag
- JFileChooser Hanging After Dialog Closes
- ClassNotFoundException all of a sudden in eclipse
- Debugging jar file with source code attached in eclipse
- Get IFile from IWorkspaceRoot and location String
- Plugin for aptana/eclipse that saves my opened files?
- How to use Purchase Status API
- Testing with Robolectric in Eclipse
- package java.nio.file does not exist
- Struts 2 add an action to struts.xml
- Compare to the IDE for Java,do we still need Ant?
- Spring Tool Suite 4: not possible to open projects after the update to version 4.5.0
- Eclipse - Change problems view action
- Can i format full project in eclipse
- Filter Eclipse's "Open Call Hierarchy" to just my company/project
- Hot Key for Eclipse 'Run As'
- Multiple common ancestors were found and merging them resulted in a conflict
- Maven Build Error - try-with-resources is not supported in -source 1.5
- Linking Python Interpreter to PyDev Project in Eclipse
- WxPython Incompatible With OS X?
- Error while running a hibernate program in eclipse
- In Eclipse, how to close the open files(editors) when exiting without auto-load in next startup
- Getting the differences between two IFiles in an eclipse plugin
- How to troubleshoot HTTP 404 The origin server did not find a current representation for the target resource
- How do I get a JRE file for Eclipse?
- Why Constructors are not inherited?
- Unable to run Java program in Eclipse Juno 4.2
- Not able to start hybris in debug mode
- Exploring web service through WSDL that require authentication
- Unable to install Worklight for eclipse
- Eclipse: is there a way to extract method at end of class?