i put something together over the last month or so that you may find useful. it has limitations since the eclipse editor/commands weren't designed with macro support in mind, but i think it works reasonably well. i just posted practical macro at sourceforge a couple of days ago. it requires eclipse 3.4.
talking about emacs, jedit has a very strong macro facility. there are a lot of high quality macros and plug-ins, and several macros are already built it in. you can even add some logic using bean scripting, which is analogous to vba. so, you can write very powerful stuff (any many people have done so).
jedit is obviously a separate editor, but i think it's worth a shot. see http://www.jedit.org/
just for the record, there is another project called macroschmacro that does eclipse macros, but it doesn't record many important things (like searching to navigate). it is also extremely slow.
for simple text expansion on a windows computer, you could use autohotkey. it's not as powerful as most macro tools, but since it's not tied to any one program, it can be used in other editors, emails, etc.
for example, if i type ";;ln" autohotkey instantly sends the keystrokes to delete this and replace it with "system.out.println();" with the cursor in between the parentheses.
this is not an eclipse-specific one, but it can be used there as well:
note that this allows writing scripts, but not recording actions.
this seems like a strange hole in an ide, am i missing some builtin facility for this?
this is a common problem. there are around four bugs opened in eclipse tracker for this. unfortunately you would probably see macros in eclipse in v4.0 or later.
i've had success using autohotkey (windows only, though).
emacs+ version 3.x adds keyboard macros (http://www.mulgasoft.com/emacsplus) to its feature set.
- Is there a macro recorder for Eclipse?
- Is there a predefined macro for Configuration type in Eclipse CDT?
- Is there a key binding for Next Difference and Previous Difference in Eclipse Compare Editor?
- Is there a shortcut in Eclipse for generating code for decorators?
- "Selection cannot be launched and there are no recent launches” when Eclipse for Android Project Dev
- Is there a plugin for Eclipse that makes automatic imports smarter?
- Is there a reStructuredText markup editor for eclipse
- Is there a NuGet equivalent for Eclipse
- Are there any good Continuous Testing plugins for Eclipse out right now?
- Is there a Gradle plugin for Eclipse Luna?
- Is there an Eclipse plugin for collaborative editing?
- Is there some way to uninstall plugins for Eclipse Juno?
- How to use external diff viewers in eclipse? Is there any diff viewer available for eclipse inbuilt?
- Why is there no Maven repository for Eclipse Birt 3.7 => There is one for Birt 4.2
- Is there a plugin for eclipse to examine 2D arrays while debugging?
- is there Eclipse useful Add On for AutoComplete function like xCode?
- Is there a refactoring tool for Eclipse better than the built in one?
- Is there any Apache Axis WSDL2Java jar file for Eclipse Indigo
- Is there any Image Editor available for Eclipse Helios
- is there a shortcut in eclipse for generating resources (constructors , get/set .....)
- Is there any eclipse plugin available for React JS
- Is there a vim plugin for eclipse that let me remap jj to Esc?
- Is there a hot key for "go to test" in eclipse
- Is there a keyboard shortcut in Eclipse for "open declaration in layout"?
- Is there an option in eclipse like "view servlet" in netbeans for jsp files?
- Is there an Eclipse plugin for generating design patterns
- How can I convince Eclipse CDT that a macro is defined for source code editing and code completion?
- Is there a reason to have both Eclipse IDE for Java and also Eclipse IDE for Java EE?
- Is there an equivalent to BundleActivator for Eclipse fragment projects?
More Query from same tag
- putting picture in java program using MyEclipse GUI
- AndroidManifest.xml file missing error while running Maven Android project
- SLF4J writes to file, but not to eclipse console
- Can Eclipse run a single instance only of a project?
- Issue while building eclipse project with gwt plug-in
- PHP auto method args to namesake property?
- What is the purpose of the .launch file in the AndroidPocketSphinx project?
- Using egit with github and eclipse 3.8.1 on ubuntu 13.10
- Process suspended after start in Eclipse Debugger
- Coverage exclusion in Eclipse [EclEmma] is not working?
- Using TabLayout in Android Eclipse project
- How to insert custom IDs in to eclipse template - CDT
- How to use Eclipse for both PHP and Java?
- Why Maven changes Eclipse project preferences?
- Select Remote System Type list empty in Eclipse
- Android code to read from /res/values-ar needed
- getting IncompatibleClassChangeError while deploying EAR into WAS8.5 through Jenkins using GitHub
- History for my application
- Eclipse Warnings: class javax.persistence.* not found
- Combine two jUnit test cases into one
- Why is UML Designer has a dependency to itself, when installing in Eclipse Oxygen
- Is there any way to import color themes from Aptana Studio 3 to Eclipse?
- How can I see where I am comitting to using team > commit on eclipse using svn / subversive
- Changing the package name of my Android project
- Which Eclipse plugin contains class MarkerSupportView
- Why does import javax.servlet.*; cannot be resolved despite of installing Java EE | Eclipse for Java EE Developers
- Eclipse indigo 3.7 Pleiades interface language
- Run a Java Web-Application Project
- How can I turn off the auto show of ADB consoles in Eclipse?
- restart (or reload the config of) Eclipse-CS programmatically