thanks to the other two solutions, but here is the complete answer i was looking for, which addresses how i search all the text within the files, not just types, methods, packages, constructors, and fields:
- ctrl+h to open the "search" dialog box
- "file search" tab, if it does not appear, expand the window or use the left/right arrows
- type in the text to search for
- use "*.java", in my case since i am coding in java, to search just these files
- click "search"
ctrl+alt+f (find text in project -customized key)
note - ctrl+alt+g is for find text in a workspace, not in a project
how to customize this key
window->preferance->general->keys-> search for 'find text in project'->type 'ctrl+alt+f' in binding ->apply
note - this will be helpful if the developer is working on multiple project simultaneously.
as pointed out,
ctrl + h opens the search dialog.
since i use only find in files (and set file name patterns when needed), i clicked on customize... button on the bottom of the search dialog. it opens search page selection dialog, where i turned off all other options.
you can also click on remember last used page in the same dialog.
i believe adding plug-ins power your needs.
if you install plug-in named instasearch it makes your searching faster inside current active working projects.
it shows the result as you type.
- go to your key bindings windows > preferences > general > keys
- unbind the shorcut "ctrl+h" for the "open search dialog"
- filter/search for "file search" and use the "ctrl+h" here instead.
press ctrl + h . then choose "file search" tab.
additional search options
search for resources press ctrl + shift + r
search for java types press ctrl + shift + t
yes, there is shortcuts for searching eclipse, these shortcuts are very useful when we search for particular html, jsp , xml, java, properties ,class, jar,search file with keywords.
- ctrl+shift+r is used to search all files in the current project
- ctrl+shift+t is used to search all files in the workspace
if you simply want to search for all text occurrences in the whole the workspace click the word (or select the text) you want to search then hit ctrl+alt+g. you will directly get all the found occurrences without even using a dialog box.
you can rebind the ctrl+alt+g to finding text in a project or a working set instead of the whole workspace if that's more appealing to you.
- ctrl+h to bring up the search box
- click 'customize' in the lower left
- checkmark 'remember last used page'
- click ok.
- select the file search tab and do a search
if you are using only the file search, you can disable all other searches in the search panel (customize... lower left corner). then you have the file search everytime you press ctrl+h
select workspace and press ctrl-h
- Is there a shortcut in Eclipse to Re-run the most recently launched program?
- Is there a keyboard shortcut in Eclipse to fold the current method/block?
- Excluding file types in Eclipse / Aptana find in files search
- Is there a shortcut in Eclipse for generating code for decorators?
- Eclipse shortcut to find all children class that override a method
- When typing in Open Resource dialog, is there a way to find files by directory instead of just the file name?
- Eclipse shortcut to run launch files
- Is there a way to create a shortcut in Eclipse that would jump the cursor to the nth column in the current row?
- Find unused resource files (.jsp, .xhtml, images) in Eclipse
- Can't find Eclipse shortcut for Renaming
- Where can I find the source files of eclipse icons?
- Is there an Eclipse shortcut behaves just like double click using mouse?
- Eclipse shortcut to find function name
- is there a key shortcut in Eclipse to copy the whole method body into buffer?
- is there a shortcut in eclipse for generating resources (constructors , get/set .....)
- is there a shortcut key to find a function in eclipse?
- Is there an Eclipse shortcut to sort members by modifier?
- Is there a keyboard shortcut in Eclipse for "open declaration in layout"?
- Is there a way in Eclipse to find out plugins that are not used?
- cannot not find library files in eclipse cdt
- How to show only (src) files not (target) files by Eclipse shortcut (cntrl + alt + R)?
- Wrapper cannot find servlet class Eclipse stopped generating class files for Tomcat
- Eclipse find which files reference this jar
- Eclipse GDB can't find source files
- Is there a way to configure eclipse that it treats gss files like css files?
- "Could not find or load main class" after removing Maven nature and files (pom.xml, target/) from an Eclipse Project
- Keyboard shortcut for "Replace/Find" while doing a find and replace in Eclipse
- Is there a way to get maven and eclipse to generate identical class files
- Need to find file path of files in current eclipse workspace
- in Eclipse is there a shortcut to terminate and remove all tasks at once?
More Query from same tag
- Maven build fails because of maven-surefire-plugin
- Ubuntu 12.04 - Eclipse looking for different libswt-gtk
- Using Eclipse (Neon 3, 64 bit) on Windows 10, how do I bring (or keep) the Console window in view?
- How can I map the ctrl click functionality in Eclipse to a middle mouse click?
- How to create a Has-A reference (containment) in ECORE that is available at runtime?
- WebService Client - Replace Umlaut in class name
- RegEx search and replace in Eclipse over multiple lines with start and middle and end
- eclipse errors when calling methods of imported abstract classes or interfaces from different project
- Android and Eclipse - java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError with project dependency
- How to go to previous commits in eclipse and egit
- Shortcut or menu options to create a new function in case of undefined variable
- Jadclipse plugin installation issues
- Change directory of eclipse project
- Eclipse configuration to launch a Maven project with Google Web Toolkit
- Get Groovy to Recognize Eclipse Build Path
- Eclipse Oomph windows 64 bit installer downloading linux tools
- Is there a way to locate a java file quickly and directly in Eclipse if I know its filename?
- Can eclipse show suggestions of words containing the symbols I inputted in the middle of the word
- How to remove/discard "free" ram usage in android app
- Howto do project structure "src/main/java" in eclipse`?
- How to run 2 (or more) Wildfly instances on the same machine?
- Team Explorer Everywhere warning in Eclipse
- Cannot cast from View to XYPlot
- Stuck on using Hadoop after completing all the configuration
- Eclipse - Ouline View - Turn Off Filtering
- How to configure Prometheus Client Library for Java in Eclipse project with Maven
- Eclipse Juno : Where is the Hibernate Code Generation menu item?
- Eclipse or Spring Suit Error - Maven Project - Dynamic Web module cannot be changed to 3.1
- Will an old Eclipse RCP plugin work with Eclipse Che?
- While connecting tomcatv 7.0.54 with Eclipse Luno, How to clear port collision error?