There are some pretty good resources and tutorials on the main Eclipse and IBM's site. One of the best ways is to pick an open source plug-in that has some similar features to what you want to do and start to dissect it.
I think a very good resource is also to look at the examples that are available via the new Plug-In Project wizard.
Depending on what you want to provide with your plug-in, you can choose from editor plug-ins, view plug-ins, plug-ins that provide a property page (just to name a few) and see how they're built and what extension points they implement.
I found a great Eclipse plugin tutorial named Extending Eclipse - Plug-in Development Tutorial.
The best step-by-step that covers almost every aspect of plugin development is the book "Eclipse: Building Commercial Quality Plugins".
It's available at most book shops and electronically at safari: http://safari.oreilly.com/9780321574435
Eclipse has a pretty good "Your First Plug-in" tutorial. If it is confusing, I'm sure they would greatly appreciate your feedback. Keep in mind that Eclipse is essentially Java, so if you don't have a good grasp of Java go for general Java tutorials first, and then come back to Eclipse development.
O'Reilly has two good Eclipse Plugin tutorials:
They not only go through the simple code examples, but give you screen shots of the process since a lot of work is done through wizard type interface windows.
If these aren't helpful, perhaps you could be more specific as to what is difficult to follow.
- How to install plugin for Eclipse from .zip
- How to write a plugin for Eclipse?
- How to remove trailing whitespace in PyDev plugin for Eclipse
- How do I delete an Eclipse perspective for a plugin I uninstalled?
- How to use eclox, the doxygen plugin for Eclipse
- How to write a plugin for Android Studio?
- How to configure opencv in Eclipse for Java developers with plugin CDT?
- How to install SVN Repository Exploring plugin for Eclipse
- How do I tell an Eclipse plugin where a native library resides for an external plugin?
- How to make (EPIC perl) plugin on eclipse do syntax coloring for a file that does not have .pl extension
- How to get repository url and plugin id from marketplace for Eclipse plugin
- How to install the Eclipse plugin for Symfony 2?
- How to write Eclipse plugin to hide logger statements
- How to write an Eclipse QuickFix for Multiple Problems in Java-Source Files
- How to zoom view in objectaid eclipse plugin for UML?
- How to install groovy plugin for eclipse without using the update site link
- How to write a hyperlink to an eclipse console from a plugin
- Is it possible to write plugin for eclipse other than Java, in Eclipse?
- How to install Pig plugin for Eclipse
- How can I write tests in one Eclipse project for classes from another Eclipse project?
- How to make an eclipse plugin for text comparison of two files
- How to package a library as an eclipse plugin for use by another plugin
- How do I change the syntax highlighting of feature files for Cucumber JVM Eclipse Plugin
- How to build an Eclipse plugin with Maven/Tycho for use in the "Install New Software" dialog
- Eclipse plugin for LESS: How to hide errors of CSS frameworks?
- How to create a jar file for the eclipse plugin project that should be able to download and run without eclipse software?
- How to activate features of EPIC Perl plugin for Eclipse
- How to setup the project & workspace for building Androlate; an Eclipse Plugin
- How to configure eclipse build path to develop an ant task ? Is there a plugin for ant tasks dev?
- how to install scala plugin for latest eclipse ide (version 2020-03)
More Query from same tag
- Changing View of Android Application instead of Emulator
- Polymer unexpected routing result home page
- Enum in Eclipse Scrapbook
- how to synchronize two Eclipse parts using Jface
- How to faster way of implementing interface?
- Getting the following error while doing pull and push operations (git-upload-pack not permitted on )
- 404 servlet not found error in eclipse IDE
- Error after update to STS 3.6.4.RELEASE
- Launch failed. Binary not found. MinGW
- SVN integration for Flash Builder 4 NOT Subclipse
- Android ImageSwitcher OutOfMemoryError
- Android: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException
- what's the question mark on this file means "twitter4j"
- Wrap multiline String for Junit Testing
- Android projects no longer run
- Eclipse Git self signed certificate error
- In Eclipse Oracle Weblogic Server does not appear int the New Server window
- Why does writing code in onCreate() crash my android program, but the same code works when in onCreateOptionsMenu()?
- java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError maven + eclipse
- Setting build path in eclipse java
- How to add a WEB-INF folder to a git repository [ECLIPSE]
- Eclipse Luna + Jboss Tools = Heap space error while editing HTML or JS
- Eclipse e4. How I can get selected menu item reference?
- Phases/Plugins and Maven Project Builder
- Eclipse problem - file stayed opened in editor causes problematic eclipse startup
- exporting a java project to a server using eclipse
- cucumber-java and cucumber-junit after version 1.0.14 does not work
- Eclipse loves it, javac hates it, it's an enum, sort of, with an interface
- How to use relative path of file in eclipse plugin project?
- Writting special characters to console in C++ on OSX