Forgive me for invoking old problem. But it is like legendary, always happen for new users. The reason I am here is I want to purpose different answer. Rather simple. Please fo to windows->preference->Runtime Environment->search and select the folder where you download the server. It will automatically detect the server and you are good to go.
I'm guessing that you are running Eclipse Mars, or an even earlier release. You need to upgrade to Eclipse Neon or later
Navigate to /apache-tomcat-8.5.65/lib/org/apache/catalina/util/ServerInfo.properties Then change server.info=Apache Tomcat/8.5.65 server.number=18.104.22.168 server.built=Jul 6 2021 00:29:43 UTC server.info=Apache Tomcat/22.214.171.124.4 server.number=126.96.36.199 server.built=Jul 6 2016 08:43:30 UTC
Go to the preview version of tomcat e.g. : tomcat 8.3 and copy catalina.jar file and paste into the existing tomcat which you have facing the issue
Install the latest version of eclipse(). It would have the option to add Tomcat 8.5.
I had similar issues with Eclipse Kepler v3.8 I had tomcat v8.5.37 installed. I couldn't see Apache v8.5 as an option. By skimming through StackOverflow I found Apache v9.0 is available on Eclipse Neon. Cool thing is you don't have to change your eclipse version. In your current Eclipse. Download WTP(Web Tools Package) by following the steps:
Step 1: Help >>> Install New Software. Copy this link in the Work with: http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/repository/neon
Step 2: Select JST Server Adapters and JST Server Adapters Extensions from the first package you see. Install those.
Step 3: Windows >>> Preferences >>> Server >>> Runtime Environments >>> Add..
You'll see Apache v9.0 there! It works!
This workaround worked for me. I edited the serverInfo.properties file as given below:
server.info=Apache Tomcat/8.0.0 server.number=188.8.131.52 server.built=Oct 6 2016 20:15:31 UTC
As for now Eclipse Neon service release is available. So if someone is still encounters this trouble, just go to
Help → Check for Updates
and install provided updates related to : org.eclipse.jst
For Tomcat 8.5.x users
You've to change the
ServerInfo.properties file of Tomcat's
ServerInfo.properties file contains the following code
server.info=Apache Tomcat/8.5.4 server.number=184.108.40.206 server.built=Jul 6 2016 08:43:30 UTC
Just open the
ServerInfo.properties file by opening the
catalina.jar with winrar from your Tomcat's lib folder
ServerInfo.properties file location in
shutdown the Tomcat server(if it's already opened by cmd) before doing these things otherwise your file doesn't change and your winrar shows error.
Then change the following code in
server.info=Apache Tomcat/220.127.116.11.4 server.number=18.104.22.168 server.built=Jul 6 2016 08:43:30 UTC
Restart your eclipse(if opened). Now it'll work...
There is a patch for Eclipse:
Download this patch and put it to the plugins directory of your Eclipse installation. It will replace the default "org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core_1.1.800.v201602282129.jar".
After you add this patch you must choose "Apache Tomcat v9.0" when adding a server runtime environment in the Eclipse (Preferences > Server > Runtime Environments).
I.e. this patch allows you to select either Tomcat version 9.x or Tomcat version 8.5.x when adding Apache Tomcat v.9.0 runtime environment.
More details on can be found on the related bug report page: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=494936
You have to patch
catalina.jar, as this is version number the WTP adapter looks at. It's a quite useless check, and the adapter should allow you to start the server anyway, but nobody has though of that yet.
For years and with every version of Tomcat this is always a problem.
To patch you can do the following:
cd [tomcat or tomee home]/lib
Make sure it looks like the following (the version numbers all need to start with 8.0):
server.info=Apache Tomcat/8.0.0 server.number=8.0.0 server.built=May 11 2016 21:49:07 UTC
jar uf ../catalina.jar org/apache/catalina/util/ServerInfo.properties
rm -rf catalina
- How to use Tomcat 8.5.x and TomEE 7.x with Eclipse?
- How to update Pandas from Anaconda and is it possible to use eclipse with this last
- How do I use Eclipse Refactoring Tools and stay in sync with SVN through Subclipse?
- How to use Tomcat with maven correctly in Eclipse
- How to use scope "test" and junit correctly with maven and eclipse
- How can use mingw-w64 and MSYS2 with any IDE like eclipse or codeblocks?
- How to use default values with Lombok and Eclipse save actions
- How to use proguard with Eclipse and Debug mode?
- How to make eclipse tomcat use ant script to create a war and then deploy it
- How to use TortoiseSVN and Subversive Eclipse plugin with same files in filesystem?
- How to create a DLL and use it with Eclipse for C
- How do I create a new eclipse project for jetty from a tomcat based project and versioned with svn/subclipse?
- How to integrate apache solr with eclipse and Apache tomcat
- How to use "R Graph Builder" and "R Graphics" view with StatEt Eclipse Plugin?
- how to use Tomcat as Eclipse Server with Maven test scope
- How to use karel.jar in eclipse without installing the Stanford version of eclipse and with JRE7?
- How to use the eclipse Hibernate Tools with grails and MySQL
- Eclipse and SubClipse: How to deploy my own package with svn to a TomCat server?
- how to understand and use spring fuse with eclipse IDE?
- How to start, debug and build Java Web Project in Eclipse with Maven and Tomcat
- What versions of eclipse and apache tomcat should I use with jdk-6u30?
- How to insert and retrieve data from database with Web Service in java using JAX - RS and tomcat in eclipse
- How to use robot framework with python in eclipse and How to run the Robot framework tests in eclipse using python interpreters?
- How to Implement EJB with Web Application in Java With Eclipse IDE and Tomcat Server
- How to install AdoptOpenJDK 8 and 11 parallel to Oracle JDK 8 and use both with Eclipse
- What causes imported Maven project in Eclipse to use Java 1.5 instead of Java 1.6 by default and how can I ensure it doesn't?
- Eclipse "Server Locations" section disabled and need to change to use Tomcat installation
- How to install JRE 1.7 on Mac OS X and use it with Eclipse?
- difference between clean and clean working directory in Eclipse WTP with Tomcat
- How to use Gradle to generate Eclipse and Intellij project files for Android projects
More Query from same tag
- Subclipse and JavaHL installation headache
- How to integrate log4j 1.2 completely into a maven build
- ServerSocket in Java hangs thread, unlocks on placing a break point?
- switching to time edit mode of digital watch in statechart diagram in eclipse
- How to capture all Network traffics(http\https) of a Web Application using Java in Eclipse IDE?
- Eclipse does not Display Swing Components Correctly
- Selenium Chromedriver timeout issue in Java project
- During input of password from user on the console, display asterisk(*) sign instead of plain text
- Generic error 1084 after changing flex sdk from 4.6 to 3.5
- Controlling a mobile phone to send a request
- Add new activity in eclipse android
- Not being able to edit java class in JAR
- Installing Pydev for Eclipse throws error
- Platform crashes if F7 (Step Return) used in eclipse
- Set font-size of a <div>-box to h2
- Eclipse strings auto closing
- egit plugin for Eclipse
- How to preserve selections in a JFace TableViewer when refreshing?
- How do I make this number guessing game restart once you guess the number right?
- How do you add com.android.nfc_extras.NfcAdapterExtras to Eclipse?
- eclipse java - crashing on linux
- Dynamic Web Project libraries
- import com.google.android.gms.maps cannot be resolved
- How to make use of Java's Graph Class?
- Setting Up Development Environment for Blender Project
- TeXlipse error while building workspace
- Call hierarchy from a certain function
- AdMob simple tutorial doesn't work
- Failed to locate resource: lwjgl32.dll
- Tools for querying collections in heap dump