add the update url to your available sites:
window > preferences > install/update > available software sites > add...
then tell eclipse to look for updates: help > check for updates.
after the installation, eclipse will restart and show the old splash screen. next time you manually stop/start eclipse it will correctly show the correct splash screen.
if previous releases are anything to go by, then the answer is no. it is best to download the new release, install it, install the latest versions your favourite plugins and point eclipse at your workspace.
(common sense says that you should take a backup of your workspace(s) and your original eclipse installation.)
i've previously tried the "upgrade" path and found that it was slow and didn't give good results.
you can simply download the newer version, then use "file -> import -> install -> from existing installation" to add all the plugins you had in your previous installation.
here's a link describing the whole process in details (it says "on mac os x", however it should work for other systems as well):
- How to upgrade Eclipse for Java EE Developers?
- How can I upgrade from Eclipse Java SE version to Eclipse for Java EE via Eclipse?
- How to configure opencv in Eclipse for Java developers with plugin CDT?
- How to add Glassfish 6.0 server in Eclipse IDE for Enterprise Java Developers 2020-12 version
- How to Configure My Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers to List All Possible Constructors in Intelligence
- How to turn off the Eclipse code formatter for certain sections of Java code?
- How to change font size in Eclipse for Java text editors?
- What is the difference between Eclipse for Java (EE) Developers and Eclipse Classic?
- How to simultaneously run all JUnit tests for a Eclipse Java project without Maven?
- How to add shortcut keys for java code in eclipse
- How to create the pom.xml for a Java project with Eclipse
- How do I Install JBoss AS / WildFly Server in Eclipse for Java EE
- How to filter call stack in Eclipse debug view for Java
- How can I get Eclipse to insert tabs instead of spaces for Java content assist?
- Disable HTML Warnings in Eclipse for Java EE developers edition
- How do I upgrade Eclipse Classic to Java EE?
- How can I add an Eclipse Quick Fix for a custom Java marker?
- How to use Eclipse for both Java and PHP?
- How to stop Eclipse from moving cursor for closing java parenthesis?
- How can I enable the Task List in Eclipse for a Java Project?
- How to use different line wrapping for strings and other items in Eclipse for Java
- How do I set the Java Doc for google drive api for android in Eclipse
- How to import Eclipse syntax highlighting profile in Netbeans for Java projects?
- Difference between Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers and Eclipse Juno
- How to install eclipse for java developer,c/c++ developer, php developer at the same time?
- Why does import javax.servlet.*; cannot be resolved despite of installing Java EE | Eclipse for Java EE Developers
- How to set up other-than-eclipse Java compiler for Eclipse IDE
- How do you get Eclipse to auto-generate a main method for a new Java class?
- How to look for annotations in eclipse java search
- How to set Code Formatter for Java Anonymous Methods in Eclipse
More Query from same tag
- Jar-File runs in console, but crahes when executed by batch-file
- How do I save Eclipse launch profiles across workspaces?
- Using Cereal to deserialize a JSON string
- Eclipse JDT core Java runtime error - java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
- Eclipse Plugin Development Using Git Information
- JOptionPane Descending Array Program Issues
- How to include Classpath jars in WEB-INF/lib Folder while creating a WarFile using Ant Build Script
- Eclipse : Maven - context menu does not display the option "Search dependency for..."
- eclipse plugin project do not build anymore
- EPartService findpart is null
- How to get Eclipse External tools setup for Monkeyrunner
- Checking in an Eclipse project into SVN
- maven project in eclipse keeps normal package structure
- android application using eclipse
- Creating Java Web application project from scratch using eclipse and tomcat?
- Setting targeted version of plugin to avoid NoSuchMethodException
- Activating the Spartan Refactoring plugin on a Java project
- Eclipse says my java is outdated, but it's not
- "new project wizard" source code in eclipse to be implemented as a part of plugin
- How to remove trailing whitespace in PyDev plugin for Eclipse
- Searching entire storage of phone and SD Card for Music Player
- How to make IntelliJ IDEA display colors for different occurrences in the side bars
- AI for Tic-Tac-Toe not working properly
- how to fix non-parseable pom error in maven pom.xml?
- Spring MVC Annotations
- Eclipse on High Sierra - white scrollbars for dark theme
- Tomcat reference missing from menu and preferences in eclipse
- The Type String is not visible
- Vertical scroll not working in Eclipse/PyDev
- JTextArea text invisible and no scroll