solved: if you want to "create project from existing source", you need to create a new directory and then put the project directory tree into that new directory. then point to the new directory when importing.
android project folder .project file was missing. restoring the
.project file,which will be hidden in
unix os environment resolved the error.
updating @jameswald's answer, and incorporating other comments. assuming you want to create a cfesh copy from, say, a backup in your new workspace:
- put the existing project in a directory not inside the destination workspace.
- in eclipse: file->import->android->existing android code into workspace, next
- select root directory: /path/to/project/from/step/1
- projects->select all (or not, as the case may be)
- make sure you set the new project name correctly - to change one click on the old project name (left column) and then click on the new project name (right column) and then edit. it will default to the class name of the default activity.
- assuming you want a copy in the destination workspace, check "copy projects into workspace"
- uncheck "add project to working sets"
same problem happened to me as well and the .project file was not there in the project. i copied a .project file from an existing android project and replace the project name with the name of the project i am trying to import. then using file -> import -> existing projects into workspace i was able to import the project.
what works for me is that: file > import > existing project into workspace (under general tab), then choose the project root folder. the importing of existing android code into workspace somehow does not work on eclipse for me.
this post helped me: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=8431
i had the problem of getting errors when checking out an android project from svn. this is what i did and the whole thing settled down.
1. checkout the project from svn as we normally do any other project
2. right click and get properties of the project
3. in the java build path->order and export tab select the android api and ok it
this removed all the project issues
so far so good but not sure if this is the 100% correct method
im not sure this will solve your problem since i dont know where it originats from, but when i import a project i go file -> import -> existing projects into workspace. maybe it will circumvent your problem.
you can also use make new > general > project, then import the project to that project directory
it seems you cannot have your project root, with the androidmanifest.xml deeper than one directory level below your workspace root. i struggled for an hour with this before i just gave up and rearranged my repo.
i found james wald's answer the closest to my solution, except instead of "file->import->general->existing projects into workspace" (which did not work for me at all) i used "file->import->android->existing android code into workspace". i am using helios, maybe your version of eclipse does not have this quirk.
just delete the ".project" file in your project folder (it's hidden on linux, use "ls -a" to show), then from eclipse, choose create android project from existing source
this error message appears when the source code you try to import is inside an existing workspace.
put your source code in a directory outside any existing workspace and then import
- file → import → general → existing projects into workspace → next
- select root directory:
- projects → select all
copy projects into workspaceand
add project to working sets
- How to import existing android project into the eclipse
- How to import an existing Android Library project into Eclipse workspace
- How to import an Android Library Project created on Android Studio into existing Eclipse Android App Project, as library?
- How to import existing Android project into Eclipse?
- How do you import an Eclipse project into Android Studio now?
- Android + Eclipse How to import Enhanced ListView project into mine?
- How do I import an existing android studio project to eclipse so that it is native and becomes a codename application?
- How to Import Project Made with Eclipse ADT into Android Studio?
- Empty folders when import existing Android project into Eclipse
- How to import Facebook SDK into my android eclipse project
- How to import existing Java Project into Dynamic Web Project in Eclipse
- How to make an existing directory into an eclipse project
- Import existing Gradle Git project into Eclipse
- Import an existing Git project into Eclipse without a .project file
- Can't import Android project into Eclipse - Finish button doesn't do anything
- How to import C makefile project into eclipse or put in under eclipse
- How do I import a pre-existing Java project into Eclipse and get up and running?
- Import an existing SVN project into Eclipse
- How do you compile an Android project into an .apk file in Eclipse without launching the emulator?
- How to import Android samples into an Eclipse IDE
- How to import eclipse library project from github to android studio project?
- Import Android Test Project into Eclipse from Version Control
- How to import a java project missing .project .settings .classpath files into eclipse
- How to import android studio project in eclipse which use library?
- Importing Existing Android Project into Eclipse
- Android AOSP project import into eclipse
- Importing Existing Android Project Into Eclipse Renames Project
- How to import one Eclipse project as a library into another?
- How to import class into existing Java project, with Eclipse
- How to import existing project into Workplace in Eclipse?
More Query from same tag
- Eclipse Won't Recognize BLU Dash 3.5 As An Active Android Device
- Eclipse content assist Remove hidden classes
- using the eclipse extension points in virgo
- How do I make a Composite selectable in Eclipse?
- Application Instead of running redirects itself into Debugging mode
- Running Eclipse on Mac with two users
- Want an eclipse java project to run ant build files automatically
- Missing "Run as JUnit Test"
- Eclipse and postgres JDBC connection
- Run .class & .jre with portable JRE
- Java GUI Interface
- Java: Eclipse does not recognize the source folder
- I want debugger to open java file instead of class (from depending library)
- i got error while creating a android project in eclipse 3.6.1
- java.lang.NullPointerException throws while using class.getClassLoader().getResourceAsStream
- Implementing admob for different activities
- How to remove this Exception "Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no jniopencv_objdetect in java.library.path"
- Android project-> MainAcitvity.java - R is an undefined variable
- Wordcount example hadoop
- Blackberry with Eclipse - How can I get rid of multiple Debug Servers?
- Stop output from looping
- Java-Server: Create and run Java socket server on Mac?
- Can't seem to use listview properly
- Can two two C++ projects refer each other?
- How can I count the number of rectangles with a minimal length?
- Instruments crashed on startup iPad Mini
- GWT: Reload Web Server Not Working
- Setting custom property in config.ini
- Eclipse:java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
- Less known but useful features in Eclipse