this issue has been fixed in m2e 1.5.0 which is available for eclipse kepler (4.3) and luna (4.4)
the problem is caused by the fact that sts (the spring ide/eclipse), as well eclipse and other eclipse based ide's, use the m2e(clipse) plugin but that eclipse:eclipse has been probably been run on the project. when m2e encounters a "var" .classpath entry, it throws this error.
the update sites are specified at the following url:
if you can't use m2e 1.5.0 for any reason, then :
disable the maven nature for the project (via the right-click menu)
mvn eclipse:clean(while your project is open in sts/eclipse). depending on the timing, you might need to do a refresh or two on the project before re-enabling the maven nature. you should be able to see that your project has lost it's maven nature. (the
eclipse:cleangoal just deletes the
.settings/files/directories. you can also just remove those files (again while the project is open) instead of running
re-enable the maven nature.
(most of the time, this can be done by right-clicking on the project in question in the package explorer pane, and then choosing 'configure'-> 'convert to maven project')
i tried marco's steps but no luck. instead if you just get the latest m2e plugin from the link he provides and one by one right click on each project -> maven -> update dependencies the error still pops up but the issue is resolved. that is to say the warnings disappear in the markers view. i encountered this issue after importing some projects into springsource tool suite (sts). when i returned to my eclipse juno installation the warnings were displaying. seeing that i had m2e 1.1 already installed i tried marco's steps to no avail. getting the latest version fixed it however.
i couldn't get mvn eclipse:clean etc to work with kepler.
however i changed creating and extending variables to just using external jars in my eclipse classpath. this was reflected in no var's in my .classpath.
this corrected the problem. i was able to do a maven update.
this issue (https://bugs.eclipse.org/394042) is fixed in m2e 1.5.0 which is available for eclipse kepler and luna from this p2 repo :
if you also use m2e-wtp, you'll need to install m2e-wtp 1.1.0 as well :
upgrading from kepler to luna worked for me.
i had just added some components for java 1.8 support. it seems that they where not as compatible as i would like or that i mixed the wrong ones. it really caused a lot of problems. trying to update the system reported errors as they couldn't fulfill some dependencies. maven upgrades didn't work. tried a lot of things.
so, if there is no reason to avoid the upgrade just add the luna repository to avalilable software sites (luna http://download.eclipse.org/releases/luna/ ) and "check for updates". it is better to have all the components with the same version and there are some nice new features.
i tried all the steps mentioned here and on similar questions but couldn't solve this problem. i could neither solve problem nor update my m2eclipse. so i installed eclipse luna and it solved my problem... though it mean that i had to spend about 45 min to configure all the environment in my workspace.
try mvn clean install eclipse:eclipse -dwtpversion=2.0 command on dos command prompt. suggesting you because , it worked for me!!
i'm using eclipse 4.3.2 (kepler) with m2e 1.4.x and felt over this problem several times!
in my case the "mvn eclipse:eclipse" command also generates checkstyle, pmd and findbugs configuration so "mvn eclipse:clean" does not help me because it drops all those config files again.
the best solution for me was to delete all ".classpath" files:
find . -name ".classpath" -delete
and import the project into eclipse afterwards.
before importing the project, it should be converted into eclipse project mvn eclipse: eclipse then i found the following error. an internal error occurred during: "importing maven projects".unsupported iclasspathentry kind=4
where is the value kind = "var" that m2e does not recognize and therefore throws the error.
now type this. mvn eclipse: clean
now refresh the project in eclipse or re-import.
this error is also thrown if the update command is used on a project instrumented for code coverage with clover.
to resolve in this scenario: un-instrument the project folders you wish to update. run the maven update then instrument for code coverage again.
seeing all other answers. i found for me a simpler way.
i just removed all lines in the .classpath (editing with eclipse) containing a var and used maven -> update project without an error.
have you tried:
- if you have import project into the eclipse 4, please delete it.
- in maven consol, run: mvn eclipse:clean
- in eclipse 4: file -> import -> maven -> existing maven projects
make sure that the version of the m2e(clipse) plugin that you're running is at least 1.1.0
close maven project - right click "close project"
- manualy remove all classpathentry with kind="var" in .classpath file
- open project
- remove maven project
- manualy rmeove .classpath 4 reimport project
sometimes, even re-importing the maven project will not work. updating the project correctly in eclipse is not a deterministic process. the only 100% fail safe procedure i've found is:
- disable maven nature, run
mvn eclipse:clean, restart, cross your fingers and pray 3 times.
- if this won't work, delete the project, run
mvn eclipse:clean, re-import refresh, pray and use the force.
- if this still doesn't work, restart eclipse, or even better your computer. while waiting for the reboot, you can make a random donation to fix your karma. repeat step 2 and don't forget to pray and control your anger. anger leads to hate. hate leads to suffering.
- try all the other answers posted in this thread. you might need to try them all for 3 times at least before giving up.
- format your computer, re-install eclipse and maven. no need to pray anymore, all gods hate you anyway
- delete your git project, burn the physical drive that stored the remote repository, and write your project from scratch.
- find a time machine, travel to the past and convince yourself to follow another, non-programming career or at least to avoid java
right-click on your project, select maven -> remove maven nature.
open you terminal, go to your project folder and do
right click on your project and select “configure -> convert into maven project”
now you got “unsupported iclasspathentry kind=4 eclipse scala” disappear.
- How to fix error "Updating Maven Project". Unsupported IClasspathEntry kind=4?
- How to fix internal error updating maven project for PMD
- Eclipse - Importing an existing Maven project gives Unsupported IClasspathEntry kind=4 Error
- How to fix 'No plugin found for prefix 'archetype' error when creating a maven project
- How to resolve Unsupported major.minor version 51.0 error when trying to run Maven project Java
- How to fix error creating bean with name error in maven project
- An internal error occurred during: "Updating Maven Project". Unsupported IClasspathEntry kind=4
- how to fix built path error in eclipse while creating a project in new workspace
- how to fix non-parseable pom error in maven pom.xml?
- How to fix Eclipse Maven Package Error injecting constructor, java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
- How can I fix "path for project must have only one segment" error when creating a new GWT project in eclipse?
- How to fix Error in Maven build for new spring boot application intialized from start.spring.io
- Error Updating Maven Project under eclipse
- I am getting maven dependency problems in a fresh project generated from start.spring.io. How can I fix this?
- How to link compile error to java source in eclipse ide running a maven project
- How to fix this Maven error in eclipse - "Could not calculate build plan: Plugin or one of its dependencies cannot be resolved""
- How to fix : http://URL: not authorized error in eclipse while cloning project from GIT?
- How do I fix Eclipse project where maven dependencies are listed right under project but also under 'Maven Dependencies' folder?
- How to remove Java Resources error in Eclipse maven project inspite of being every java files/jsp files/xml files are correct with no errors?
- Error in Updating Maven - Spring MVC project
- How to fix the error when occurred Installing updates of maven to eclipse
- What causes imported Maven project in Eclipse to use Java 1.5 instead of Java 1.6 by default and how can I ensure it doesn't?
- How to fix Subversion lock error
- How to fix Eclipse validation error "No grammar constraints detected for the document"?
- An internal error occurred during: "Updating Maven Project
- How to run a Maven Project In Tomcat From Eclipse
- How to fix "Missing Gradle project configuration file" issue in Buildship?
- How to exclude some maven project from sonar analysis
- How to run a Maven project from Eclipse?
- How I run maven project in cmd line
More Query from same tag
- "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException error on MySQL JDBC java project
- Provider org.glassfish.json.JsonProviderImpl not found at javax.json.spi.JsonProvider.provider(JsonProvider.java:97)
- PHP Eclipse with Git - [git NO-HEAD ]
- This code is not drawing the die that its supposed too..any tips? (Java, see both classes)
- Automatically clearing LogCat on each Eclipse Debug/Run?
- Generating code for converting between classes
- JAVA For Loop running out of memory when running though image files
- Get Internal Available Storage in Device
- How eclipse understand file changes in file system?
- What is the difference between Maven build and Maven build... in Eclipse?
- Apache Tomcat in Eclipse with a proxied network
- Loading multiple xmi files with EMF
- Eclipse project and Maven pom file not in same directory
- How can I debug after certain processing is done-Java
- Eclipse Installation error: INSTALL_FAILED_UID_CHANGED
- this script must be run from the base directory of your working copy
- Android device not showing up in ADB, tried all other solutions on stack overflow
- HTTP Status 404 - hello world wicket
- Strange maven behavior when adding class to project
- How do I properly size in relative layout so my content isn't stretching on larger devices?
- Same workspace with eclipse
- Android multidex support library using eclipse
- Android: Logcat error where onKeyListener in casted
- Eclipse PDE: How to programmatically detect the auto-build process
- pylint "unresolved variable from import" module level variables referenced to function
- Adding Zeromq to an existing Java Gradle project from Github
- how to upload image in base64 on server
- m2e-wtp Overlay not loading into Eclipse-published EAR or WAR files
- Node.js Undefined CSS file