You can remove "JavaAppletPlugin.plugin" found in Spotlight or Finder, then re-install downloaded Java 8.
This will simply solve your problem.
As mentioned in the offical Oracle Documentation there are two relevant paths you need to delete in case you wan't to remove a Java installation.
Path 1 is the JRE - installation path:
Path 2 is the JDK - installation path:
Change directory via Terminal to the Path 1.
cd /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/
sudo rm -rf JavaAppletPlugin.plugin
Do the Steps under JRE Steps
Change directory via Terminal to the Path 2.
Take a look at all installations at this folder
Remove any installations in this folder.
sudo rm -rf /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-(...).jdk
After uninstalling you are ready to go for a fresh installation. Just download you're version of choice and install it.
The simplest solution might be to install Java 8 in parallel to Java 9 (if not still still existant) and specify the JVM to be used explicitly in
eclipse.ini. You can find a description of this setting including a description how to find
eclipse.ini on a Mac at Eclipsepedia
Old question but just had that problem /dumb jira having problems with java 10/ and didn't find a simple answer here so just gonna leave it:
$ /usr/libexec/java_home -V shows the versions installed and their locations so you can simply remove
As it allows to install more than one version of java, I had install many 3 versions unknowingly but it was point to latest version "11.0.2"
I could able to solve this issue with below steps to move to "1.8"
openjdk version "11.0.2" 2019-01-15 OpenJDK Runtime Environment 18.9 (build 11.0.2+9) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 18.9 (build 11.0.2+9, mixed mode)
cd /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines ls
jdk1.8.0_201.jdk jdk1.8.0_202.jdk openjdk-11.0.2.jdk
sudo rm -rf openjdk-11.0.2.jdk sudo rm -rf jdk1.8.0_201.jdk ls
java version "1.8.0_202-ea" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_202-ea-b03) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.202-b03, mixed mode)
If you have multiple Java versions installed on your Mac, here's a quick way to switch the default version using Terminal. In this example, I am going to switch Java 10 to Java 8.
$ java -version java version "10.0.1" 2018-04-17 Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 18.3 (build 10.0.1+10) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 18.3 (build 10.0.1+10, mixed mode) $ /usr/libexec/java_home -V Matching Java Virtual Machines (2): 10.0.1, x86_64: "Java SE 10.0.1" /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-10.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home 1.8.0_171, x86_64: "Java SE 8" /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_171.jdk/Contents/Home /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-10.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home
Then, in your .bash_profile add the following.
# Java 8 export JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_171.jdk/Contents/Home
Now if you try java -version again, you should see the version you want.
$ java -version java version "1.8.0_171" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_171-b11) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.171-b11, mixed mode)
This is how I did it. You don't need to delete Java 9 or newer version.
Step 1: Install Java 8
You can download Java 8 from here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
Step 2: After installation of Java 8. Confirm installation of all versions.Type the following command in your terminal.
Step 3: Edit .bash_profile
sudo nano ~/.bash_profile
Step 4: Add 1.8 as default. (Add below line to bash_profile file).
export JAVA_HOME=$(/usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.8)
Now Press CTRL+X to exit the bash. Press 'Y' to save changes.
Step 5: Reload bash_profile
Step 6: Confirm current version of Java
You don't need to down grade. You can run more than one version of Java on MacOS. You can set the version of your terminal with this command in MacOS.
# List Java versions installed /usr/libexec/java_home -V # Java 11 export JAVA_HOME=$(/usr/libexec/java_home -v 11) # Java 1.8 export JAVA_HOME=$(/usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.8) # Java 1.7 export JAVA_HOME=$(/usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.7) # Java 1.6 export JAVA_HOME=$(/usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.6)
You can set the default value in the .bashrc, .profile, or .zprofile
- How to downgrade Java from 9 to 8 on a MACOS. Eclipse is not running with Java 9
- How to resolve "You are not running your eclipse instance with java 8" for JavaFX in Eclipse Mars 2.0
- How to launch eclipse from a command line on MacOS with a workspace pathname
- How to deal with 'Incompatible Java Versions running 0' in Eclipse Window Builder?
- Running java from within the console in eclipse with maven
- How to export java project from eclipse into a jar file with images
- Compile errors with Maven but not in Eclipse after upgrade from java 1.7 to 1.8
- MacOS Eclipse IDE running applications with older Java version
- Running Java builds with packages defined from Eclipse
- Running java with arguments from file in Eclipse
- How to read from a file not in Eclipse in Java
- How to run a java class in Eclipse (part of a maven project with a pom file) from cmd
- Argument does not begin with '--' error while executing Apache Beam WordCount example from Eclipse in java
- exported runnable jar doesn't contain dependency jars from eclipse 2018-12 with java 11. How do we solve this?
- Java Eclipse - Output when running from command prompt is not the same as through IDE
- how to work with maven under eclipse ("This compilation unit is not on the build path of a java project")
- Can not Running Selenium with Eclipse with Java and BDD using Chrome or Firefox
- Can not open file with special charecters from Java when using Eclipse on MacOSX
- Running appium with command line from eclipse : Could not initialize ideviceinstaller
- How to insert and retrieve data from database with Web Service in java using JAX - RS and tomcat in eclipse
- Jar file with packaged images exported from Eclipse not running
- How can I compile a Java program in Eclipse without running it?
- How to run Eclipse with different Java version?
- How to get Java Decompiler / JD / JD-Eclipse running in Eclipse Helios
- How to create the pom.xml for a Java project with Eclipse
- How to update Pandas from Anaconda and is it possible to use eclipse with this last
- Invoking Java main method with parameters from Eclipse
- How to Create Flowchart from java source code in Eclipse
- How to deploy Java web application project from Eclipse to live Tomcat server?
- How can I use the java Eclipse Abstract Syntax Tree in a project outside Eclipse? (ie not an eclipse plugin)
More Query from same tag
- ErrorListener missing when using maven-jaxb-plugin with eclipse and m2e
- Print Arabic,Urdu and Hebrew in Eclipse
- java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError even add dependencies in build.gradle
- How to start derby server from within my java application
- Android VM crashes on Launch Mac
- Connect project via local maven (in Eclipse)
- how to run eclipse android emulator via visual studio
- Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.objectweb.asm.ClassWriter.<init>
- Eclipse Java Conditional Watchpoint
- Eclipse screwed with open "initializing connections and drivers" process after playing with JPA facet / all data source explorer connections gone :-(
- add resources to eclipse project / plugin
- How can I export or save a inspected object structure in eclipse?
- how to run a web service maven project on jetty 8 from eclipse?
- Generate index information for a runnable jar?
- No projects found to import
- How to open a Java project in Eclipse design view?
- Can I tell Mylyn's context to be inclusive by default?
- eclipse ResolutionException: Modules A and B export package P to module C
- How do i remove m2eclipse from my eclipse installation?
- VisualSVN Server and Eclipse new repository setup
- Error while installing eclipse(eclipse-jee-helios-linux-gtk-x86_64) in ubuntu
- Java - having to test many inputs manually
- Layout XML View IDs and R problems
- Aptana Studio 3 - whole workspace disappeared
- Re-download my app from google play dashboard
- Download plug-ins as defined in the target definition file?
- Ordering and Sorting Libraries in Java Eclipse
- How to prevent Eclipse+Tomcat from running current class instead of project (Vaadin)
- BPMN Diagram with 3-output Exclusive Gateway not working in Camunda