i've had a lot of problems trying to get eclipse to accept as much memory as i'd like it to be able to use (between 2 and 4 gigs for example).
eclipse.ini in the eclipse installation directory.
you should be able to change the memory sizes after
up to 1024 without a problem up to some maximum value that's dependent on your system. here's that section on my linux box:
and here's that section on my windows box:
but, i've failed at setting it higher than 1024 megs. if anybody knows how to make that work, i'd love to know.
edit: 32bit version of juno seems to not accept more than xmx1024m where the 64 bit version accept 2048.
edit: nick's post contains some great links that explain two different things:
- the problem is largely dependent on your system and the amount of contiguous free memory available, and
- by using javaw.exe (on windows), you may be able to get a larger allocated block of memory.
i have 8 gigs of ram and can't set
-xmx to more than 1024 megs of ram, even when a minimal amount of programs are loaded and both windows/linux report between 4 and 5 gigs of free ram.
while working on an enterprise project in sts (heavily eclipse based) i was crashing constantly and sts plateaued at around 1gb of ram usage. i couldn't add new .war files to my local tomcat server and after deleting the tomcat folder to re-add it, found i couldn't re-add it either. essentially almost anything that required a new popup besides the main menus was causing sts to freeze up.
i edited the sts.ini (your eclipse.ini can be configured similarly) to:
--launcher.xxmaxpermsize 1024m -vmargs -xms1536m -xmx2048m -xx:maxpermsize=1024m
rebooted sts immediately and saw it plateau at about 1.5 gigs before finally not crashing
configuring this worked for me: -vmargs -xms1536m -xmx2048m -xx:maxpermsize=1024m on eclipse java photon june 2018
running windows 10, 8 gb ram and 64 bit. you can extend -xmx2048 -xx:maxpermsize= 1024m to 4096m too, if your computer has good ram.mine worked well.
you can copy this to your
eclipse.ini file to have 1024m:
i don't think you need to change the maxpermsize to 1024m. this works for me:
care and feeding of eclipse's memory hunger is a pain...
more or less, keep trying smaller amounts til it works, that's your max.
here is how i increased the memory allocation of eclipse juno:
i have a total of 4gb on my system and when im working on eclipse, i dont run any other heavy softwares along side it. so i allocated 2gb.
the thing i noticed is that the difference between min and max values should be of 512. the next value should be let say 2048 min + 512 = 2560max
here is the heap value inside eclipse after setting
- How can I give eclipse more memory than 512M?
- How can I launch more than one debug session in Eclipse from a single click?
- c++: how do i get eclipse give me more info than "Syntax Error"
- Unable to give more than 1GB of heap memory in eclipse
- How can I reduce Eclipse Ganymede's memory use?
- How can I fix this version of the rendering library is more recent than your version of ADT plug-in in eclipse?
- How Can I Tell Eclipse to Compile and Build a Project with a Different JRE Version than it Normally Does?
- How can I know how much memory Eclipse plugins use (separately)
- How can I make the Eclipse Python debugger more reliable?
- How can I have more than one project inside IntelliJ IDEA?
- How can I use Eclipse in a more efficient way
- How can I use Eclipse Memory Analyzer Tool to dump the heap from a running process?
- How can I make Eclipse provide more help with Hivemind configuration files?
- How to make replacements in Eclipse for multiple class files where number of lines are more than 25?
- how can i fix this? this item is unreachable because a previous item (item #1) is a more general match than this one
- Can not launch more than one MIDlet in eclipse error?
- How to solve error "This version of the rendering library is more recent than your version of ADT plug-in. Please update ADT plug-in" in Eclipse Mars?
- How can I export more than one file with the same name in a jar?
- How can I get Eclipse on Linux to look more like on Windows?
- How can I make eclipse to give me a code that I made as a sample code?
- How i can put more information in the view? Eclipse
- Can we give more than one nameFilter criteria in enabling popup in eclipse?
- How can I get Eclipse to show .* files?
- What causes imported Maven project in Eclipse to use Java 1.5 instead of Java 1.6 by default and how can I ensure it doesn't?
- How do I configure the proxy settings so that Eclipse can download new plugins?
- How to search for occurrences of more than one space between words in a line
- How can I change Eclipse theme?
- How can I compile a Java program in Eclipse without running it?
- How can I exclude some folders from my Eclipse project?
- How can Eclipse create a class with unresolved compilation problems?
More Query from same tag
- Can't implement solicit-response WSDL operation in Eclipse
- java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Message using maven and eclipse
- Eclipse JUnit testing of outer and nested class tests, @RunWith(Enclosed.class)
- git cannot detect new files in android project
- JBOSS Eclipse Integration
- Chunk of code not working in Android Studio but works perfectly in Eclipse?
- Maven build - dependancy on core classes
- Executing a MATLAB script from Java gives EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error
- git merge question: how to accept your version of a file?
- Missing cxf jar: Please select the cxf home directory
- Setting up Spring and Tomcat in eclipse?
- Unable to use classes from unnamed modules after creating module-info.java
- Eclipse Run-->Breakpoint Types-->None Available
- pre verfying error while compiling J2me project
- Debugging with eclipse and xdebug won't go past the first line
- Show deprecated warnings for methods of same class
- Multiple Videos in One Activity
- Does veracode plugin have full scan capability in offline mode
- Eclipse galileo project validation error causing exit workspace?
- Does SWT.MOZILLA browser widget have SVG support?
- Struts 2 basic web application 404 error
- facing issue with GWT designer mode
- Use Junit or TestNG with the windows shell
- Hide unresolved import error
- Do I need to rebuild the whole project everytime I start Tomcat server?
- After R.java regeneration, many fields not recognized
- Android NDK build, Method could not be resolved
- Is it possible to pause a running java application, fix the issues, recompile it and then run it from the spot that it was paused?
- Use JAR file containing only Java source files on Eclipse