it sounds like you have accidentally switched from smart insert mode to insert mode.
press ctrl + shift + insert or tick smart insert mode on the edit menu to switch back.
smart insert is the feature that automatically insert closing quotes and brackets when you type the opener and places semi-colons at the end of the line when you press semi-colon (if you have the preference for that enabled.)
i've encountered this symptom in eclipse 3.7 before. and after i restarted machine, it disappeared.
if your cursor symbol is " + " then press alt+shift+a. or else we can use edit menu options ==> toggle block selections
if you are using spring tool suite then you can double click on highlighted smart insert . some keyboards do not have
@jeremy by saying " i have a vertical line with a gap in the middle of it, like the character above the forward slash " i guess you are referring to the ' pipeline 'symbol, the one you use to denote' or ' in programming languages. as people already answered, you are in raw insert mode (as opposed to smart mode) so try edit->smart insert mode (ctrl+shift+insert by default). for more info you can visit this thread http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/53833/
and remember, the symbol is called 'pipe' symbol or 'pipeline' symbol.
i also had same problem, you can fix this by pressing just insert button on keyboard (on windows platform) also.
it worked for me.
or you can restart your eclipse.
on my windows computer i press shift + 0 but the zero has to be on the numeric keypad not the top row numbers.
shift + 0 toggle my cursor.
toggle vrapper icon in toolbar..
that may causes some issues like these. because i'm also faced the same issue until today.
please refer the below images to get clear idea about this.
make sure that it is in disable mode in status bar
if nothing works, restart eclipse. that is what i did !
maybe you pressed the insert key, which will change the eclipse editor to
overwrite rather than
smart insert (see the info bar at the bottom of the editor), and will change the cursor to a block rather than a vertical line?
update: thanks for clarification - see mikej's answer which is correct. i'll leave this answer in case anyone has the similar, related problem that i describe.
- Eclipse text cursor has changed and editor behaves differently
- ADT eclipse xml layout text editor - often broken until file closed and reopened
- SWT Browser in eclipse plugin behaves differently in Mac and Windows
- Why ThreadPoolExecutor behaves differently when running Java program in Eclipse and from command line?
- How do I pass the current Eclipse text editor cursor location to an external tool?
- Custom ISaveHandler and IWindowCloseHandler for Eclipse e4 text editor app
- Eclipse RCP text editor selection changed
- eclipse drag and drop on text editor
- Different result between eclipse and text editor
- Multiple cursor markers in Eclipse text editor
- Custom Android build script in eclipse that behaves differently for release and debug without ant
- Eclipse Text editor get cursor location
- Eclipse editor automatically deletes and restructures lines of text
- Eclipse PyDev the outline view has a filter text box only and I can't get the outline back
- The cursor focus stays on the Editor and does not switch to Console when I try to get the an input from the user in Eclipse
- eclipse has bugs with showing code complementation and the cursor
- Changing font and colour of text in Eclipse text editor
- Eclipse will not start and I haven't changed anything
- Error "A JNI error has occurred. Please check your installation and try again in Eclipse x86 Windows 8.1"
- How to navigate to the last cursor position in Eclipse if it is in the same file and was not edited?
- Bold black cursor in Eclipse deletes code, and I don't know how to get rid of it
- Eclipse EGit with dark background, still has black text
- Eclipse SQL Editor normal text color
- Using Dark Eclipse Color Theme and Comparison Editor
- Eclipse and Android SDK issue "aapt.exe has stopped"
- How to hide comments and javadoc text in editor view?
- Open sublime text editor into eclipse
- Editor in eclipse has vanished
- Is it possible in Eclipse to highlight a statement, and then press quotes/etc.. to "wrap" the highlighted text in the character (like in SublimeText)?
- Eclipse is opening all files in another text editor
More Query from same tag
- Android AOSP project import into eclipse
- Convert beam pro API on GitHub to jar file
- Using SWT in Gradle could not resolve all dependencies
- Error installing ADT 22.3 offline
- implement push notification in android app
- How can I force sublclipse to commit?
- ant to maven migration maven - jar building
- Some questions about rename a package which is in the gen folder for Android project
- LibGDX 'MyFirstTriangle' example crashes on startup
- Disable Console Logging from MongoDB in Eclipse
- Ant script fails to find javac compiler
- Unable to see Glassfish logs in eclipse console
- Plugin Development, where to save user data?
- Eclipse SVN connection timeout
- Setting up eclipse on ubuntu
- How to write eclipse rcp applications with scala?
- Button alignment is gone when app is displayed Horizontally
- How to add builder (ant script) with Eclipse project template plugin?
- java.util.ServiceConfigurationError: com.sun.tools.xjc.Plugin:Provider org.eclipse.persistence.jaxb.plugins.BeanValidationPlugin not a subtype
- Collision and deflection between two balls
- How to view filesystem in Eclipse PDT
- can't start eclipse for PHP 21-12
- Java NoClassDefFoundError with Google App Engine Project Reference
- Strange behavior of ECLEmma Code Coverage Tool in eclipse
- Java AppEngine Backend Testing on local machine
- Why does this incorrect "package" tag in MyBatis XML config work?
- Eclipse Ganymede - Integeration with Tomcat 6 (without the whole WTP)
- Gradle test tasks with webcontext fails to use entities
- R-class not created
- Hamcrest & JUnit & Eclipse: Error messages wrong way round