the error message points to a problem with your java version. do you have a jdk installed?
try adding the following (noting the new line):
/!\ make sure, that the
-vmoption occurs before the
-vmargscommand. everything after
-vmargsis passed directly to the jvm.
eclipse.ini file, pointing to the jdk you want to use, and check that the required java version is at least as new as your jdk. this is the path for a windows system. more on paths can be found here (scroll down).
if you don't know where the
eclipse.ini file is: regularly it is in the folder of your
edit2: @kadolakatt: the reason why installing the latest java version worked for you is because eclipse checks the standard path for a jvm if it doesn't find a
-vm entry (see here). however i'd not recommend that, since you might be wrong guessing the jvm used. if you update java (automatically?) you might run into problems in your eclipse wondering what you might have changed. better set it to a specific folder in your
eclipse.ini to be certain.
if it says c:/program files/java/jre/bin/server/jvm.dll not found then copy the jre from jdk folder and paste it outside the jdk folder . and then try again...
just to add here...
for the guys those who still couldn't start eclipse due same error, please check eclipse.ini file again and see have you forgot to put
m after memory size.
are incorrect, it should be
-xmx1024m. i have been trying different ideas from sof and from other forums, and in this cut/paste i forgot that i missed
m (such a little thing to miss), so i thought i should share. if it works for some of you please up-vote.
i had this issue recently, but i hadn't changed any java or updated the java version, may be this issue happened because of crash shutdown of the system.
and after reading a couple of answers here i decided to change the java version from 1.6 to 1.7 in the eclipse.ini file.
after this change the eclipse started well and it worked. since i didnt had changed anything i decided to change it back to 1.6 to what it was originally.
then i started eclipse and guess what it worked. so looks like in my case just touching/modifiying the eclipse.ini file worked.
i hope this answer is helpful to somebody.
if none of the solutions works, please check if you have more than one version of java installed on your machine. please keep only one version which you prefer and everything should work fine.
none of the above answers helped for me. i discovered that, in general, an error like that could mean that your eclipse.ini has an invalid entry. so, all the above answers could be correct, depending on your particular case. in my case, it turned out i added a locale argument with a typo in it.
i tried to change the path in the parameter -vm, but it did not help. then i deleted the parameter -vm and -vmargs from the eclipse.ini. it worked for me
please check your computer and if java jre not install download and install it.
if install please check is it 32 bit or 64 bit as per your operating system
to check for 32 or 64-bit jvm, run:
$ java -d64 -version
$ java -d32 -version
error: this java instance does not support a x-bit jvm. please install the desired version.
my path of -javaagent argument was having spacial characters like '&'. i placed the lambok jar in different place and gave the path to that place. it worked for me.
previously it was
-javaagent:c:\software & tool\lambok.jar
i changed it to
open the eclipse installation folder on windows machine
find the eclipse.ini
open the eclipse.ini file and add the below two lines before -vmargs
this work for me in eclipse js and eclipse php:
i had a similar issue. i opened my eclipse.ini file and noticed that i configured at the end some lines for the lombok library in the past. the path to my lombok jar file was no more valid. after correcting it, my eclipse was working like a charm again. in conclusion, my piece of advice would be to verify that all the paths configured in this file are valid.
java path could be incorrect
trying above solution didn't help me. so i checked java --version on command prompt, which gave virtualization conflict. it seemed installation of virtualization software on system had messed up environment variables.
hence i checked java_home which was on correct path, then checked system variable path which had correct java bin path as well, so removed 'c:\program files (x86)\common files\oracle\java\javapath' and checked java --version on command prompt again, which gave correct value and also fixed above issue of eclipse start.
on windows 10, removing
from the eclipse.ini fixed the issue for me
besides, according to https://wiki.eclipse.org/eclipse/installation, both luna and mars need 1.7. so just ensure you have it installed.
1 ) open the springtoolsuite4.ini file.
2 ) search for the openfile.
3 ) provide the jvm.dll file location in springtoolsuite4.ini
4 ) note : provide the new line between -vm and your jvm.dll file location path.as shown below.
i had java run time environment and java sdk both on my machine. i removed java run time environment and it resolved my error. earlier this error, i was using elipse with java sdk only and later had installed jre specifically for one need.
this can be resolved by adding the following line to the eclipse.ini file -xx:-usecompressedoops
i had the same issue which was caused due to crash shutdown of my windows 10. earlier in the path i had oracle path ie the path inserted by oracle at the time of installation of jdk. i removed it and changed the path to the jdk location. this solved the problem.
mine is a 64 bit system with 64bit java installation. what worked for me was the following:
- goto the eclipse installation directory
- right click the eclipse icon and click "send to desktop as shortcut"
- then right click on the shortcut icon in the desktop and then > properties > shortcut tab
in the target field point it to the correct java 64 bit installations home path using the vm argument with the java_home path enclosed in quotes like so :
d:\scala_eclipse\eclipse.exe -vm "c:\program files\java\jdk1.8.0_11"
this almost always solves all my eclipse (scala eclipse as well) related problems. as mentioned in the answer , please make sure you are using the right combination of eclipse and java
if you have java 8 installed it might be related to the following issue: https://support.oracle.com/knowledge/middleware/2412304_1.html
simply removing/renaming the "c:\program files (x86)\common files\oracle\java\javapath" worked for me.
i too faced the similar issue , not solved after adding the command in eclipse.ini file. my root cause is different. i was experimenting on sequence diagrams using objectaid. this is throwing an exception and disturbed my workspace. you may have different issue when working on new plugins. better you check the log file located in your project work-space
i had same issue in my windows 7, 64-bit machine. then i downloaded and installed 64 bit jdk for java(which includes jre). this solved the issue.
i've encountered similar problems. the reason is that the path to my eclipse includes chinese characters. once those characters are deleted, the problem is solved. please check if there are characters other than english in your path.
-vm parameters works for me.
for those of you who tried all the above answers without any success, try lowering your -xms value. i am required to support an older eclipse (weblogic eclipse 10.3.6) - i had the following .ini on my windows 7 machine and my windows server 2008 r2 enterprise vm (the java version below points to a 32-bit java) that had worked and were working perfectly, respectively.
so a 32-bit java for a 32-bit eclipse, but still exit code 1. based on all answers i had seen here, and the only change being a new laptop with windows 10, the only possible explanation was that the new os and the eclipse were disagreeing on something. so i started playing around with each of the values, and it worked when i lowered both xms and xmx to 512m. i have a hunch that possibly the new windows os is preventing a higher initial heap size based on some run condition (the higher -xms does work on windows 10 on all other similar devices i came across) - so any other explanation is welcome. meanwhile following is the only value i tweaked to successfully launch eclipse.
working combinations of os, jdk and eclipse bitness.
- 32-bit os , 32-bit jdk , 32-bit eclipse (32-bit only)
- 64-bit os , 32-bit jdk , 32-bit eclipse
- 64-bit os , 64-bit jdk , 64bit eclipse (64-bit only)
kindly use 1 of the above combinations.
it can be like this as well:
i received this error out of the blue. eclipse stopped working even though i made no config changes and did not install any new jdk's.
here was my eclipse.ini file :
c:/program files (x86)/java/jre7/bin/javaw.exe
to get eclipse to start successfully i removed
c:/program files (x86)/java/jre7/bin/javaw.exe
so here is my updated file :
i have no idea why removing osgi.requiredjavaversion=1.6 fixed this as my jvm version is 1.6. from the doc http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2freference%2fmisc%2fruntime-options.html
the minimum java version that is required to launch eclipse. the default value is "1.4.1".
i think my java version was set correctly. anyway eclipse starts and runs for me now......
- Eclipse returns error message "Java was started but returned exit code = 1"
- Eclipse is throwing error - Java was started but returned exit code= -805306369
- Eclipse Error - Java was started but returned exit code=13
- Eclipse returned error message “Java was started but returned exit code= 1”
- Eclipse ADT - java was started but returned exit code = 13
- Error in running eclipse for android development- "Java was started but returned exit code 13"
- Error while starting eclipse spring boot. - Java was started but returned exit code=13
- eclipse exiting with java was started but returned exit code
- Can't start Eclipse - Java was started but returned exit code=13
- Eclipse gives “Java was started but returned exit code 13”
- java was started but returned exit code = -805306369
- Java was started but returned exit code=13 eclipse
- java was started but returned exit code
- Java was started but returned exit code 13
- Eclipse Crash "java was started but returned exit code = -805306369"
- Eclipse ADT: Java was started but returned exit code=13
- Java was started but returned exit code = 13
- Eclipse: Java was started but returned exit code -1073741571
- Eclipse error: java was started but returned exit code=1
- Java was started but returned exit code = -1
- Eclipse Genymotion error: Java was started but returned exit code=-805306369
- Received Java was started but returned exit code=13 error when starting STS on 64-bit machine
- Eclipse - Java was started but returned exit code=13
- Tried everything but nothing seems to work - Eclipse not starting -java was started but returned exit code=13 error
- Eclipse not opening - Java was started but returned exit code=13
- Eclipse for PHP error Java wa started but returned error code 13
- Java conflict : Java was started but returned exit code 13
- Eclipse: Java was started but returned error code=13
- MyEclipse 10 does not start "Java was started but returned exit code 13"
- Java was started but returned with exit code=1
More Query from same tag
- m2eclipse + wtp + jboss deploying the wrong file
- python eclipse dependency plugin - m2eclipse like
- Executing Eclipse Selenium Webdriver Java Code in Command Line?
- How many projects/folders/files can eclipse (the editor) safely handle?
- Webcam for testing camera in Android AVD?
- Why can't I find "hadoop map/reduce" after I put "hadoop-eclipse-plugin-2.5.2.jar" in /eclipse/plugins?
- Classloader issues: Exception not caught even if explicitly caught in test
- Android Version Control and Git
- Using Tomcat with Maven in Eclipse throws errors
- java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.commons.codec.binary.Hex.encodeHexString
- I cannot add python interpreter for PyDev in eclipse
- Android SDK R error(and others)
- What is RemoteSystemsTempFiles in Eclipse?
- Extend Eclipse XML Editor's Design View to display certain Content
- Eclipse/Aptana Subprojects
- NetBeans or Eclipse equivalent of jGrasp's Debug Object Viewers?
- Eclipse doesn't do any hyperlinks or at least highlight the syntax of some of the *.h files and *.S
- PyDev pop-up closes eclipse
- Why eclipse preference general->workspace->refresh using native hooks or polling not working?
- Android search works improperly
- I deleted the ExampleDS from Wildfly.Now I can't deploy my app, because I got errors like this.Any tips?
- Unable to instantiate service com.bump.api.BumpAPI: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.bump.api.BumpAPI
- Nsight Eclipse Cuda + opencv
- Eclipse Formatter: Break at Greater-Than Sign Rather Than at Dot
- why console.readpassword does not work in Eclipse?
- Use java binding of link grammar parser in eclipse
- Converting IF-else construct to SWITCH in eclipse
- Input from xml file and parsing using rapidxml
- Spark Streaming - java.lang.NoSuchMethodError Error
- Disable full thread dump automatically