this is in part due to oracle's missing definitions of the jre8 vm capabilities.
in case you don't want to install jre6 at all and simply use jre8 without symlinking it to the jre6 either you can do the following:
copy the info.plist located at the path named below to e.g. ~/downloads/:
and then replace
with the following:
afterwards copy the file back to its original location (you need administrator rights). for this change to take effect you need to log out of your account (and back in) or restart your computer. the dialog for java 6 should shouldn't appear anymore and eclipse should launch just fine using jre8 (or jre7). the same holds true for any other application that initially asks for java, e.g. adobe's creative suite.
on a related note it appears that this plist change sticks even after updates done through the java preference panel in the system preferences.
if it still doesn't work. you might need to add some folders and a symlink (details):
sudo mkdir -p /library/java/javavirtualmachines/jdk1.8.0_*.jdk/contents/home/bundle/libraries
sudo ln -s /library/java/javavirtualmachines/jdk1.8.0_*.jdk/contents/home/jre/lib/server/libjvm.dylib /library/java/javavirtualmachines/jdk1.8.0_*.jdk/contents/home/bundle/libraries/
sudo mkdir -p /system/library/java/javavirtualmachines/1.6.0.jdk
sudo mkdir -p /system/library/java/support/deploy.bundle
i happened to get it running without a procedure like the suggestions above. i erased the eclipse folder and then copied it back from the trashcan. please verify if it works for you.
on mac os x, after installing jre 7 from oracle using the .dmg download, on opening eclipse, it still pointed back to my old jre 6.
after numerous google searches for the problem, and getting here, in desperation i clicked on "search" in eclipse --> preferences --> installed jres and voila - it picked up jre 7.
in my case, with eclipse 4.5.1 mars (installed from the os x installer, downloaded from eclipse.org) and os x el capitan:
after installing java 8u72 jdk for os x downloaded from oracle website the installer runned without issues and the same was with eclipse itself later on.
you need to download and install the java for mac manually. that is what worked for me.
download here: http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?viewlocale=en_us
to be able to run eclipse with java 7 (oracle), i launch eclipse using this file: eclipse/eclipse.app/contents/macos/eclipse. "eclipse" folder contains alias for this file by default. so all that you need to do is to double-click the alias named "eclipse".
also oracle warns that oracle's java version 7u25 and below have been disabled by apple on os x (see here). i had upgraded to the latest jdk version before i found out the way of launching eclipse with java 7. so i don't know if the upgrade is necessary or not.
i had this problem after a mavericks install. i was able to solve it by installing java from the apple download at http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572
i hope this helps.
- Eclipse Kepler for OS X Mavericks request Java SE 6
- Java Decompiler for Eclipse kepler
- @Path not responding for basic @GET request in Java servlet in Eclipse Tomcat
- Java / Wildfly: Threads piling up / Eclipse shows one additional running thread for each request
- java 7/8 for Eclipse luna on Mavericks
- Downlaod 32 or 64 bit for Eclipse Kepler and Java SE
- How to turn off the Eclipse code formatter for certain sections of Java code?
- How to change font size in Eclipse for Java text editors?
- Eclipse IDE for Java - Full Dark Theme
- What is the difference between Eclipse for Java (EE) Developers and Eclipse Classic?
- Wrapping chained method calls on a separate line in Eclipse for Java
- How to upgrade Eclipse for Java EE Developers?
- How to simultaneously run all JUnit tests for a Eclipse Java project without Maven?
- "insufficient memory for the Java Runtime Environment " message in eclipse
- How to add shortcut keys for java code in eclipse
- How to create the pom.xml for a Java project with Eclipse
- How do I Install JBoss AS / WildFly Server in Eclipse for Java EE
- Vertical line between matching curly braces for java in eclipse
- .gitignore file for java eclipse project
- How to filter call stack in Eclipse debug view for Java
- Maven for Eclipse 1.5.0 plugin cannot be installed under Kepler
- Eclipse Kepler Java 8
- How can I get Eclipse to insert tabs instead of spaces for Java content assist?
- Cannot search for artifact in Eclipse Kepler using m2e plugin
- Disable HTML Warnings in Eclipse for Java EE developers edition
- Did anyone create the Java Code Formatter Profile for Eclipse IDE that conforms to the Android Code Style Rules?
- How can I upgrade from Eclipse Java SE version to Eclipse for Java EE via Eclipse?
- What is the shortcut for running java application in mac eclipse
- Keyboard shortcut to navigate to next/previous search match in eclipse for java
- Eclipse IDE for C/C++ and Java
More Query from same tag
- eclipse error represented by a small question mark attatched to file icons
- Two databases are shown when only one is created in Android using SQLite databases
- How get Maven war-app fully functional in Eclipse?
- Eclipse - Create Dist directory
- Can't change default output folder
- GCM on android device and App crashes
- Passing in an argument through Eclipse CDT
- Facebook login problems
- subversion eclipse and multiple repositories
- Cannot resolve import after Maven configuration
- Cannot create executable jar from Java Swing app successfully
- Parsing Huge XML unknown content
- Unignore folders under /bin TFS everywhere
- changing background color on every clock tick
- this pointer is shown as a variable name in eclipse while debugging
- How do I make a JAR file for my homework assignment?
- Project build settings in Eclipse
- Eclipse - PHP deprecated commands not being highlighted
- Having Trouble Running Java Program in CMD
- Want option back to choose between running app in device or emulator
- How to import odoo module from code in eclipse
- gwt mvp contacts example project gives error when importing it in eclipse
- Creating eclipse project from old project
- Eclipse "Show Proposal" key combination not working for Java or C
- Create a jar file using jdev that includes weblogic.jar
- Error in Async related with doInBackground when trying to use HTTPPOST
- Eclipse: setting default action for double-clicking files of a certain type
- Subversion issue with working copy at a single revision
- Java 8 - Type mismatch: cannot convert from List<Serializable> to List<String>
- Android eclipse import project problems with encoding