for ubuntu users, refer to the answer https://stackoverflow.com/a/64049648/14489697 by howlger. add the following lines in file
above is the java install location. change this according to yours.
- eclipse ide for enterprise java developers (includes incubating components)
- version: 2020-12 (4.18.0)
- build id: 20201210-1552
- os: linux, v.5.4.0-42-generic, x86_64 / gtk 3.22.30
- java version: 14.0.2
if you're looking to resolve this without changing eclipse.ini file, just reinstall eclipse ide. it can be the same version or newer one. i have reinstalled the same version and it's worked without issues, no needing of changing eclipse.ini.
thank you .
this one worked for me
c:\program files\java\jdk-16\bin\javaw.exe added these lines in eclipse.ini file
adding an additional answer here as i was not able to start my eclipse even after updating the eclipse.ini file with the path of javaw.exe under the jdk. i was running into an exception that started as
java was started but returned exit code=1
i had to point to the java.dll file as suggested in https://wiki.eclipse.org/eclipse.ini#-vm_value:_windows_example. so my latest eclipse.ini looked like
c:\program files\eclipse adoptium\jre-188.8.131.52-hotspot\bin\server\jvm.dll
also, when i installed jdk 11 it did not come with jre. i had to download the jre separately from https://adoptium.net/releases.html?variant=openjdk11&jvmvariant=hotspot
hope someone finds this useful.
check out your java version and update path and version... echo %java_home%\bin\javaw.exe c:\program files\java\jdk-184.108.40.206\bin\javaw.exe
-vm c:\program files\java\jdk-220.127.116.11\bin\javaw.exe -vmargs -dosgi.requiredjavaversion=18
i downloaded jdk from https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase-jdk15-downloads.html and put the unpacked contents to
jre subdirectory of eclipse's installation path - there is a path
eclipse/jre/bin/javaw.exe. eclipse picks it up automatically over any other installation.
i also faced the same issue, but i did not resolve it no matter what.
then it got resolved installing the below link.
my solution was to set the jvm as per this post on the manjaro forum:
checked the installed versions
set latest version (16 in my case)
sudo archlinux-java set java-16-jdk
i had the same issue and the following easy steps fixed the issue
step - 1
go to the file location of the eclipse and open
eclipse.ini in editable format
step - 2
go to the java folder location where you find javaw.exe
in my case :
step - 3
then paste the following before tag
the below image shows in brief
i had the same problem and i downloaded another version of java ee eclipse. i got the eclipse 2020-06 (4.16):
after downloading it, it worked.
i had the same issue and got it to work by reinstalling using the installer from https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ which includes a jre.
to resolve the incompatible jvm exception, specify the specific jvm for eclipse.
- open the eclipse folder and look for the eclipse.ini file.
- before the -vmargs option, add the -vm option.
- find and copy the path of the javaw.exe file in the jdk folder
- in the eclipse.ini file, add the path of the javaw.exe file to the new line following the -vm option.
- restart eclipse after saving the eclipse.ini file.
as a result, the eclipse.ini file looks like this:
c:\program files\java\jdk-16\bin\javaw.exe //new
i was getting this error on a linux os, but the following solution should work for all oses.
step 1: open a command prompt
you will see something like this -
openjdk version "1.8.0_275"
openjdk runtime environment (build 1.8.0_275-8u275-b01-0ubuntu1~16.04-b01)
openjdk 64-bit server vm (build 25.275-b01, mixed mode)
(may vary depending on your computer and os)
step 2: open the
the file is located at c:\users\yourusername\eclipse\java-2019-12\eclipse
locate the following line -
change it to
and restart eclipse. it is there twice so change at both places. you may try to give the java version specific to your system (from the output of step 1). this has worked for me.
this works for me. make sure you add
-vm(path_of_jdk) on top of
i got it resolved by adding the vm parameters in the eclipse configuration file at the top.
in text format
the java to run eclipse can be specified in the
eclipse.ini file (see eclipse wiki: eclipse.ini - specifying the jvm). add the following two lines directly before the line
-vmargs and adapt the path to your java 11 or higher 64-bit java vm installation directory:
alternatively, you can put the java vm into the
jre subdirectory of the eclipse installation or, if you do not install eclipse but upgrade it, install java 11 or better java 14 as plugin before the upgrade from eclipse justj (use justj openjdk hotspot jre complete, not base or minimal).
please note, that even if you run eclipse with java 11 or higher, eclipse 2020-09 (4.17) still supports to code in java 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8 and even much older versions (down to java 1.1). java 15 can be installed via marketplace.
- Eclipse - "Incompatible JVM. Version 1.8.0_261 of the JVM is not suitable for this product. Version: 11 or greater is required"
- version 1.7 of the jvm is not suitable for this product. version 1.8 greater is required for eclipse nano in window
- Eclipse: Incompatible JVM: Version 1.8.0_281 of the JVM is not suitable for this product. Version: 11 or greater is required
- Error launching Eclipse 4.4 "Version 1.6.0_65 of the JVM is not suitable for this product."
- Version 1.6.0_65 of the JVM is not suitable for this product
- version 1.4.2_03 of the jvm is not suitable for this product. 1.5 or greater is required problem
- im getting an error when trying to launch eclipse "Version 1.8.0_261 of the JVM is not suitable for this product."
- Version 1.5.0 of the JVM is not suitable for this product. Version: 1.6 or greater is required
- How to Fix "Version 1.8.0_265 of the JVM is not suitable for this product." in Eclipse on MAC OS [Not Windows]
- Java Eclipse saying my version of JVM is not suitable
- Eclipse not compatible with version 1.8.0_333 of the JVM
- I installed Java 7 but Eclipse keep saying that 1.6 is not suitable for this product
- "method is ambiguous for the type" but the types are NOT ambiguous (and the error comes by upgrade from eclipse 3.7.2 to eclipse 4.2)
- The project was not built due to "Failed to init ct.sym for C:\Program Files\Java\jre-10.0.2\lib\jrt-fs.jar" in IDE Eclipse
- What version of Eclipse is included with the SDK ADT bundle for Android Dev?
- what is the correct version of Eclipse for Coldfusion?
- Eclipse does not download latest jar of the same version from the target platform
- The selected wizard could not be started in eclipse for Anltr 4 .How to solve?
- Eclipe kepler not showing svn path and version for the project
- Eclipse P2 - touchpoint for the collect action is not included
- Eclipse not deploy all the jar files for a web app
- How do I change the syntax highlighting of feature files for Cucumber JVM Eclipse Plugin
- Using fgets(char* c, int i, file* f) with printf() for C in Eclipse - CDT. The order of output is not correct.!
- eclipse : Can not find the tag library descriptor for "/struts-tags"
- Specific JRE name (which might not be the same on other computers) stored in meta-data for Eclipse Ganymede WTP project
- How to set the target version for runnable jar in Eclipse
- Eclipse plugin builds should not generate new version of the plugin if nothing has changed
- Where do I find gwt-dev-windows.jar ? It does not look like it was included in the GWT SDK for Eclipse
- Eclipse CDT shows ... not resolved errors for ARM neon intrinsics, but produces the binary
- Can I configure Eclipse to suppress the "is not used" warning for a specific fieldname?
More Query from same tag
- PNG image not showing in Eclipse ImageView
- pylintrc file not being detected in LiClipse
- In Eclipse, how can I create relocatable project definitions?
- Tomcat Not Starting Through Eclipse (Timeout)
- How to get Ant to copy properties file to classes directory
- In Eclipse Plug-in, how to launch a web url using system broswer?
- How to create two or more APK packages from a single source tree, preferably in a single build
- Commit all shortcut for Subclipse
- c++ class template return value error
- Gigantic Tabs in Eclipse on Ubuntu
- App Crashing While passing value to web service
- Remote MySQL DB and eclipse
- JAVAFX ERROR (Exception in Application start method java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException)
- Android/Eclipse PANIC: Could not open
- Play Framework + Eclipse: undefined method for ReverseApplication
- Import project to another workspace including run configurations
- Get rid of duplicate lines in try/catch statement
- Servlet and html form for calculator
- mySQL: Connection with Eclipse
- error in import com.android.vending.billing.IInAppBillingService; aidl.exe
- unable to get system library for the project on eclipse ide
- How to supporting all android screen sizes?
- convert object to String in sysout output, java
- Auto-wiring annotations in classes from dependent jars
- Question About Eclipse Java Debugger Conditional Breakpoints Inefficiency
- Android/Eclipse Error - "Could not find class 'org.jivesoftware.smack.ConnectionConfiguration', referenced from method"
- Script error: "An error has occured in the script on the page"
- Emulate Netbeans behavior in Eclipse
- How to fix error warning for unresolved import(which seems to be invalid warning)?
- page import="javax.event.*" "The import javax.event cannot be resolved" error