eclipse's welcome screen causes this kind of bug in the editor specifically (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=426557). sometimes you can find that when you restart can't move with control+arrow in the editor but you can in other views like console window.
you can disable welcome screen ( in most eclipse based ides it's a checkbox in the welcome screen ) and then restart eclipse just to be sure it won't happend again. everything will work again.
on menu window->preferences->general->keys click on "restore defaults" button and everything works again.
the permanent solutions suggested here work perfectly well. however, there might be some cases when you are not in a position to restart the ide / workspace (maybe you are running a localhost server) - and you are really used to ctrl + backspacing and the like; i have a quicker workaround - just close and reopen any file that you need to edit. the bug only affects files that were open at start - ones that auto open (likely from the last session) after the welcome screen. use this until you get to restart your ide and then make it stop showing the welcome screen.
on ubuntu 16.4 welcome screen is blank and there is no way to disable it. installing
libwebkitgtk-3.0-0 as suggested on eclipse site work just partially and no check box are showed.
last resource: find where are your plugin directory and remove
in my installation was at
just a note: in the last 4/5 years eclipse's bugs was raising very fast :( ....
to be precise you don't need to restart eclipse, but close "affected" document only. it works for me - oxygen.2 release (4.7.2)
i've got the same problem with eclipse-oxygen and disabling the welcome screen fixed the issue. i gave this answer just to confirm the solutions explained above also work for the following eclipse version;
1: eclipse-oxygen version: oxygen.1a release (4.7.1a) (released on october 2017)
2: version: oxygen.3a release (4.7.3a) build id: 20180405-1200
this issue is caused by the welcome screen. uncheck the "always show..." checkbox on you welcome screen.
if welcome screen of your eclipse distribution does not have the "always show..." checkbox, then another option to disable welcome screen is to create file in your workspace:
and insert following content:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
i had an issue just like this with eclipse neon. i was baffled by answers i was finding about the welcome screen, but i disabled it, and apparently that was causing the issue, because ctrl+shift+right/left worked, after disabling it. in neon, the welcome screen has an "always show welcome at startup" box you can uncheck, in the lower right corner of the welcome screen when it appears. after unchecking it, selecting words worked, again. somehow.
- Eclipse ctrl+right does nothing
- Why does Eclipse say that "errors exist" but shows nothing in console?
- Eclipse Gradle export of Android project does nothing
- Eclipse "run as android" does nothing
- Eclipse (ctrl+shift+f) does nothing
- Eclipse "Apply Checkstyle fixes" or "Quick Fix" does nothing when trying to fix checkstyle errors in a java file
- Unable to create AVD in Eclipse - clicking OK does nothing
- Does a "Find in project..." feature exist in Eclipse IDE?
- Eclipse does not highlight matching variables
- Why does Eclipse automatically add appcompat v7 library support whenever I create a new project?
- What does the red exclamation point icon in Eclipse mean?
- Does Eclipse have line-wrap
- Why does Eclipse complain about @Override on interface methods?
- Why does Eclipse Java Package Explorer show question mark on some classes?
- Why does my Eclipse project have phantom debugger breakpoints?
- Why does Eclipse take so long to update Maven dependencies?
- Eclipse on MAC OS X Does not detect LLVM toolchain
- Eclipse does not start when I run the exe?
- Why does my Eclipse Indigo crash on Ubuntu 13.04 with Oracle JDK 64bit?
- Where does Eclipse store preferences?
- Why does Ubuntu 14.04 stick with (old) Eclipse 3.8 when 4.3 is out?
- Eclipse does not recognize content of persistence.xml
- Where does Eclipse look for eclipse.ini under Linux
- Editor does not contain a main type in Eclipse
- Why does my Eclipse keep not responding?
- Eclipse CDT indexer does not know C++11 containers
- Why does Eclipse use Cp1252 encoding?
- Eclipse tomcat error: Document base does not exist or is not a readable directory
- Does Eclipse have a way to alphabetically sort lines within a selection of text?
- Subversive SVN Connectors does not appear in eclipse juno
More Query from same tag
- .click syntax issue, Selenium, JAVA, Eclipse, Junit, EDGE browser
- Foreign Key Issue ,Showing Illegal attempt to map a non collection as a @OneToMany, @ManyToMany or @CollectionOfElements error
- Convert netbeans project to eclipse project
- How to make a play framework based project into a eclipse project in a better form?
- How-to deploy to application server web project with non-webproject structure (within Eclipse)
- Socket data type giving error even after importing java.net.*;
- Fix Android Library References
- Adding self signed certificte to JRE keystore
- Error in Eclipse- Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches the given name 'android:TextAppearance.Material'
- Syntax Errors when importing phonegap project to eclipse
- getServletContext().getRealPath("") returning null in WebSphere Application Server Liberty
- Could not find class 'com.google.maps.android.heatmaps.HeatmapTileProvider$Builder'
- Permanently connect android device and eclipse over wifi
- Eclipse flags a piece of code with a 'Dead code' warning. Why in this case?
- Configuring services / service factories in Equinox
- Compiling a set of NSIS scripts using Eclipse
- downloading and working with ICS-file via eclipse
- java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind
- image won't show in Eclipse dynamic web project
- Jenkins build after Eclipse commit on SVN
- Importing hyperjaxb purchase order tutorial into Eclipse
- Launching node.js NPX from Eclipse Project
- Button alignment is gone when app is displayed Horizontally
- Eclipse plug-in (OpenEdge Architect 10.2B) blocked by firewall
- Servlet exception in java
- What actual git command does `Assume Unchanged` in Eclipse Git run in the background?
- How to check the PHP syntax in Eclipse?
- How to compare two eclipse installations for missing features?
- 105 errors java android eclipse
- How to let eclipse break on a stack overflow?