the simple answer to this question is *.* , basically it's completely safe to ignore anything you don't want to add to version control. that being said it really depends on what you're looking to accomplish by using git. if you want to be able to checkout/import your project elsewhere from the same repository then you'll want to ignore at most /bin/. and /gen/., i wouldn't ignore the folders themselves (i.e. /bin, /gen) just for the sake of maintaining the proper directory structure for your project.
that answers the initial question, but is unrelated to the problem you are having. as far as solving the problem you are experiencing is concerned you would have to post more info, specifically what's listed in the problems tab. if you can't see the problems tab anywhere then click on the window menu, then show view, then choose problems if it's there or click on other and look under general to find it.
the best way is use this site to generate: http://www.gitignore.io/
it's safe to ignore bin and gen, without problems. when i have problems with a project setup, i do this: first - have you looked at the 'problems' tab in the view underneath the editor view - it generally gives more detailed information about project errors. if there's nothing conclusive there, i do the things below:
- generally, when i'm having issues with eclipse giving me phantom errors in the project, cleaning the project will fix it. it's in the menu, under project>clean.
- if that doesn't work, i'll usually try right clicking the project, going to android tools> fix project properties.
- my last resort it to restart eclipse and delete the gen folder.
what i usually add to
gen are constantly changed while coding, so there's no need to include them into the git repository. also, sometimes i add
.project which are eclipse specific files, because maybe i want to create a new android project based on these same sources, but in another os or ide.
with regards to the error, i would clean the project and/or try to run the fix project properties utility (right-click on the project -> android tools -> fix project properties).
there are file types to ignore
# built application files
# files for the dex vm
# java class files
# generated files
# local configuration file (sdk path, etc)
# eclipse project files
# proguard folder generated by eclipse
# intellij project files
from gitignore on github
- Eclipse Android and gitignore
- NoClassDefFoundError - Eclipse and Android
- eclipse not showing Avd manager window and android project
- How to use Gradle to generate Eclipse and Intellij project files for Android projects
- Scala, Android and Eclipse
- Android Development Tool 23.0.0 and Android L Update error in eclipse
- Eclipse with android plugin - Blocked at "calculating requirements and dependencies"
- "Selection cannot be launched and there are no recent launches” when Eclipse for Android Project Dev
- Mercurial ignore-file for Eclipse and Android development
- Differences between Android NetBEANS plugin and Eclipse plugin?
- Eclipse and Android SDK issue "aapt.exe has stopped"
- Using JDK 7 Or Higher With Android Studio And Eclipse On Mac OSX
- What are the differences between android studio and the eclipse version bundled with android SDK
- What is the difference between Eclipse "Import" and "Create project from existing source" for Android projects?
- Eclipse and Android XML layouts gives "'default' is not a best match for any device/locale combination"
- Error with parsing Android sdk content and initializing java tooling in eclipse
- Using Android library in eclipse and jumping to class files instead of source file that is within eclipse workspace
- cannot access memory at address 0X1 after setting up gdb and eclipse to debug shared library from Android Application
- Using ADT and SDK manager, attach android source code to eclipse
- Eclipse IDE - Android Graphical Layout and XML Layout Side by Side
- Why does Android Eclipse constantly refresh external folders and take forver?
- How to create new android project in eclipse and share in local git repository?
- Eclipse Indigo Android ADT - install OK, no "Android" option in Preferences and New Project
- Fixing Eclipse errors when using Android NDK and std::vector
- Android trying to run my project in eclipse and end up with xml.out
- RoboLectric and Android in Eclipse (WARNING: no system properties value for ro.build.date.utc)
- How to properly clone an Android project using Eclipse and Mercurial
- Eclipse ADT (Theme and Icon) is broken after updating Android SDK
- Eclipse and Android and classpath: bin and target
- TypeNotPresentException when running android testcase with robolectric and eclipse
More Query from same tag
- How to stop a window from disposing when someone tries to close it
- Eclipse RCP application without Eclipse GUI
- OSGi bundle not started : missing requirement osgi.wiring.package; > &(osgi.wiring.package=org.apache.felix.dm)
- Reopen window closed by mistake in Talend
- proper version of Spring JUnit runner - Spring 3.1.2 - JUnit 4.3.1
- immediate window
- How to remove unused imports from Eclipse
- Lambda Expressions java 8 exception : java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.invoke.LambdaMetafactory.metaFactory
- simple struts application needs internet to run?
- Can't see breakpoint symbol in Eclipse Mars2 because it is hidden by another symbol
- where do get ADT 18 for eclipse?
- Setting C/C++ build configuration reverts to default after hitting OK
- Rebuild .apk using Eclipse without Run
- How to configure eclipse IDE for Selenium WebDriver to work on multiple platforms?
- Subclipse not showing the SVN data in package explorer and team options not available
- Cucumber Eclipse - Resolving warning: Cucumber-JVM's --format option is deprecated. Please use --plugin instead
- Automatic resolve dependency hierarchy for a custom jar
- Error in building Liferay 6.2 portlet in Eclipse Juno?
- Reading files in Java
- Using compatibility layer from Eclipse 3.8 to 4.x
- Eclipse CDT - Ignore directories for Code Analysis
- How to create field through func in openerp?
- Unable to Configure JRE_HOME after JAVA update
- How to import hadoop mapreduce into eclipse for development
- How to use Vista's SuperFetch with Eclipse?
- Formal Methods : How to install CZT plugin on Eclipse IDE?
- Using external Jar dependency in Eclipse with Non-Runnable Jar
- How to copy members between classes in intellij
- Unable to instantiate activity: ComponentInfo java.lang.ClassNotFoundException Directory "."
- i cannot modify my android project's java path