you can also set auto completion to open automatically while typing.
content assist and write
.abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz in the
auto activation triggers for java field.
see this question for more details.
- in eclipse, open the code auto completion box from first letter
- go to >> window >> preference >> [ java c++ php ... ] >> editor >> auto activation triggers for...
- add the character space by just putting your cursor inside and box and push the space key..
all the commands and variables which begin with that letter are now going to appear
pressing ctrl+space opens up the auto-completion dialog in eclipse. in the java perspective it opens automatically after you typed a
. (normally with a short delay).
see if your settings are correct also:
window -> preferences -> java -> editor -> content assist. see if the "completion inserts" is checked off along with anything else there you want to help auto complete.
now in eclipse neon this feature is present. no need of any special settings or configuation .on ctrl+space the code suggestion is available
i had a similar issue when i switched from intellijidea to eclipse. it can be done in the following steps. go to window > preferences > java > editor > content assist and type ._abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzs in the auto activation triggers for java field
yes. if the suggestion doesn't compare automatically, then press crtl + space button.
its simple, these are the steps:
- first go to the following settings
window -> preferences -> java -> editor -> content assist -> advanced
- there will be two boxes having checkboxes
- check everything in there and click apply
- now of course when you'll be coding there will be auto code completion feature automatically
since you asked about other java ide, i suggest intellij by jetbrains. just look at it: not only does it support auto completion as you type, but also it support import package once you select the auto completion.
before someone said "eclipse is free", note that intellij has free community edition as well: www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/
window -> preferences -> java -> editor -> content assist > enter
in the auto activation triggers.
it will allow you to complete your code.
go to windows--> preference--->java--->content assist--->enable auto activation---(insert ._@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz in auto activation triggers for java)
ctrl+space shortcut for getting all possible autocomplete options available in a particular context in the editor.
auto complete will also allow you to insert custom code templates into the editor, with placeholders for various inputs. for instance, attempting to auto complete the word "test" in a java editor, in the context of a class body, will allow you to create a unit test that uses junit; you'll have to code the body of the method though. some code templates like the former, come out of the box.
configuration options of interest
- auto-activation delay. if the list of auto complete options is taking too long to appear, the delay can be reduced from windows -> preferences -> java -> editor -> content assist -> auto activation delay (specify the reduced delay here).
- auto activation trigger for java. accessible in the same pane, this happens to be the
.character by default. when you have just keyed in
typea.and you expect to see relevant members that can be accessed, the auto completion list will automatically popup with the appropriate members, on this trigger.
- proposal types. if you do not want to see proposals of a particular variety, you can disable them from windows -> preferences -> java -> editor -> content assist -> advanced. i typically switch off proposals of most kinds except java and template proposals. hitting ctrl+space multiple times will cycle you through proposals of various kinds.
- template proposals. these are different from your run of the mill proposals. you could add your code templates in here; it can be accessed from windows -> preferences -> java -> editor -> templates. configuration of existing templates is allowed and so is addition of new ones. reserve usage however for the tedious typing tasks that do not have a template yet.
- Auto code completion on Eclipse
- Eclipse Auto Code completion method selection not showing super class methods
- Auto Code Completion on Eclipse Kepler for Omnifaces o:importConstants
- auto completion on generated java code in eclipse
- Eclipse Auto code completion
- disable eclipse auto completion
- Why does Eclipse code completion not work on some projects?
- Eclipse Kepler - PHP Code completion not working
- Eclipse 2021-09 code completion not showing all methods and classes
- Code completion issues with the Scala-IDE and Eclipse Juno
- eclipse jsp - no colors, code completion and error detection
- Is it possible to mark a part of java code in eclipse to be not auto formatted?
- Eclipse Java 8 Auto completion for Lambda expressions
- How to use auto completion in Eclipse adding fully qualified name
- how can I have eclipse auto insert subversion revision number into my code
- Is there an Eclipse C# Highlight, Code Completion plugin
- code completion and factory pattern in eclipse pdt
- What do these numbers `10k`, `6k`, `1k`, `210` in java eclipse code completion mean?
- How to get Zend Framework view helper code completion in Eclipse (Aptana Studio 3)?
- How to make code completion for Java 8 lambda parameters in Eclipse work?
- How to get Eclipse style code completion in Android Studio
- Is it possible to setup Eclipse code completion to show first party classes first
- How to use code completion into Eclipse with OpenCV
- Annotation declared managed beans and code completion in Eclipse Inidigo
- Eclipse CDT C/C++ code completion problem in NDK / Java project
- Eclipse code completion window suddenly takes up whole screen
- How to auto reload external code changes in Eclipse project ?
- Eclipse sql code completion
- IntelliJ code completion like Xcode & Eclipse
- Prevent eclipse from auto import packages when copying source code between projects
More Query from same tag
- Unable to export Working Set in Eclipse
- Get URI of RSM Diagram Elements
- Eclipse is not starting on Windows 7
- Adding yes and no button for exit
- Inline SVGs not rendering in IE9+ when served from Tomcat 7 in CentOS 6.5
- How to update from eclipse oxygen to photon while also getting Java in?
- Can't open Eclipse after installing ADT Plugin
- Robolectric - BuildActivity(MyActivity.class).create() throw NullPointerException
- Eclipse Error After Exporting
- After doing all what I can, there is still error "Could not find OpenCV Library - 2.4.9.apk" in Android for OpenCV
- got out of my git local branch somehow
- Eclipse (Helios) fails to load DLL
- Enable IndentGuide Eclipse plugin in java files
- java.lang.ClassFormatError: Absent Code attribute in method that is not native or abstract in class file javax/faces/FacesException
- How to load shared object from location other than armeabi?
- JavaHL Not Available - SVN with Eclipse 4.3 Kepler on osx 10.8.5
- Read a file's content from the expression of a conditional JAVA breakpoint in Eclipse without creating variables
- Eclipse cannot find my Nexus S on Windows 7 64 bit
- Creating page in Action Bar Android
- How to solve java.lang.RuntimeException: The P3D renderer is not in the class path. while running Processing from Eclipse?
- Java eclipse directory structure and tomcat
- I want to change the color of the text editor of Eclipse easily!
- What is the correct way to use maven and eclipse?
- Eclipse - Tomcat 7 - java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException on publish
- Installing counterclockwise plugin on eclipse fails
- Eclipse: Make CTRL+. and CTRL+, ignore warnings
- xdebug breakpoints work but step over does not
- Eclipse RCP Fast View in Horizontal Orientation
- How to set the java for different environments
- How to remove unset break points in eclipse