help -> check for updates upon eclipse update solved the issue
you may get more success if you do a "search" for the runtime env from the preferences screen instead of hitting "add" - see this demo on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eokn5ipojvs&playnext_from=tl&videos=rvnitzsu2z8 - when you hit search, you are prompted to point to the tomcat directory and then it should add it as a server runtime environment. unfortunately for me, that is not the case (i get "no new server runtime environments were found") but you might have more success.
scenario 1: you had eclipse showing server and now after removing the particular version you want to configure at eclipse a new local server instance. but you can not move further.
this happens due to reason eclipse still looks for configured version of tomcat directory, which directory is no longer there.
there is no need till luna to make fresh installation!
all we need is to replace the new server run time environment into eclipse after removing old one, which is non-existent. eclipse will
nor does it appear in the list of environments that can be added when i click the "add" button. all i see is the j2ee runtime library.
go get "eclipse for java ee developers". note the extra "ee". this includes among others the web tools platform with among others a lot of server plugins with among others the one for apache tomcat 5.x. it's also logically; jsp/servlet is part of the java ee api.
window > preferences > server > runtime environments(as you said)
apache > apache tomcat 5.5
that has worked for the past 3 versions of eclipse at least. if there is not such an option on your eclipse, get a fresh installation (for java ee developers).
i had the same problem and i solved it with the following steps
- help > install new software...
- select "eclipse web tools platform repository (http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/updates)" from the "work with" drop-down.
- select "web tools platform (wtp)" and "project provided components".
complete all the installation steps and restart eclipse. you'll see a bunch of servers when you try to add a server runtime environment.
you need to go to help>eclipse marketplace . then type server in the search box it will display eclipse jst server adapters (apache tomcat,...) .select that one and install it .then go back to window>preferences>server>runtime environnement, click add choose apache tomcat version then add the installation directory .
in my case i needed to install "jst server adapters". i am running eclipse 3.6 helios rcp edition.
here are the steps i followed:
- help -> install new software
- choose "helios - http://download.eclipse.org/releases/helios" site or kepler - http://download.ecliplse.org/releases/kepler
- expand "web, xml, and java ee development"
- check jst server adapters (version 3.2.2)
after that i could define new server runtime environments.
edit: with eclipse 3.7 indigo classic, eclipse kepler and luna, the steps are the same (with appropriate update site) but you need both jst server adapters and jst server adapters extentions to get the server runtime environment options.
- Apache Tomcat Not Showing in Eclipse Server Runtime Environments
- Apache Tomcat 9 Not Showing in Eclipse Server Runtime Environments
- Eclipse - Target runtime Apache Tomcat v7.0 is not defined
- Tomcat server not listed on Target Runtime on eclipse Neon
- Tomcat server 9.0 not starting in eclipse It showing error "Server Tomcat v9.0 Server at localhost failed to start."
- Eclipse Servers view not showing added Tomcat runtime environment
- Eclipse error: Target runtime Apache Tomcat v7.0 is not defined
- Apache Tomcat and Apache TomEE server is not running web projects in eclipse
- Apache Tomcat v8 is not showing in Eclipse Juno
- server not showing in runtime enviroment while adding server(tomcate) in eclipse
- apache tomcat 9.x not working with eclipse & Java 10.0.1
- How to deploy created .jar file in Apache Tomcat server in Eclipse IDE?
- When not to use this server location when using tomcat within Eclipse
- Tomcat home page is not showing when running in Eclipse
- Eclipse Mars not showing Jboss Server
- Eclipse maven-enabled web app references workspace projects, but those are not deployed when running Tomcat server
- Eclipse Luna - Getting error - 'Could not publish server configuration for Tomcat v7.0 Server at localhost. Multiple Contexts have a path of "/abc"
- Tomcat 7 server not visible in eclipse
- eclipse can not determine apache tomcat 7 on ubuntu
- Apache Tomcat 7.0 not working properly with eclipse EE juno version
- Eclipse Tomcat server does not start
- Tomcat server within eclipse not working for Gradle build project
- Eclipse : Starting tomcat server from eclipse , does not start the deployed wars
- Application will not run on Tomcat Server within Eclipse
- Server Tab not Showing in Eclipse ADT
- Tomcat 8.5 not showing up in Eclipse
- Not able to run a simple JSP program in Eclipse with Tomcat server 7 in browser
- Apache Tomcat server isn't working when running Dynamic Web Application in Eclipse
- Eclipse : Creating Web Service via Apache Axis2 & Tomcat server 7
- Eclipse not publishing to Apache 6.0.32 - Could not publish to the server
More Query from same tag
- Eclipse: Change the block comment style of ctrl+shift+/
- Generate a "graphic method references chart" for a Java project
- Generating random session id whenever user uses login() in web services
- lazylist adapter issue while scrolling
- Configuring STS/eclipse to work fast with macbook pro
- OpenOCD for NRF51 simultaneously with Ac6 plugin
- Unable to install eclipse on 12.10
- Eclipse: Taking ALL of my preferences with me between copies of Eclipse
- How can I make eclipse's autoformatter ignore a section of code?
- Unable to launch app on Android 7.1.2 through appium in eclipse
- jdbc connection, login failed for user in war file
- Using an parameter variable from an advice Aspectj
- How to convert an existing eclipse GWT project into a Dynamic Web Project?
- Configure Java VM of Eclipse to run with JavaFX
- How to print dynamic generated values of form field in selenium using Eclipes.
- Having to add library files manually. Why?
- Why is jaxws-maven-plugin ignoring my .WSDL file?
- Eclipse c/c++ "Program file does not exist"
- Setting intent putExtra value using a method
- Sending a web request from Android and to retrieve back response from web application
- NullPointerException when eclipse workbench is closing
- Proguard on Android and using Json
- Eclipse 3.5 Missing New Web Application option after installing Google App Engine plugin
- FATAL EXCEPTION: main & NullPointerException
- Best Eclipse Code Formatters?
- Subclass activity from a jar getting ClassNotFoundException
- Tomcat Eclipse Plugin Default Parameters?
- Custom Lombok Extensions Require Lombok Package?
- Using variables for source attachments in Eclipse
- Increase a char value by one