check the "android version to use when rendering layouts" and make sure you're not using a version that ends in "w" for android wear (e.g. api 20: android 4.4w). i don't believe wear supports
in both android studio and eclipse, it's the dropdown with the green android in the layout preview's toolbar. you may want to set it explicitly and not allow the ide to choose the android version automatically.
i deleted 4.4w from my sdk install pile, which must have slipped past me last time i installed an sdk. once i removed it it was no longer and option, and eclipse picked an sdk i did have that wasn't w and it worked.
the w in android 4.4w suggest wearable devices. android wear is a wrist watch and you cannot type anything in it so you cannot use edittext on 4.4w. change the api to 19 or less or change it to 4.4l
check it out @ https://developer.android.com/design/wear/index.html
you can change your previewing api version as jim suggested if u don't want to develop apps for wearable devices.
if you are facing this on android studio, follow along
1) uninstall android 4.4w(api 20) from the sdk manager
2) make sure you have android sdk build tools 19.1 installed from the sdk manager.
3) edit build.gradle within your app folder. set the following two values as below
4) the ide will prompt you to sync the gradle file with your project, click yes.
5) open your activity file and then change the 'android version to use when rendering layouts in ide' to 'api 19'. this is the green colored android bot towards the right on the preview window
i changed my android version for android 4.2, but it still not work for me. i tried different solutions found that it only work by deleting android 4.4w package.
window > android sdk manager > check android 4.4w(api 20) if it was installed > delete package
from the eclipse ide, just change the api version to use for previewing, as shown in below screenshot. instead of "automatically pick best", manually select the one which works for you (api 17 worked for me).
- Android app in Eclipse: Edit text not showing on Graphical layout
- Eclipse Not Showing Graphical Layout for Android XML files
- Eclipse Android Graphical Layout Not Showing Anything
- Android Eclipse Linear Layout with multiple text views not wrapping
- eclipse graphical layout not showing anything
- Android app layout not updated unless I restart eclipse
- Android Eclipse > Graphical Layout: How to Set Default Layout = Nexus 7 or Not 2 for every XML layout I open to look same in IDE and Device
- tabwidget not showing up in eclipse graphical layout editor
- Why are my eclipse dp dimensions for the android graphical layout editor not accurate?
- Android xml graphical layout is not working for eclipse IDE
- Android / Eclipse - Graphical Layout (XML) not updating when I make changes to AVD
- Edit Text value not getting changed- Android eclipse
- Android Graphical Layout Editor Not Showing Previews
- Android Background is showing in the graphical layout but not on the device
- Grahical View of Android Layout not showing in Eclipse
- eclipse not showing Avd manager window and android project
- Graphical Layout tab does not appear for some layout files into Eclipse
- How to get the graphical layout Window back in Eclipse for Android Application Design?
- Eclipse not running Android app on emulator a second time
- graphical layout not working in eclipse with adt 10.1
- Eclipse Android Graphical Layout Editor Broken
- Eclipse IDE - Android Graphical Layout and XML Layout Side by Side
- Can not launch android project from xml layout file in Eclipse
- "Can't find API database; API check was not performed" in Android App SDK with Eclipse
- Eclipse is missing Graphical Layout and Source tabs when editing Android XML files
- Graphical Layout Scroll Problem in Eclipse Android Development
- Eclipse Content Assist Not Working Properly For Android Layout
- "Source not found" when debugging android app using Eclipse
- Eclipse not showing suggestions in Android XML
- Android app name not changed in status bar when launching in eclipse
More Query from same tag
- Add Eclipse plug in to Eclipse RCP App
- Unable to install the ZendServer(Debugger)?
- How to use libraries for Algorithms part I Coursera course in Eclipse
- Getting an IllegalArgumentException trying to implement ExtendedProperties for android-calendar
- How to customize icons near the scrollbar in the Eclipse Java editor?
- how to use GCMV in Eclipse?
- Creating new servlet in eclipse kepler for maven web app project
- App is crashing with shared preferences
- Web-xml <servlet-class> to a servlet under default package Eclipse
- Java Debugging: Source not found
- Maven build fails in eclipse; successful from command line
- How to precisely detect when a variable changes value using Eclipse?
- Using different resource files depending of the SDK API level (using Eclipse)?
- how to turn off scala bracket completion in eclipse scala
- Matplotlib plots always hiding in background in MacOS
- display result sql in columns
- Having trouble taking user inputs and forming arrays
- How to replace the Android camera emulation with a video file?
- how to call contexts.xml file in eclipse plugin
- Eclipse plugin development editor font
- Testing with Robolectric in Eclipse
- Renderscript bytecode not generating on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
- How to run Spark processing in parallel in Eclipse?
- Boost.log V1 Compilation Error
- When I debug my application I get frequently Launch error: Failed to connect to remote VM
- Setting up Eclipse to always include hadoop jar files
- DEADLINE_EXCEEDED when try to use AutoML Vision client with Google Cloud Platform
- How do I import JavaFX into Eclipse?
- CFBuilder:- File dissappears from the SS/workspace off and on
- How do I display only active Mercurial-branches in Eclipse Luna?