i do not have numbers or trials but i can say that i have seen
d3 go slow after certain data sizes especially for certain types of graphs. 500.000 seems to be quite huge in terms of data points so if you have no way to reduce that number by aggregation (such as representing 10 day data as 1 day) you might be right about worrying.
as in all performance related questions, the best way to know is to test it, so i can advice you to test it and see if it fits your requirements. if it does not you might want to try some of the non-free libraries such as
highcharts. another free library which satisfies me with its performance is
chart.js (although it only has 6 charts supported).
i don't think that using d3 for representing a massive amounts of data is the right choice due to performance:
- complex visualization logic can easily hang the browser for multiple seconds.
- large data manipulation using dom could be slow.
- D3 Performance with large data ( & feedback needed)
- Performance of D3 treemap with large amounts of data
- Reduce the size of a large data set by sampling/interpolation to improve chart performance
- Using large JSON files with d3.js causes massive performance hits/crashes
- Geo heat map(google) with large data
- Formatting Large Dollar Values with Single Data Point in D3
- Managing large hierarchical data (collapsible tree) with auto-zooming to the expanded node
- Forced layout bubble chart with large data set problem
- Large or unknown number of data arrays with Multiple XY Line Chart in c3.js
- Appending multiple non-nested elements for each data member with D3.js
- D3 - how to deal with JSON data structures?
- How to handle layers with missing data points in d3.layout.stack()
- D3: update data with multiple elements in a group
- Combining Parent and Nested Data with d3.js
- nvd3.js : unable to bind onClick event with the data points in the svg
- Using D3 transition method with data for scatter plot
- How to update d3.js bar chart with new data
- Compare/Diff new data with previous data on d3.js update
- How to show c3.js No data but with legend for empty column?
- D3 Scatterplot with thousands of data points
- D3: use nest function to turn flat data with parent key into a hierarchy
- NVD3 line chart with realtime data
- How do I load JSON data synchronously with d3.js?
- How to pull data from mysql database and visualize with D3.JS?
- How to put text data with d3.js
- d3JS: Plot lower-density data version of a large data set when zoomed out on line/area chart
- Read csv data with D3.csv, each column in separate array
- How do I write recursive d3.js code to deal with nested data structures?
- D3.js scattergraph with large (>500,000) points? Clustering?
More Query from same tag
- How to highlight a source node and all its target nodes and corresponding links in d3 hierarchical edge bundling
- LeafletJs only show one country
- Stepline Chart with D3.js with individual lines
- How to add day numbers to D3 calendar heatmap?
- Performance issue using dc.js
- d3.js won't work in a shadowDOM
- D3 streamgraph layer fade function
- Adding mouseover popups to d3 tree leaves
- d3 version 4 path line smooth transition with Mike Bostock's example
- What's the purpose of appending an "m" when measureText
- What is the difference between "this" pointed by selection in d3.js between anonymous function and arrow function
- Cannot Clear React D3 Component Error for BarChart: "Cannot read property 'map' of undefined"
- Updating WebView on Android 5
- Cannot read property 'pack' of undefined
- in nvd3 multibarchart, some stacks lose their colors or otherwise become invisible
- D3.JS Dynamically replace <tspan>
- How to dynamically display a multiline text in D3.js?
- D3 how to properly get the key value INSIDE of a json object
- removing all svg elements in D3 save some specified
- is it possible to pass custom parametrs to tween?
- Multiple simple graphs on one page d3.js
- Updatable chord diagram
- How to remove "jumpiness" upon panning with d3.behavior.zoom()
- Create Stacked Bar chart for Timeseries X axis using C3.js
- Different filters for different charts using dc.js and crossfilter
- How to re-scale D3 map after zooming
- extend x and y axis length in scatterplot, d3js
- (d3.js) How to create labels outside arcs?
- How to reference data in second data set when loading via d3 v5 promises?
- Closure with D3.Transition.Each Callback