Let's look at the Whatever library. It does whatever. The repo for it is located at
https://github.com/someone/whatever.js (this is not a real repo).
The repo itself usually contains a variety of info, including documentation, style guides, and code organization. Whatever.js is actually made up of three files:
lib/whatever-xml.js. These get concatenated for actual use, but for development of whatever.js itself it's easier to work with separate files.
Having to deal with just commits all on a single file is absolutely horrible. Pull requests would be even worse.
The distributed version, aka
whatever.min.js, is a version of the repo code after it's been dealt with however it needs to be. In the case of most libraries the files just get concatenated, but for some libraries fancy things happen. The
.min.js version is the normal file, but after being run through a minification tool, these days usually UglifyJS2.
Some libraries will not even have all of the code in the main generated file, usually due to usage reasons. For example, Angular.js doesn't have the
ng-route module in
angular(.min).js, you need to include
angular-route(.min).js too. This is for sanity reasons, because quite a lot of Angular uses don't need or want the routing system, and it's a fairly big addon.
it is the same as with any project in development environment and deployment environment, so in github that's a development environment for d3.js d3.v3.js is the compiled library that you need to use in your product.
- difference between d3.v3.js and entire D3 repository
- What is the difference between svg's x and dx attribute?
- What is the difference between D3 and jQuery?
- Difference between GeoJSON and TopoJSON
- D3 difference between ordinal and linear scales
- Difference between svg and canvas in d3.js
- What is the difference between D3.js and Cytoscape.js?
- what's the difference between selection.style and selection.attr in D3.js?
- What is the difference between d3.scale.quantize() and d3.scale.quantile()?
- D3 - Difference between basis and linear interpolation in SVG line
- difference between function(d) and function(d,i)?
- What is the difference between alphaTarget and alphaMin?
- What is the difference between select() and selectAll()
- d3: difference between sort and ascending
- d3 zoom difference between Chrome and Firefox
- Is there a performance difference between SVG attributes and styles?
- What is the difference between .append and .join in D3.js
- Difference between select().append() and select().data().enter().append()?
- The difference between select using merge and selectAll in D3 update mode
- Difference between classed() and attr("class")
- Difference between D3 forceX/forceY and forceCenter
- Considerable difference between Firefox and IE displaying plot line chart
- Difference between d3.js and d3.v3.js
- what is the difference between d3.js and d3.express
- Difference between .split(/^|\s+/) and .split(/s+/)
- D3.js difference between 'd.value' and 'd[value]'
- Difference between dynamic rectangles and circles in d3?
- What is difference and similarities between Angular.js/D3.js/Node.js
- Difference between 'on' and 'call' in d3
More Query from same tag
- Simple Map D3 JSON
- Dimple.js bar length
- How do I make the height of a horizontal bar chart flexible in order to be resized when new data has been added in?
- hide the details of d3.chart before choosing something
- Does x,y attributes of a SVG really work?
- Complicated nested loops
- Restricting d3.js zoom to container
- d3-voronoi-map path not drawn
- NVD3 Cumulative Line Chart : How to save Line Chart as image
- d3.line not generating output for linechart
- Having trouble converting a D3 v3 Force Directed graph into D3 v4 library implementation?
- Can I define data point color with a function when using angular-chart?
- How to select multiple selectors with selectAll?
- Update the angular d3 text onclick
- Using queue() to load multiple files and assign to globals
- Importing local json file using d3.json does not work
- Brush.extent is returning wrong yMax and yMin values
- D3 circle pack layout mouseover event is getting triggered multiple times
- d3.js - svg filter equivalent with d3.js
- D3 v4 Realtime Chart with Brushing
- Horizontal Autoscroll on mouse drag is not working in D3 tree for firefox
- How can I make my lines spin with the globe?
- Set a threshold for each point
- Create circles on Stacked Area chart
- Add hyperlink to node text on a collapsible tree
- Triggering a Click Event on an SVG element
- D3.js Invisible rect element when using d3 append to add "rect" elements to an svg
- D3.js: Why are my legend tick marks' text disappearing?
- Cannot render path from source to target in D3.js, migrating v3 to v4
- Drag working only horizontally