There are three limiting factors when working with large amounts of data:
- The size of the file to load and the connection speed of the server/client.
- The processing to be done on the data.
- The rendering of the visual elements representing the data.
Without more details on your application, it's hard to guess which one it is, but in my experience it is almost always the third. The rendering of the elements usually takes most of the time it takes to display a visualisation.
The debug/web development tools in your browser should give you a better idea of where the bottleneck is; in particular you should be able to find out quite easily how long it takes to load the JSON. If that is significantly shorter than the time to display the visualisation, the problem is almost certainly the rendering of the elements.
In this case, there are two main things you can do. You can either reduce the number of elements shown (e.g. by aggregating), or switch to a different rendering mechanism. In particular, canvas renders significantly faster than SVG. If you make that switch, you lose the interactivity that SVG makes quite easy, so it's a tradeoff that depends on your particular application.
- Maximum Data File Size for D3.js
- How to load data from an internal JSON array rather than from an external resource / file for a collapsible tree in d3.js?
- trying to get MySQL data into nested json file for d3?
- D3js - Reuse line definition/function for multiple data categories in file
- D3js: How to load a tsv file and select only the data which is available for two different points
- Loading internal JSON data rather than from an external resource / file for a sunburst in d3
- Converting separate data frames to a JSON file for a tidy tree chart
- Load popup on hover data from json file for datamaps
- set maximum value for c3js scatter chart plot size
- Specific font size for specific data values
- Getting data from json file for D3 bubble chart
- What is meaning of size in json file for drag and drop collapsible tree in d3.js
- Appending multiple non-nested elements for each data member with D3.js
- D3js take data from an array instead of a file
- Learning d3.js for data visualisation
- How/Where do I get geoJSON data for states, provinces, and administrative regions of non-US countries?
- How to load data from a CSV file in D3 v5
- D3.js binding an object to data and appending for each key
- d3 - reading JSON data instead of CSV file
- Using an associative array as data for D3
- Is D3.js the right choice for real-time visualization of Neo4j Graph DB data
- Cannot import data from csv file in d3
- Using Other Data Sources for cubism.js
- D3.js loading local data file from file:///
- In d3.js, skip append() for null data
- Proper format for drawing polygon data in D3
- how to use svg file for image source in D3
- Using D3 transition method with data for scatter plot
- Loading local data for visualization using D3.js
- how to create labels for data in donut chart using d3.js
More Query from same tag
- Static force layout in D3 v4
- Converting from D3js 2.4.4 to 3.5.5
- How to reset/remove zoom transform stored in an element in d3 v4?
- D3.js - Data From CSV Not Displaying, Static Data Will
- Legend text background change on mouse-hover over d3 doughnut chart
- Changing D3.js input format from .csv to an array of dates
- What is the correct way to select leaf nodes in D3 partition layout example and apply different fill color?
- Repainting/Refreshing Graph in D3
- How to properly generate TopoJSON for California Population Density
- D3 force layout graph with nodes positioned in a grid
- Grouped scatter plot with multiple datasets D3
- How to write two different text in different axis?
- D3.js not getting y axis values
- Align Marker on node edges D3 Force Layout
- Acquire the data associated with a line in D3.js
- Making a scrollable tooltip in d3 pie chart
- Trouble with storing enter selections containing transitions
- How to update a single data point in d3 without touching other elements?
- d3 svg clippath with path
- D3.js - Appending LinearIcons to SVG
- Line charts in d3.js using d3.chart.js
- Data table with vertical heading d3
- How do I use JSON data in D3 which was received from WEB-Service?
- D3js value of .data(...) field does not change on window resize. Is there a way to change it?
- d3 v4: How to make a path being curved when only start and end point are known?
- d3.js - Text position based on text width
- d3.v4: How to use linkRadial instead of linkVertical/Horizontal
- Timing issue on multi-line chart?